When…..

General discussion on the subject of religion, losing religion, and having no religion to lose...
nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

When…..

Postby nmblum88 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:14 pm

…….. did Michael Shermer's name disappear from the masthead for this Forum?
Have I missed an explanation for this not entirely surprising event?

NMB

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Re: When…..

Postby gorgeous » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:17 pm

he must have found God...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:25 pm

gorgeous wrote:he must have found God…

There is no god.
But chagrin does exist.

Norma Manna Blum

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:56 pm

He got tired of reading our junk and decided to annul our marriage.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:23 pm

Gord wrote:He got tired of reading our junk and decided to annul our marriage.

Whatever.
But just as it is certain that Shermer NEVER participated here at any level or any time (not even a "Hello there, glad to see you in my Forum!") it does seem unlikely that he actually ever read what you so modestly refer to as junk…
Maybe…
Maybe not. .
I happen to think (my opinion… hardly gospel) that over time past there have been some extraordinary pieces of writing here, some extraordinary examples of thought, or perception, of humor and wit.
Silver threads among the … well, not so silver.
What I asked however, was WHEN it happened…. I seem to have missed any announcement that accompany the adieu.
What I did hear, from a (skeptical) acquaintance who attended the fairly recent convention held at Cal Tech, was that Lawrence Krauss was surprised to hear that there WAS such a Forum (or for that matter two Forums).

Do you think curiosity about your chosen environment is such a bad thing?

NMB

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:25 pm

God exists ..many people have had encounters...they felt the over whelming power and compassion..
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:45 pm

gorgeous wrote:God exists ..many people have had encounters…they felt the over whelming power and compassion..

Just as I have felt yours… although it never occurred to me that I was fooling around with god.

NMB

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:46 pm

Men like Michael Shermer don't have to read this junk. They have people who read it for them. Or sometimes to them. Usually in their sleep.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:52 pm

nmblum88 wrote:
gorgeous wrote:God exists ..many people have had encounters…they felt the over whelming power and compassion..

Just as I have felt yours… although it never occurred to me that I was fooling around with god.

NMB

-----------God to you NMB :mrgreen: where have you been ? Were your bees holding you hostage?....btw...Scalia was murdered...yay or nay? I say yay...you must know the truth...

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:41 pm

gorgeous wrote:
nmblum88 wrote:

NMB

-----------God to you NMB :mrgreen: where have you been ? Were your bees holding you hostage?....btw...Scalia was murdered...yay or nay? I say yay...you must know the truth...

Can't fool you.
The bees HAVE been holding me hostage.
And they have been paid a pretty penny to let me go.
So far the cost of two hardly filled, 8 ounce jars of not spectacular honey amounts to… well, who not an accountant could possibly know?
That, and the possible loss of a once amicable, admired/admiring , and source- of-concert- tickets neighbor who is not happy about the hives being so close to his pool area.. (They ARE gonna be moved…as soon as I find some desperate immigrants to do the actual lifting..)
And you say there is a god?
A compassionate god?
What in the world is WRONG with you?
NMB
P.S. Never mind.
I have never met anyone who mind was changed about anything in the course of participating here.
(Okay, maybe about which oil to use on a recalcitrant also carburator
But as WE (Illuninati) ask at the rapidly approaching Passover,"why is this night different from any other night."
NMB
P.P.S.
Scalia?
Maybe his wife did it…
You know what they say about ultra-conservative, moralistic, martinet-on-behalf-of-others, men.

NMB

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:14 pm

Things seemed to have changed with the forum update last May.
Hi, Io the lurker.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:16 pm

you will change your tune when you meet God...and you will....

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:20 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Things seemed to have changed with the forum update last May.

Think that's what killed Scalia?

NMB
P.S. WHAT things?
Science?
Critical thinking?
Human sensibilities? Fun?

NMB

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:28 pm

gorgeous wrote:you will change your tune when you meet God…and you will....

Are you addressing me?
I have already, in a long and busy life, met as many gods as I could have handled.
And recently… yesterday in fact at Union Station in San Diego… I met a woman who told me she had not only met God, but that he had told her that Norma Blum would buy her a hamburger.
Which I did… and threw in an apple, just in case.
I balked at the ticket to Los Angeles, though.
So score one for the imaginary god.
And one for the flesh, blood and bone, Norma Blum.
NMB

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:47 pm

nmblum88 wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:Things seemed to have changed with the forum update last May.

Think that's what killed Scalia?

NMB

Yep. He didn't get a chance to threaten to sue Mr Shermer. The agony of missing that boat did him in.

P.S. WHAT things?
Science?
Critical thinking?
Human sensibilities? Fun?

NMB

Things regarding the question of the OP. I don't think there's even a mention/link from the society's page to this fine establishment anymore?*

...where fun is to be had... among other things. : )

* (At least I didn't see one when visiting. But I might be mistaken.)
Hi, Io the lurker.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:07 am

nmblum88 wrote: But just as it is certain that Shermer NEVER participated here at any level or any time (not even a "Hello there, glad to see you in my Forum!")

I received kind words from Mr Shermer in an email after making a donation. I think the man is simply very busy, Our forum is not part of the Society's greater strategy but rather just a generous friendly gift to fellow skeptics.

Let's not bite the hand feeding us gifts.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:44 am

Again, I must have missed something: WHO is biting?
What HAND?
What GIFTS?
I asked a question: I was not disparaging Michael Shermer, who is certainly permitted to do do what he likes with this Forum… including ignoring it.
A QUESTION, that miraculous tool of the skeptic: "WHEN did he remove his name, and thus his obvious connection with this Forum???
When a question becomes, per se, a disparagement or even a disagreement, then it will take more than skepticism to save us from our worst selves.
Norma Manna Blum
P.S. And kind words? If money and flattery don't elicit at least even a kind word, what will?
NMB

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:52 am

nmblum88 wrote: "WHEN did he remove his name, and thus his obvious connection with this Forum???
At the top of the forum you will see five drop down menus

"Magazine" "Society" "Education" "Shop" and "Donate"

"Society" is the link to the Skeptic Society, a charitable organisation that aims at promoting critical thinking. The Skeptic Society, generously hosts our forum.

Did you fail to see the menus?

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:12 am

No.
I saw them.

They explain nothing about why Shermer has removed HIS NAME from the masthead for the Forum.
Again I asked a QUESTION.
That's about it..
Zeus is not the only one who doesn't answer a question that has been asked 7 times.

Norma Manna Blum
P.S. Is it more or less acceptable to interrupt a public (and lunatic) thread, then it is to answer a question, the same question over and over, when it really wasn't directed at the usual suspect?
Ands wouldn't it be foolish… and ignoring experience.. if I ( or anyone else) imagined that he were in any way informed as to the answer?

NMB

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:28 am

nmblum88 wrote:They explain nothing about why Shermer has removed HIS NAME from the masthead for the Forum.
Can you remember Pyrrho redesigning the layout of the forum and we lost our old UFO picture? Where did you think Michael Shermer's face appeared on the old layout?

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:05 am

LOL… Ah… we old ladies are notoriously deprived of the faculties which enable even bookkeepers to shine.
No, I don't remember…
Why else would I pose a question, inconsequential OR earth shaking, if I knew the answer?
Never mind,
About an hour ago, I received an e-mail telling me what I wanted to know from someone who actually does know.
That doesn't mean I don't appreciate a fellow poster taking time out of what must be an extraordinarily busy schedule… that exemplary "discussion" on genetics…!!!..to fiddle around with a matter and a person of so little importance.
Because I certainly do.
Appreciate it, I mean.

And now, I'mm off to have some dinner and listen to some contemporary jazz…
Man does not live by laughing alone.

Norma Manna Blum

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:31 am

Supervitor wrote: Why else would I pose a question, inconsequential OR earth shaking, if I knew the answer?

To seek attention, like Zeuzzz. :D

Return to “The Letting Go of God Forum”