Welcome and Who Are You People Anyway? by Julia Sweeney

General discussion on the subject of religion, losing religion, and having no religion to lose...
geology rocks

Re: Welcome and Who Are You People Anyway? by Julia Sweeney

Postby geology rocks » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:48 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:
geology rocks wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:
geology rocks wrote:
JO 753 wrote:Welcome. Geology rocks - haha!

It may not be gneiss but I love my geology puns. :oops:

Not me, I can't follow them without the cliff notes.

I would judge you, but I understand it may not be your fault.

These whet my apatite, but it's just one facet of my personality.

You breccia, I hate it when people only judge me by my clevage.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate

izittrue
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: former poster

Postby izittrue » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:09 pm

It's not all San Andreus' fault.
I am going to live forever because I believe in Santa Claus and God-
My sons 6 year old friend.

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Postby rickoshay85 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:08 pm

All right, I'll bite, what is LGOG?
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO. John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Wild animal

Postby Gord » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:57 am

rickoshay85 wrote:All right, I'll bite, what is LGOG?

One would assume it's the Letting Go Of God forums, through which we are both currently skimming, here.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Postby rickoshay85 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:20 am

Gord wrote:
rickoshay85 wrote:All right, I'll bite, what is LGOG?

One would assume it's the Letting Go Of God forums, through which we are both currently skimming, here.

Or maybe... Last Game Of Gord
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO. John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:59 am

I vote we rename it "LGOGA,YBTB" for Let Go Of God Already, You Big Titty-Baby!

Who's with me?
This is a sentence. tHi5 iz a seN+3nce oN drUgs!!!

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty"--sign seen at Occupy Wall St. protest.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:41 am

I think we should call it TEDDY, and see what kind of people it attracts. :hmm:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

OlegTheBatty
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:44 pm

O Goody! A social experiment. :pc:
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Postby rickoshay85 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:53 pm

Gord wrote:I think we should call it TEDDY, and see what kind of people it attracts. :hmm:

Which Teddy, bear, Roosevelt, Kennedy, women's unmentionables,

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:14 pm

Kaczynski
This is a sentence. tHi5 iz a seN+3nce oN drUgs!!!

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty"--sign seen at Occupy Wall St. protest.

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Postby rickoshay85 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:19 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:O Goody! A social experiment. :pc:

We've experimented with everything else and failed so why not social this time.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:10 am

rickoshay85 wrote:
Gord wrote:I think we should call it TEDDY, and see what kind of people it attracts. :hmm:

Which Teddy, bear, Roosevelt, Kennedy, women's unmentionables,

Like I said, we'd have to see.
#ANDAMOVIE

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Postby rickoshay85 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:41 pm

izittrue wrote:It's not all San Andreus' fault.

Of course not, asphalt has to take some of the blame

Durandal

Postby Durandal » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:48 am

JuliaSweeney wrote:Welcome to the new forum here at skepticforum.com! The Skeptic Society is really important to me, and it's the first place I ever performed "Letting Go of God." I'm going to try to be more active on this forum than on my previous forum (which was on my own website.)

Well, the movie premiered this morning on Showtime. I know because I have already received about twenty letters from people who saw it! I am so happy and relieved that this the movie is finished, the tech specifications were all met, the insurance people were all paid and clauses were added and so forth and now it really, actually, truly is out in the world. I am really hopeful that more and more people will enjoy and relate to the show - or even just listen to my side of the story.

It's funny, when I started working on this show atheism was not popular (that's how my mom would put it - "Atheism is just a fad right now!") and I didn't get the sense from my audiences that anyone knew who Richard Dawkins was. So much has changed in the last few years! It's really exciting that this world view - this particular brand of skepticism - is becoming more acceptable in the U.S. I really notice the impact of the popular success of the books by Shermer, Dennett, Dawkins and Harris. I feel lucky to be participating in this discussion about religion and able to share my story and my particular journey.

My question is: Who Are You People, Anyway? On my last forum, people wrote in and explained briefly their story. I was thinking that this thread could possibly work like that too. I love reading about how people have come from to get to their particular world view. Many people came from much more conservative and fundamentalist backgrounds than I did. I think they are truly heroic for taking the risk of questioning the truths that serve to adhere them to their community. I also think it's remarkable for people to come to question religious dogma and the concept of God even if they were raised with no religion. I will check in from time to time to read your responses.

I want to thank Michael Shermer and the Skeptic Society for just... well, existing! I love the Skeptic Society and feel sad that now, since I live in Illinois, I cannot attend the lectures anymore. What a wonderful environment you have created for people to question and find others who are also questioning.

It's so cool having you here! I heard your "Letting Go Of God" performance a number of months after letting go of God myself, and while my own story of it is unique in all the details, I can totally identify with what you were saying. I was raised a conservative Lutheran, and that even included a creationist worldview. Being the curious and skeptical type that I am, I ended up arguing myself out of the religion. That bit about taking the "god glasses" off (or was it putting the "no god glasses" on?) and taking a look around really struck a chord for me, as that's really what it was like, deciding that I would finally admit to myself that God is hocus pocus. It was at a specific moment, and I remember it well. Nothing exciting about it, though it was pivotal for me.

I finally made that choice, incidentally, after watching some Penn & Teller :D And for years I was not happy under the god delusion, to borrow from Dawkins, because it not only created an alternate reality that flew in the face of a lot of evidence (I liken religion to stubbornly believing in conspiracy theories), but it gave me an unrealistic moral absolute by which I was constantly judging both myself and the others around me. Talk about misery!

My father more or less agrees with my non-Lutheran views (I'm a full-blown Agnostic in theory, Atheist in deed now), but the rest of my family are about as Lutheran as can be yet and like to try getting me back. Well, I guess that's cooled off now by and large, really. It would be nice if they would "take the plunge" and try looking at the world from a realistic perspective as well, but they're all older than I and seem to be much more convinced of it all than I am. My brother even had a near-death experience and is convinced that the comfort he found in it came from the god of the King James bible.

Emotion is often the greatest enemy of objectivity.
I've twice been conquered-
Three times more,
Never again shall humanity purge me,
And never the Pfhor.

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Postby rickoshay85 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:43 pm

Durandal: Emotion is often the greatest enemy of objectivity.

Yeah, to bad it can't be controlled...

Freedom

Postby Freedom » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:33 am

Hi there!

I am letting go of God for the umpteenth time. For the past several years, I have been on a see-saw, grappling with the reasons why I choose to let go of God each time I do.

Around this time last year, I decided, in sheer panic, to become Catholic. I went through the RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) program at a church that had the most beautiful architecture. I was drawn by the music and the ritual, but more than that, I was afraid of being all alone in this big world in which we live. I chose religion on the basis that the secular world cannot be trusted. More on that in later posts!

Anyway, I'm pleasantly surprised to find Julia Sweeney here!

:D

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:54 pm

I think sumbudy tapped her on the shoulder and sed 'Don't talk to the lttle people, Julie. Your a celebrity now.'

Sorry Freedom. Its just us ants down here. But, welcome to the forum anyway. :D
WUT 1 MaN RiTS, U TRILYN MA RED OVR U MILYN SeNCUREZ.
http://www.nooalf.com

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:03 pm

Freedom wrote:Hi there!

I am letting go of God for the umpteenth time. For the past several years, I have been on a see-saw, grappling with the reasons why I choose to let go of God each time I do.

Around this time last year, I decided, in sheer panic, to become Catholic. I went through the RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) program at a church that had the most beautiful architecture. I was drawn by the music and the ritual, but more than that, I was afraid of being all alone in this big world in which we live. I chose religion on the basis that the secular world cannot be trusted. More on that in later posts!

Anyway, I'm pleasantly surprised to find Julia Sweeney here!

:D

Ah! Religion as social group! You know what, I don't blame you. My older brother does the same thing. His wife's an atheist (I think) and he's more agnostic than Christian. And they both go to church.

You might like this for social groups:

http://www.meetup.com/

I very recently started using that site. It looks good.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:01 pm

I went to a young adults group at my parents' church for about two years when I moved back to my hometown (emphasis: hometown, not my parents' house!) even though I am an atheist. It was nice to have people to hang out with for dinner and conversation. Eventually I felt weird about it and stopped going. Also, I never mentioned to any of them that I wasn't actually a Christian anymore.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:51 pm

Austin Harper wrote:I went to a young adults group at my parents' church for about two years when I moved back to my hometown (emphasis: hometown, not my parents' house!) even though I am an atheist. It was nice to have people to hang out with for dinner and conversation. Eventually I felt weird about it and stopped going. Also, I never mentioned to any of them that I wasn't actually a Christian anymore.

At first I read this to mean " I lived in some church group for two years before moving back to my hometown". And as an atheist. Which would have been a lot weirder.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:11 pm

freedom wrote: I was drawn by the music and the ritual, but more than that, I was afraid of being all alone in this big world in which we live. I chose religion on the basis that the secular world cannot be trusted. More on that in later posts!
Churches figured out the attraction of music a long time ago. In a big enough city, you can likely find a church that matches your music tastes. I wasted a lot of time believing that community somehow needed a church. Trust doesn't exist in any particular area of the world, it must be earned by each individual.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:41 pm

Lausten wrote:
freedom wrote: I was drawn by the music and the ritual, but more than that, I was afraid of being all alone in this big world in which we live. I chose religion on the basis that the secular world cannot be trusted. More on that in later posts!
Churches figured out the attraction of music a long time ago. In a big enough city, you can likely find a church that matches your music tastes. I wasted a lot of time believing that community somehow needed a church. Trust doesn't exist in any particular area of the world, it must be earned by each individual.

I mostly listen to drinking music. Irish, and Outlaw country, mainly. I must have been lucky to have musical tastes that are usually found in a different type of house of worship.

PS, speaking of it reminded me of this song

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster

Postby Austin Harper » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:33 pm

This is a bit off topic, but

fromthehills wrote:I mostly listen to drinking music. Irish, and Outlaw country, mainly.
While it wasn't intended to be a drinking song, I've always thought this would be a good one
Great Big Sea wrote:The River Driver (refrain)
I'll eat when I am hungry and I'll drink when I am dry,
Get drunk whenever I'm ready, get sober by and by,
And if this river don't drown me, it's down I'll mean to roam,
For I'm a river driver and I'm far away from home.

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Postby rickoshay85 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:47 pm

fromthehills wrote:
Austin Harper wrote:I went to a young adults group at my parents' church for about two years when I moved back to my hometown (emphasis: hometown, not my parents' house!) even though I am an atheist. It was nice to have people to hang out with for dinner and conversation. Eventually I felt weird about it and stopped going. Also, I never mentioned to any of them that I wasn't actually a Christian anymore.

At first I read this to mean " I lived in some church group for two years before moving back to my hometown". And as an atheist. Which would have been a lot weirder.

That's nothing. I survived the hell fire and brimstone my dad and older brother.preached.

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster

Postby Austin Harper » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:51 pm

rickoshay85 wrote:I survived the hell fire and brimstone my dad and older brother.preached.

You should read Nate Phelps' story.

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Postby rickoshay85 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:18 pm

Austin Harper wrote:
rickoshay85 wrote:I survived the hell fire and brimstone my dad and older brother.preached.

You should read Nate Phelps' story.

Psychological abuse is far worse than physical abuse and harder to overcome. Out of all my family, alive and dead, I am the only black sheep non-believer. A characteristic I'm damn proud of.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:33 am

JO 753 wrote:Sorry Freedom. Its just us ants down here.

I'm an uncle.
#ANDAMOVIE

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Postby rickoshay85 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:42 pm

Gord wrote:

I'm an uncle.

Very punny.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:58 am

rickoshay85 wrote:
Gord wrote:

I'm an uncle.

Very punny.

Unless JOnumbers was spelling phonetically! :mrgreen:
#ANDAMOVIE

SkeleTony

Postby SkeleTony » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:53 pm

I am Tony. I was not raised in a strongly religious household(my mom, for the most part appears to be an atheist though she does not pronounce such openly, though my dad(well, step-dad really) was typical of black men from the south in his God-belief) but I never believed in God(save for a brief period as a teenager), even as a small child. I remember being told the bit about Santa Claus around Christmas at around 4 years of age and thinking to myself 'That sounds like made up stuff to keep me from behaving badly...'. A year or two later I was told(either by a relative, possibly my dad or a neighbor) about God and Jesus and I immediately said to myself "That sounds like another Santa Claus-type story...".
It wasn't until I was 7 or 8 when I came across the term "atheist" while watching an old Dracula movie(with Christopher Lee or Peter Cushing) and from then on I referred to myself as such.

I was no skeptic for the first 20-something years of my life. I believed in Bigfoot, JFK conspiracy theories, UFOs(of the 'alien visitor' variety), etc. at one time or another. I credit James Randi and Michael Shermer as my earliest influences towards becoming a skeptic.

I was born and raised in Tacoma, WA and lived here most of my life. I now call myself a strong atheist(meaning that SOME Gods I can say with certainty are impossible) and strong agnostic(meaning that even IF a 'transcendent' God somehow existed 'beyond' our reality, since we cannot know anything about such, it's existence is irrelevant and therefore indistinguishable from the imaginary).

Too much information?

P.S. - I rented your "Letting Go of God" on VHS way back in the day and enjoyed it very much.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:23 am

The backgrounds, the roads to skepticism, agnosticism and more rarely atheism of the various participants here is always interesting, sometimes confounding but above all, to me at least, instructive... man works in ways that are much more mysterious than any god could pretend to.
Julia Sweeney is also from Washington... Spokane.... what to me was at first glance as white-bread a city (and State) as there is in the great American panorama...
However, Washington, particularly the port cities were once the breeding ground for what actual radical political thought and action existed in the country... certainly the Wobblies come to mind, but also the immigrant men who filled the logging camps, and whose stabs at unionizing were so violent and bloody at the hands of prevailing authority...
So now I would like to take this opportunity to ask you a question that has flommoxed me ever since I began to see that my own atheism contributes so indeliblyto so many of my other attitudes toward the world both as I see it in reality and how I wish it to be.
And that concerns the passionate devotion of the religious to not only gods that have so often given them short shrift, but the churches and synagogues that have taken advantage of the human need (it seems) to have faith in the ephemeral and the eternal.
I am always amazed if not aghast at the piety of Black Christians, originally converted in the cruelest ways, and for the most part to expedite their accommodation to the the monstrous conditions of slavery, (just as one is stunned when Orthodox Jews claim that god so loves them that he sent the recent European Holocaust as a lesson in paternal affection.
What is it that contributes to the immovable loyalty of so many Black people to Christianity, particularly but to the other religions (Islam, Judaism) to which they subscribe?
One can of course understand to some extent the swell of conversions to Islam, which in spite of, or perhaps in addition to it inherent lunatic intensity, is not racist... ... although there is ample evidence in the history of the slave trade that Arabs, already Islamicized by the 10th Century,CE., did engage in the trade of humans both in the Levant and later in Africa.
And it is moreover a religion (like Christianity AND Judaism) that is indivisible from the social ills that prevail, based on acceptance of a status quo ordained by god...
And while there is no doubt that the churches of African America, and indeed a good number of clerics and congregations from other religions did contribute to the success of the civil rights movement in the Sixties ... giving numbers, money and respectability to the struggle when it was being both dismissed and demeans by question the source of the impetus for an end to American apartheid... still, it is undeniable that three centuries of religious acceptance and even encouragement of slavery, and then social and sexual integration, really contributed to the very belated demise of what had become accepted patterns in American society...including the perpetration of a permanent underclass..
Cornel West, for example, who is a radical presence in American academia... outspokenly insistent on the need for eradicating institutionalized poverty and racism from the American ethos... is .... and it throws me for a loop... constantly invoking "his savior, Jesus Christ," who might... let's face it... to the extent that Jesus actually lived, he lived by the Bible that justified slavery as well as abject authority in the first place..
Just as religion always has, and presumably always will.
What do YOU think?

NMB.
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:12 pm

skeletony wrote:Too much information?
Not at all, IMO. In fact quite perfect in length and breadth.

I have heard in two other places recently that atheism is rare in the black communities in America. Not sure what that means to me or if it indicates a certain type of religious fervor or what. I'm in the land Swiss and Finlanders in Northern MN, so what do I know? Not much.

On the Atheist Experience from Austin the caller was a college student who was starting a paper on the subject. Looking forward to your participation. No pressure of course.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

Kilgore Trout
Poster

Postby Kilgore Trout » Thu May 31, 2012 2:33 pm

Hi, Everybody. I'm new here but have been lurking for a while. There's a lot of interesting discussion here.

So, my story. I grew up in a Northern NJ, blue collar, middle-class town with two older sisters. My father never seemed very interested in religion but my mom would take the kids to church almost every week. This was Presbyterian church. During my grammar-school years I was in the church all the time, between Sunday services, Sunday school, after-school activities, etc. It was fine- they were nice, well-meaning people.
By my early teens I got pretty unhappy in general (looking back- depressed actually) and was in full-on rebellion mode so that was the end of church. Despite that I still believed in my own way. I actually remember my belief being pretty strong into my middle teens. I was born a sceptic but had learned the habit of not asking the awkward religious questions. Around the age of 16 that barrier fell and once I started exploring these questions the whole idea of "God" fell apart. I remember particularly thinking that with God passing ultimate judgement on everyone and everything that meant that there was a right/wrong yes/no answer to every every moral question. So that was it for me and I've been an Atheist ever since. I see no evidence whatsoever for what is conventionally called God. It didn't make my life "empty". I don't miss the "comfort" that absolute answers are supposed to provide. In fact, in my mind conventional (whats written in the books) religious thinking has been extremely harmful overall.
I've been a practicing (in my mind there is no other kind) Zen Buddhist for 14 years. This means a LOT of zazen meditation. How can a Buddhist be an Atheist? Easy. No deity (although, in truth, symbolic deities are used for teaching and ceremonial purposes). Buddha was a person with no powers unavailable to any on us. There is what Buddha taught and there is Buddhism. Not necessarily the same thing. Many things have been added through the years that have made many schools of Buddhism into religion. I personally don't consider Zen a religion. No one has ever asked me to believe anything. In fact, I try to have as few beliefs as possible. It's a path, or method, to examine the self. By discovering what we really are we are relieved from suffering. This has been hugely beneficial to me and changed me in profound ways that I didn't expect.
I'm always reluctant to mention Zen to people since it's been reduced in many circles to a schlocky marketing catch-phrase. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything and I also expect you all to be very skeptical but that's what we're here for!
The universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest.

octopus1
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Deep Sea Mollusk

Postby octopus1 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:25 am

JuliaSweeney wrote:Welcome to the new forum here at skepticforum.com! The Skeptic Society is really important to me, and it's the first place I ever performed "Letting Go of God." I'm going to try to be more active on this forum than on my previous forum (which was on my own website.)

Well, the movie premiered this morning on Showtime. I know because I have already received about twenty letters from people who saw it! I am so happy and relieved that this the movie is finished, the tech specifications were all met, the insurance people were all paid and clauses were added and so forth and now it really, actually, truly is out in the world. I am really hopeful that more and more people will enjoy and relate to the show - or even just listen to my side of the story.

It's funny, when I started working on this show atheism was not popular (that's how my mom would put it - "Atheism is just a fad right now!") and I didn't get the sense from my audiences that anyone knew who Richard Dawkins was. So much has changed in the last few years! It's really exciting that this world view - this particular brand of skepticism - is becoming more acceptable in the U.S. I really notice the impact of the popular success of the books by Shermer, Dennett, Dawkins and Harris. I feel lucky to be participating in this discussion about religion and able to share my story and my particular journey.

My question is: Who Are You People, Anyway? On my last forum, people wrote in and explained briefly their story. I was thinking that this thread could possibly work like that too. I love reading about how people have come from to get to their particular world view. Many people came from much more conservative and fundamentalist backgrounds than I did. I think they are truly heroic for taking the risk of questioning the truths that serve to adhere them to their community. I also think it's remarkable for people to come to question religious dogma and the concept of God even if they were raised with no religion. I will check in from time to time to read your responses.

I want to thank Michael Shermer and the Skeptic Society for just... well, existing! I love the Skeptic Society and feel sad that now, since I live in Illinois, I cannot attend the lectures anymore. What a wonderful environment you have created for people to question and find others who are also questioning.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Two posts later, she's up and {!#%@} off :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"On the fence".... Without a cushion....

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:42 am

I will check in from time to time to read your responses.

She didn't say she'd comment, eh... ;)

octopus1
Perpetual Poster

Postby octopus1 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:43 am

Oh I didn't get that far before I burst out laughing!

octopus1
Perpetual Poster

Postby octopus1 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:47 am

Hang on, I've committed the cardinal sin for a skeptic - Creating a backstory without any facts.

Julia Sweeney is that Julia Sweeney, not a random person who chose this particular section to introduce themselves.

Now I'm getting to the bottom of things!

kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Postby kennyc » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:55 am

octopus1 wrote:Hang on, I've committed the cardinal sin for a skeptic - Creating a backstory without any facts.

Julia Sweeney is that Julia Sweeney, not a random person who chose this particular section to introduce themselves.

Oh stop it, this should be in the Monstors section!
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

octopus1
Perpetual Poster

Postby octopus1 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:56 am

Or the Alions section ;)

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:37 pm

kennyc wrote:
octopus1 wrote:Hang on, I've committed the cardinal sin for a skeptic - Creating a backstory without any facts.

Oh stop it, this should be in the Monstors section!

I would LOVE to agree with you AND announce it to your assembled idolators..... but what IS a "MONSTOR?"
And where is its section?

Norma Manna Blum
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

Return to “The Letting Go of God Forum”