Sermon helper for atheist church

General discussion on the subject of religion, losing religion, and having no religion to lose...
Lausten
Persistent Poster

Sermon helper for atheist church

Postby Lausten » Tue May 17, 2016 1:26 am

My latest project. Comment at will.
I thought I'd start by making a case for not arguing about what God is by telling the story of how I arrived at that decision.

There's also a link to a free online version of "50 Voices of Disbelief". One of the more influential books on my path to unbelief.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: Sermon helper for atheist church

Postby Gord » Tue May 17, 2016 10:46 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sermon

A sermon is an oration, lecture, or talk by a member of a religious institution or clergy. Sermons address a Biblical, theological, religious, or moral topic, usually expounding on a type of belief, law or behavior within both past and present contexts. Elements of the sermon often include exposition, exhortation and practical application.

How can you have an atheist sermon? It seems contrarian, like "sexual abstinence" or "medicinal alcoholism".

Edit: I typed "atheist sherman" the first try. :facepalm:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Tue May 17, 2016 3:19 pm

You're supposed to say sermon using air quotes.
This is a sentence. tHi5 iz a seN+3nce oN drUgs!!!

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty"--sign seen at Occupy Wall St. protest.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Tue May 17, 2016 7:50 pm

Good points. First of all, it's a helper, not a sermon. Sermons often include historical context, translations, commentary from other theologians and much more. I'm doing all of that. Sometimes I get preachy about science. Sometimes I find a moral in the story without needing to believe in god. I think the only thing I miss is the "member of a religious institution or clergy", but I actually am officially on the books as a lay speaker in the United Methodist church, and there is no belief requirement for that position. There are a few clergy out there who are openly atheist too.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Mon May 23, 2016 2:42 am

Hope you enjoyed this week. I happened to be in the town of my old church and stopped in for a sermon but mostly the chance to visit old friends. My former pastor solved the theodicy problem by saying it's about community. That we suffer for each other. We sacrifice a little comfort for ourselves for the good of the larger whole. Not really a solution to me, certainly not a solution to the existence of God. A solution to how humans can better live together perhaps, but I don't think Paul was talking about a humanist solution to the problems of 1st century Palestine.

This week, a little magic from Elijah, the allegory of death and the NT, some slavery. Heavy stuff.

Return to “The Letting Go of God Forum”