Evolution … it's our story:

General discussion on the subject of religion, losing religion, and having no religion to lose...

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Re: Evolution … it's our story:

Postby Aztexan » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:14 pm

Oh no! God's evolving.
This is a sentence. tHi5 iz a seN+3nce oN drUgs!!!

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty"--sign seen at Occupy Wall St. protest.

ElectricMonk
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:27 pm

Aztexan wrote:Oh no! God's evolving.

It's the babelfish all over again....
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:47 pm

The whole point of reading ANYTHING, or actually LOOKING at anything for that matter, is to provide material for the honing of our critical thinking faculties. no matter what one believes or disbelieves.
(Unless you are reading a repair-your-television manual, that is. In which case the steps should be followed as written.
Otherwise, QUESTION EVERYTHING. is still the order of the da

No?
Anyway, what pleases me, when I red the paper with my morning coffee, is that despite all attempts by the power or religion too contain it, investigations in to the origins of species goes on apace, and the story is so complicated, so so compelling, so dramatic that the pallid invention called "creation" is simply vapid and uninteresting in comparison.
Some great poetry , of course, and a part of our ongoing history, but tedious compared with the saga of the algae that climbed out the East African pool.

NMB

TJrandom
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:37 pm

Just think... someday in the distant future, this little fishies` spawn may evolve into an intelligent being and come to the conclusion that God made him in His image. :fish:

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:38 am

nmblum88 wrote:The whole point of reading ANYTHING, or actually LOOKING at anything for that matter, is to provide material for the honing of our critical thinking faculties. no matter what one believes or disbelieves.

:lol:

Please put me on ignore.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:51 am

Gord wrote:
nmblum88 wrote:The whole point of reading ANYTHING, or actually LOOKING at anything for that matter, is to provide material for the honing of our critical thinking faculties. no matter what one believes or disbelieves.

:lol:

Please put me on ignore.

Why would I bother?
I see no reason to put ANYONE on ignore: I read what I choose to read, about 10% and elide the rest…. as having nothing to do with me OR with any actual human concerns, intellectual or emotional
Just muster all the self-disciple of which you are capable, if any, and ignore ME.
Where is all this infantile behavior coming from?
Or going?

Norma Manna Blum

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:20 am

I thought it was clear: You will never have any point reading what I post, as you take no material from what I write, or if you do, you fail to hone your critical thinking faculties by its reading.

I, on the other hand, read for more than one purpose. Pleasure, for instance, is a great motivator for me, and I enjoy reading things that make me laugh. Curiosity is another. As you do with my posts, I learn very little (if any) critical thinking from yours. Yet as I do not limit my reading to those things by which I wish to hone anything, I see no point in making you invisible.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:39 am

A nice story at the link. I was more gob smacked years ago when first seeing the mud skippers. Always wanted one as a pet. Never got around to it.

So.....how long before cave river fish evolve to land walking creatures? Evolution keeps giving it a go. A good thing since I "assume" the conditions to create life from non life on earth is no longer possible.... the original conditions being so hostile to (evolved) life. Still fun to think that life may have actually got started at thermal hot vents rather than seeded from space or in tide pools.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Return to “The Letting Go of God Forum”