And now, back to the original programming…..

General discussion on the subject of religion, losing religion, and having no religion to lose...

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Re: And now, back to the original programming…..

Postby Poodle » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:45 pm

"The resolution of this image revealed features with a size of less than half a city block ...".

I hate it when that happens. I wonder how the editor responsible for that would feel if I described something as "two-thirds the size of a cricket pitch" or 112x40 Morris Dance capers.

Hello Norma. Nice to see you again.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:00 pm

Poodle wrote:"The resolution of this image revealed features with a size of less than half a city block ...".

I hate it when that happens. I wonder how the editor responsible for that would feel if I described something as "two-thirds the size of a cricket pitch" or 112x40 Morris Dance capers.

Hello Norma. Nice to see you again.

Likewise, Poodle, likewise.
And I wish I could help you.
But of course, I have no idea whatever how the responsible editor would feel…
Perhaps you can ask someone who simply knows things like that.. someone who might be privy to the editor's emotional landscape without knowing him personally.
I like to imagine however, the pleased response of the editor were he to hear from you directly.
And of course, I hope that you were able to glean at least some wheat from that (to me) wonderful article.
Hope continues to spring eternal.
Norma

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:13 pm

nmblum88 wrote:Perhaps you can ask someone who simply knows things like that.. someone who might be privy to the editor's emotional landscape without knowing him personally.

I'm on it!

Poodle wrote:"The resolution of this image revealed features with a size of less than half a city block ...".

Oh my no. No no no no no.

City Blocks differ in size, but the typical square city block reaches 16 or 17 per mile, or 2.21 to 2.50 Acres. Engineers use a typical city block as 100,000 sq. ft. for calculation estimates, which is about 17 blocks per mile or 2 1/4 acres. (A football field is 300 feet by 160 feet, which is 1.1 Acres.)

In North American English and Australian English the term block is used as an informal unit of distance; for example, when giving directions (e.g. "It's three blocks from here.").

In British English the term is very rarely used to express a measure of distance due to 'blocks' not being used in town or city planning.

Since the spacing of streets in grid plans varies so widely among cities, or even within cities, it is difficult to generalize about the size of a city block. However, as reference points, the standard square blocks of Portland, Houston, and Sacramento are 260 by 260 feet (79 m × 79 m), 330 by 330 feet (100 m × 100 m), and 410 by 410 feet (120 m × 120 m) respectively (to the street center line). Oblong blocks range considerably in width and length. The standard block in Manhattan is about 264 by 900 feet (80 m × 274 m); and in some U.S. cities standard blocks are as wide as 660 feet (200 m). The blocks in Edmonton, Canada are 330 by 560 feet (100 m × 170 m). The blocks in central Melbourne, Australia, are 330 by 660 feet (100 m × 200 m), formed by splitting the square blocks in an original grid with a narrow street down the middle.

Therefore we can conclude that "less than half a city block" is equal to between but not including ("BBNI") zero and 200 meters.

A cricket pitch, on the other hand, is 20.12 meters long and 3.05 meters wide.

"Two-thirds the size of a cricket pitch" is a much more accurate measurement than "less than half a city block". No editor at the NY Times would dare be that precise.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:31 pm

Gord wrote:
nmblum88 wrote:Perhaps you can ask someone who simply knows things like that.. someone who might be privy to the editor's emotional landscape without knowing him personally.

I'm on it!

Oh my no. No no no no no.

City Blocks differ in size, but the typical square city block reaches 16 or 17 per mile, or 2.21 to 2.50 Acres. Engineers use a typical city block as 100,000 sq. ft. for calculation estimates, which is about 17 blocks per mile or 2 1/4 acres. (A football field is 300 feet by 160 feet, which is 1.1 Acres.)

In North American English and Australian English the term block is used as an informal unit of distance; for example, when giving directions (e.g. "It's three blocks from here.").

In British English the term is very rarely used to express a measure of distance due to 'blocks' not being used in town or city planning.

Since the spacing of streets in grid plans varies so widely among cities, or even within cities, it is difficult to generalize about the size of a city block. However, as reference points, the standard square blocks of Portland, Houston, and Sacramento are 260 by 260 feet (79 m × 79 m), 330 by 330 feet (100 m × 100 m), and 410 by 410 feet (120 m × 120 m) respectively (to the street center line). Oblong blocks range considerably in width and length. The standard block in Manhattan is about 264 by 900 feet (80 m × 274 m); and in some U.S. cities standard blocks are as wide as 660 feet (200 m). The blocks in Edmonton, Canada are 330 by 560 feet (100 m × 170 m). The blocks in central Melbourne, Australia, are 330 by 660 feet (100 m × 200 m), formed by splitting the square blocks in an original grid with a narrow street down the middle.

Therefore we can conclude that "less than half a city block" is equal to between but not including ("BBNI") zero and 200 meters.

"Two-thirds the size of a cricket pitch" is a much more accurate measurement than "less than half a city block". No editor at the NY Times would dare be that precise.

Now haven't I been the super-cranky termagant to even imply that this was not the most curiosity, fact driven, science emphatic Forum on the entire internet?
So happy to be wrong….better overkill than no explanation at all.
And certainly the more you know, the more you know.

NMB

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:44 pm

Termagant?? No one worships Termagant any more, NMB. But I suppose that's understandable, as no one ever really did in the first place.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:55 pm

Gord wrote:Termagant?? No one worships Termagant any more, NMB. But I suppose that's understandable, as no one ever really did in the first place.

Dipping into Wikipedia, eh? And with the speed of light.
However I had nothing so grandiose as THE Termagant in mind.
Just your ordinary, everyday, sharp -tongued female…
Howzat?
Better now?
Pals?
I, by the way, do not require worship, but… no apologies…I certainly like to have my back rubbed once in a while.
And damn!! I surely do LOVE the occasional breakfast in bed.
I am definitely human.

NMB
P.S. Can we be friends again if I withdraw "termagant" entirely and replace it with "virago?"
Or the equally secular "harridan?"

NMB

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:13 pm

Gord wrote:... A cricket pitch, on the other hand, is 20.12 meters long and 3.05 meters wide.

I asked for that, being so loose in my terminology. Of course, I meant a cricket field. The size of such a thing is not defined anywhere within the rules of the game. The pitch, on the other hand, does have the dimensions you mention, but civilised people would define it as 22 yards by 10 feet, thus preventing the Frenchies from claiming to have invented the game.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:59 pm

Poodle wrote:..... thus preventing the Frenchies from claiming to have invented the game.

napoleon.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:32 am

nmblum88 wrote:
Gord wrote:Termagant?? No one worships Termagant any more, NMB. But I suppose that's understandable, as no one ever really did in the first place.

No, I just like history and mythology. When someone a few years ago suggested Allah may have originally been a moon god with a wife and three daughters, I thought it might have something to do with the Termagant myth, but I never found out.

P.S. Can we be friends again if I withdraw "termagant" entirely and replace it with "virago?"

NMB

I'll make you breakfast in bed if you replace it with "bitch". 8-)
#ANDAMOVIE

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:37 am

Poodle wrote:...civilised people would define it as 22 yards by 10 feet....

Don't be silly. Civilised people still use cubits, palms, and fingers.
#ANDAMOVIE

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Flash » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:17 am

And stones.
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

Abdul Alhazred
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Yes that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:46 am

It's in The New York Times, a publication native to Manhattan south of 96th street.

A city block is a rectangle 1/20th of a mile by 1/7th of a mile.

London, Melbourne, Chicago, Brooklyn and Pluto all have in common that they are NOT Manhattan south of 96th street.

:mrgreen:
Scientists don't know everything, therefore my favorite flavor of stoopidz is true.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:53 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:London, Melbourne, Chicago, Brooklyn and Pluto all have in common that they are NOT Manhattan south of 96th street

Are you trying to sell me on Pluto?
#ANDAMOVIE

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:01 am

Gord wrote:
nmblum88 wrote:

No, I just like history and mythology. When someone a few years ago suggested Allah may have originally been a moon god with a wife and three daughters, I thought it might have something to do with the Termagant myth, but I never found out.

NMB

I'll make you breakfast in bed if you replace it with "bitch". 8-)

Thanks… but I don't think so.

I'm absolutely certain you mean well, but given my druthers, I'd rather have a waiter than a waitress.

And then of course, I don't speak Hypochondria OR Whining, so communication would be a problem.

NMB

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:20 am

nmblum88 wrote:I don't speak Hypochondria OR Whining

Well I do, and your translation program is doing a wonderful job.
#ANDAMOVIE

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:16 pm

Gord wrote:
nmblum88 wrote:I don't speak Hypochondria OR Whining

Well I do, and your translation program is doing a wonderful job.

Again, you are too kind,
But no mere translation program is capable of keeping up with your spectacular, even awe inspiring, facility in those languages.
I am constantly aware of how much of substance and illumination I must have missed over the years.
And the loss continues to pain me even as we speak.

NMB

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:07 am

nmblum88 wrote:But no mere translation program is capable of keeping up with your spectacular, even awe inspiring, facility in those languages.

Oh my no, your hypochondria and whining far exceed my own humble efforts. Your every post positively drips with both. :nownow: Or are we to believe your applied disorders are not purposeful?
#ANDAMOVIE

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:17 pm

Gord wrote:
nmblum88 wrote:But no mere translation program is capable of keeping up with your spectacular, even awe inspiring, facility in those languages.

Oh my no, your hypochondria and whining far exceed my own humble efforts. Your every post positively drips with both. :nownow: Or are we to believe your applied disorders are not purposeful?

F

Obviously "evidence" is just a word in your vocabulary.
Not to be taken seriously at all.
Inspiring.

NMB

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:32 am

nmblum88 wrote:
Gord wrote:

F

Obviously "evidence" is just a word in your vocabulary.
Not to be taken seriously at all.
Inspiring.

NMB

Yeah, I don't think you understand my definition of "evidence". It's pretty easy to find online, though. Goes something similar to this:

the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid

All I have to judge your posts by is what you post. If they're not meant to be a cry for help, you're doing them wrong. :neener:
#ANDAMOVIE

Return to “The Letting Go of God Forum”