Who are you to Question God

General discussion on the subject of religion, losing religion, and having no religion to lose...
Lausten
Persistent Poster

Who are you to Question God

Postby Lausten » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:59 pm

https://youtu.be/lhMcK85xqfg

This is just one of many in a series. Matt has been debating for years, and has honed his craft. He used to be kinda mean, but he's starting to get kinda funny. He doesn't present lame arguments with "gotcha" endings. He actually spends some time explaining why many atheist arguments are bad. These tubes can be good for educating friends or enemies or for learning how to better handle your own discussions.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Re: Who are you to Question God

Postby Monster » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:19 pm

A theist asked me "who are you to question god?" when I criticized his god. My answer was, "I'm a person with a brain and an opinion."
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:22 pm

Matt Dillahunty wrote this as a reply to one of the commenters. It makes me tee hee.

+truth1901 we're not friends. You think you can diagnose my tooth problem when all you know is that I had a tooth removed?

This is indicative of the problem with the way you think. You reach conclusions with insufficient information.

I'm not interested in future calls or comments from you.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:29 pm

Monster wrote:A theist asked me "who are you to question god?" when I criticized his god. My answer was, "I'm a person with a brain and an opinion."

-----ooooohhhh....buurrrrnnnnnn...sure ....smart people don't believe in God....-----50 NOBEL LAUREATES WHO BELIEVE IN GOD

nobelist.tripod.com/
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:38 pm

gorgeous wrote:
Monster wrote:A theist asked me "who are you to question god?" when I criticized his god. My answer was, "I'm a person with a brain and an opinion."

-----ooooohhhh....buurrrrnnnnnn...sure ....smart people don't believe in God....-----50 NOBEL LAUREATES WHO BELIEVE IN GOD

nobelist.tripod.com/

I wasn't actually saying that I was a smart person. I was saying that I was a thinking person, and the theist was telling me to not think. I hope that is clear for you now.

Nobel laureates who disbelieve or believe in any god is irrelevant to criticizing a god.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:48 pm

gorgeous wrote:

nobelist.tripod.com/

And I give you 37% of the world's population who have no religion at all. Admittedly, that means 63% do have a religion, but they're all disagreeing on who has the best (and only) god, so they're hardly in authority.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:51 pm

Lausten wrote:https://youtu.be/lhMcK85xqfg

This is just one of many in a series. Matt has been debating for years, and has honed his craft. He used to be kinda mean, but he's starting to get kinda funny. He doesn't present lame arguments with "gotcha" endings. He actually spends some time explaining why many atheist arguments are bad. These tubes can be good for educating friends or enemies or for learning how to better handle your own discussions.

I didn't know that these videos of his existed. I've just listened to the Atheist Experience and some of his debates. I'm listening to some of these "Atheist Debate" videos while I work. They're entertaining.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:16 pm

Monster wrote:I didn't know that these videos of his existed. I've just listened to the Atheist Experience and some of his debates. I'm listening to some of these "Atheist Debate" videos while I work. They're entertaining.

Did you mean to put "while I work" in scare quotes?
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:23 pm

Lausten wrote:
Monster wrote:I didn't know that these videos of his existed. I've just listened to the Atheist Experience and some of his debates. I'm listening to some of these "Atheist Debate" videos while I work. They're entertaining.

Ok, sure, it's hard to work while I listen, but it's still possible. Sometimes, I must concentrate, so I turn it off.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:25 pm

Monster wrote:I wasn't actually saying that I was a smart person. I was saying that I was a thinking person, and the theist was telling me to not think. I hope that is clear for you now.

Nobel laureates who disbelieve or believe in any god is irrelevant to criticizing a god.

Careful how you set yourself up :).

One of the rebuts he re-rebuts is "would an ant question Einstein?" Well, if an ant could do such a thing, yes. And, question him about what? About why Einstein just poked at his anthill with his big toe? Why wouldn't you question that? If you don't, then you are just a drone, rebuilding your anthill with no awareness of the larger world. You take what someone else told you and accept it with no questions.

My follow-up was, question Einstein about what, the theory of relativity and the origins of the universe? You, (the god defending theist) question Einstein despite your lack of knowledge of cosmology and physics, why can't I, average guy on the street, question God? The difference is, Einstein, or any living physicists today, would direct me to the proper education so I could get answers and get to where my questions were on the cutting edge of science. People who asks these kinds of questions don't like answers at all, they can't define a cutting edge because it's all a big mystery, which is what they want.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:26 pm

Monster wrote:
Lausten wrote:

Ok, sure, it's hard to work while I listen, but it's still possible. Sometimes, I must concentrate, so I turn it off.

I usually have both home and work computers on when I'm "working at home", sometimes one wins, sometimes the other.

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:31 pm

Why would I question a fictional character?
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:44 pm

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:56 pm

Austin Harper wrote:Why would I question a fictional character?

You should listen to the story he tells of saying to someone, "who is God, not to be questioned". Try it, it's fun. They'll look at you like you just asked why you eat food or like puppies. What you are really questioning of course is the reported god from a person who was told about it by someone else, etc. So that's what you really need to break into.
Last edited by Lausten on Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:41 pm

I have never questioned God, or gods.... but would be happy to do so should a god come knocking.
Last edited by TJrandom on Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:52 am

I disbelieve in god. I doubt gods exist. I deny gods exist. I laugh at the idea of gods. I question people who believe in such silly notions.
This is a sentence. tHi5 iz a seN+3nce oN drUgs!!!

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty"--sign seen at Occupy Wall St. protest.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:19 pm

"Who are you to question God?"

"I'm not questioning God, I'm the one who doesn't talk to imaginary people, remember?"
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:33 pm

Snappy comebacks rarely accomplish much. They always have comeback comebacks.

Who are you to question Paul's experience on the road to Damascus?
Who are you to question Moses' report of the burning bush or the 10 commandments?
Who are you to question the gospel writers who were witnesses?

I know you all have snappy comebacks to those to, but I'm not playing theological football here. I'm saying, get to the real question. Are you talking to a Biblical literalist or a slippery liberal Christian who thinks God is Love? Did they have a personal experience or was it their mother that inserted God language into every conversation?

The questions he ends with, who are you not to question God, why wouldn't you? Those questions will help you get to know whomever you're talking to.
Last edited by Lausten on Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:52 pm

If that's what you want.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:57 pm

The question - Who are you to question god? is itself a `snappy question` and deserves a snappy comeback. It falls into the same pattern and depth of thinking as do these:

Who are you to question fairies? ... Santa Clause? ... the Easter Bunny? ... the existence of aliens, the abdominal snowman, bridge trolls? ... etc.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:23 am

Okay, don't listen to these videos. You obviously have no interest in reaching people who are screwing up the world by being a danger to themselves and others. These people vote, they teach their children this crap. If you leave them alone, they will continue to put people in power and raise another generation just like this one. If that's fine with you, fine. Do you also stand on a small hill and laugh at the guy who is being drowned by a flood event caused by global warming? Do you say, guns actually do kill people, to a guy holding a gun?

Snap Snap

Snap

Snap Snap

That's my Z snap! It works better when I'm waving my hand in your face.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:10 am

Lausten wrote:Okay, don't listen to these videos. You obviously have no interest in reaching people who are screwing up the world by being a danger to themselves and others. These people vote, they teach their children this crap. If you leave them alone, they will continue to put people in power and raise another generation just like this one. If that's fine with you, fine. Do you also stand on a small hill and laugh at the guy who is being drowned by a flood event caused by global warming? Do you say, guns actually do kill people, to a guy holding a gun?

Snap Snap

Snap

Snap Snap

I don't think it's a matter of being snappy, Lausten, but more a shrug. I'm not interested in the slightest in converting believers - I think it's all a waste of breath. Certainly for me as I gave up believing in good fairies when I was a child. More to the point, though - I think it's not possible to convince anyone who believes this stuff (as opposed to those who merely claim to do so) that they are wrong.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:27 am

Poodle wrote:I don't think it's a matter of being snappy, Lausten, but more a shrug. I'm not interested in the slightest in converting believers - I think it's all a waste of breath. Certainly for me as I gave up believing in good fairies when I was a child. More to the point, though - I think it's not possible to convince anyone who believes this stuff (as opposed to those who merely claim to do so) that they are wrong.

And why should I care that you don't care? Do I follow up your posts with, "that's a worthless post, this is something I don't care about." ?

The index is called "Letting Go of God". There are lots of other topics on this forum. Most of them are things I don't care about. You can tell because I'm not posting anything there.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:32 am

Lausten wrote:... Do you say, guns actually do kill people, to a guy holding a gun?

Snap Snap

Snap

Snap Snap

Actually - yes, for the gun nutter - I do say that guns kill people. But I wouldn`t be invading a person’s space by waving my hand in front of their face - gun, or no gun.

For religion, a true believer is going to believe no matter what you do, since they will have built their life (friends, activities, personal stories, etc.) around that belief. For the true believer and the `surface believer` alike, IMO it is enough to lead an honorable life and let them know that you do not believe, nor do countless others, and that no harm comes from acknowledging this to yourself and others. Simply lead by example.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:35 am

Snappy, Lausten. You were in the process of berating us for not wishing to reach believers. I put forward the view that it was a waste of time. I also gave you a reason for my disinterest.

But why should I care that you don't care I don't care?

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:18 am

Lausten wrote:Do you also stand on a small hill and laugh at the guy who is being drowned by a flood event caused by global warming?

Um, what? I sit on my couch and roll my eyes at the guy who built on the shore of a creek.

Do you say, guns actually do kill people, to a guy holding a gun?

I have in the past. But I really shouldn't have had to, the guy should have already known it.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:52 am

Poodle wrote:Snappy, Lausten. You were in the process of berating us for not wishing to reach believers. I put forward the view that it was a waste of time. I also gave you a reason for my disinterest.

But why should I care that you don't care I don't care?

You just answered your own question.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:21 pm

Read the thread. This is why I'm an atheist AND an anti-theist. "Logically" taking on the Epicurus challenge, the only valid thing a God could be is: all powerful.....maybe all knowing.......but he can't be all good because that is impossible--not just rhetorical as in can he create a rock that he can't lift sort of impossible. Good is a construct, not an absolute. We all build our constructs differently. I have met many people more powerful and more knowing than myself.....a God would only be degrees moreso.

In the end: the snappy comeback is: You are God, I'm not, so what?

........and yes, Matt Delahunty is an excellent atheist rep. He knows the bible backwards and forwards and could win most debates simply on the religious side not even understanding their own position......BEFORE.... he even would need to address the non believing side.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:21 am

I value freedom. That gives me the right to question whatever I deem worthy of questioning. Your god or gods included. To try to deny me that right or to try to stifle my freedom to think, question, wonder, ask, observe, experiment, seek, or dismiss any concept or idea crosses into the realm of thought control and oppression.
I question many things. Their pathetic, puny god is among them but not as important as real issues.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty"--sign seen at Occupy Wall St. protest.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:58 am

Aztexan wrote:I value freedom.

What's the value of a good freedom these days? In US currency, of course.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:12 am

Priceless. Plus tax.

Return to “The Letting Go of God Forum”