Where is the terrorism

General discussion on the subject of religion, losing religion, and having no religion to lose...
Lausten
Persistent Poster

Where is the terrorism

Postby Lausten » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:53 pm

I heard a comment in an interview recently that most terrorism in the world is perpetrated by Islamist's, but most of that happens within 5 countries that have been involved in civil war for decades. Anyone know of published statistics that break down terrorist acts geographically?
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Re: Where is the terrorism

Postby ElectricMonk » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:39 pm

I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

Canadian Skeptic
Regular Poster

Postby Canadian Skeptic » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:44 pm

I had identified this in the other thread we're involved in, Lausten, but I do still recommend Steven Fish's Are Muslims Distinctive?: A Look at the Evidence. I had also linked in that thread a short 15-20ish minute podcast in which he was a guest to discuss his findings.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:26 pm

Canadian Skeptic wrote:I had identified this in the other thread we're involved in, Lausten, but I do still recommend Steven Fish's Are Muslims Distinctive?: A Look at the Evidence. I had also linked in that thread a short 15-20ish minute podcast in which he was a guest to discuss his findings.

Yep, his is the quote I was referring to. So his book backs up the statement?
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

Canadian Skeptic
Regular Poster

Postby Canadian Skeptic » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:36 pm

Lausten wrote:
Canadian Skeptic wrote:I had identified this in the other thread we're involved in, Lausten, but I do still recommend Steven Fish's Are Muslims Distinctive?: A Look at the Evidence. I had also linked in that thread a short 15-20ish minute podcast in which he was a guest to discuss his findings.

Yep, his is the quote I was referring to. So his book backs up the statement?

Correct. And to my knowledge, it might be one of the only works that does so in any great detail, though he does admit it's only a start, not an end, to the question. As I understand it, he did the statistical analyses primarily because he found most other studies of this nature cherry picked and/or manipulated the data in order to achieve some particular ideological agenda (whether apologetics or to demonize Islam, choose your poison), so he intended this to be as neutral and wide-reaching as possible.

Whether or not he achieves neutrality (I think he probably does, mostly), and whether or not you agree with his conclusions, is one thing. But the data, as far as I can tell (I'm no expert on statistics, so can't fully comment -- it does agree with most of the research on the social sciences side of things, however), appears to be sound.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:11 pm

Why has US gunboat diplomacy been exempt from the "terrorism" label?

Seems that any regime in South or Central America, Africa, or just about anywhere that hasn't pledged allegiance to the flag of the US of America has effectively invited invasion by US Marines, battleship bombardment, and now the droning of emerging leaders progressing downward from the middle-aged as they have been evaporated, to younger people, with irate teenagers now being the biggest alleged threats to the security of the US.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:42 am

Well Tom, if you're a foreigner or Noam Chomsky, it is. Terrorism is a matter of perspective.

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:47 am

Well, the US is the only country ever convicted by the International Court of Justice (ICJ) for sponsoring terrorism (Nicaragua vs. United States 1986).
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:25 am

800 US bases in foreign countries. from http://www.thenation.com/article/the-un ... n-history/

Without checking, I'll assume the Nicaragua v US was about covert CIA activities? Sooooooo many reasons for so many to legitimately hate the USA. In my travels, somehow people do blame governments rather than people/tourists. Pragmatic/realistic/insightful on several levels.

While I love Noam, and everybody should know of his general position, I still wonder if there are legitimate differences between military action vs terrorism. I hope everyone can see a few differences, even as Noam doesn't, but the ultimate questions of life and death do rise above those distinctions for me. Perspective.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Return to “The Letting Go of God Forum”