Aussies Vote for Same-sex Marriage

General discussion on the subject of religion, losing religion, and having no religion to lose...
Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Aussies Vote for Same-sex Marriage

Postby Tom Palven » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:45 am

Australians voted in favor of allowing same-sex marriage:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-austr ... DE34L?il=0
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Phoenix76
Poster
Custom Title: Phoenix76

Re: Aussies Vote for Same-sex Marriage

Postby Phoenix76 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:16 am

Yes we did. And it was an amazing result. Not so much that we agreed but the fact that just on 80% of the voting population caste a vote, given that a plebiscite is not compulsory.

And then to have a yes vote of 61.6%, is a landslide. Any politician in this country that wins a seat with that margin, is a hero for their party.

At times it was a very bitter campaign, and the no voters were not exactly keen on having a level playing field, so to speak. The bill has gone before parliament today and should be law before Christmas.

Abdul Alhazred
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Yes that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:43 pm

So now t's the whole "anglosphere" including the USA.

Or am I missing someone?
Scientists don't know everything, therefore my favorite flavor of stoopidz is true.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:27 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:So now t's the whole "anglosphere" including the USA.

Or am I missing someone?

Probably not. I just went and checked on Ireland and they not only legalized it, but did it early in fine style.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/wor ... /27833821/
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:24 pm

Phoenix76 wrote: Not so much that we agreed but the fact that just on 80% of the voting population caste a vote, given that a plebiscite is not compulsory.

I agree. I think it is something to be proud of, in that almost all Aussies want to be part of the political system.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:10 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:I think it is something to be proud of

Perhaps they could have a parade.

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:11 am

Gord wrote:Perhaps they could have a parade.
Thank you Gord, but the Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras parade already exists on Oxford Street and has for 30 years. It finishes at the end of my old house in Surry Hills.

I assume that when the drugs kick in because that's when they start falling off the floats and have to be carried into the Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras party.
Mardi gras.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:34 am

I meant tonight.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Phoenix76
Poster

Postby Phoenix76 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:40 am

Gord, let's not confuse the extreme element with normal everyday people. And yes I say "Normal Everyday People", because unless you knew their preferences you would never know.

We have extremes in everything, extreme left wing, extreme right wing, extreme extremes, blah, blah,blah. They are not representative of the normal population. We might get a giggle out of some of them, as in the Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras, but that's probably all they're worth.

I'm just glad it's more or less all over. Now our bloody politicians can get on with running our country - into the ground no doubt.

Abdul Alhazred
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Yes that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:21 am

Gord, let's not confuse the extreme element with normal everyday people.

Such as those straight people in New Orleans. :mrgreen:

Scientists don't know everything, therefore my favorite flavor of stoopidz is true.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:41 pm

Phoenix76 wrote:Gord, let's not confuse the extreme element with normal everyday people.

I will probably get slammed here but the Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras has done a good thing. After 35 years it's mostly straight people who dress up for Mardi gras. The gay and lesbian boys and girls are almost fully integrated and most don't bother with the parade anymore.

Being gay is just like being left handed. It's now just a part of life, which i would consider a victory for the people who first started the protest parade.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:37 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Phoenix76 wrote:Gord, let's not confuse the extreme element with normal everyday people.

I will probably get slammed here but the Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras has done a good thing. After 35 years it's mostly straight people who dress up for Mardi gras. The gay and lesbian boys and girls are almost fully integrated and most don't bother with the parade anymore.

Being gay is just like being left handed. It's now just a part of life, which i would consider a victory for the people who first started the protest parade.

I agree.

Most gays are almost as boring as everyone else.

It's people like those green and blue-haired ladies, be they straight or gay, that put a little zip into life.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:37 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:

I agree.

Most gays are almost as boring as everyone else.

It's people like those green and blue-haired ladies, be they straight or gay, that put a little zip into life.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:50 am

Hey, extreme elements can be normal everyday people too!
#ANDAMOVIE

Phoenix76
Poster

Postby Phoenix76 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:21 am

Well Gord, I don't know if I can accept your statement outright. I suppose I could have some extreme views, or exhibit some extreme actions, but by and large, normal everyday people are not like this, IMHO.

I have friends in Canada who are Lesbian, and they are lovely people, but I'm not sure just how we compare the events just happening here in Australia with events that have happened some time ago over there. From what I understand, the legalizing of Gay Marriage in Canada is still being fought in some areas.

We may still face that here, but at the moment, the final bill still has to pass our parliament.

But my comment about extreme elements refers specifically to a lot of the people who get involved in our Gay Mardi Gras. Yes I accept that often people have to go to extreme lengths to get their point across. And that has happened within the gay community here.

Whilst I am a supporter of gay marriage, I do cringe at some of the fringe element who present themselves as supporters of the Gay and Lesbian movement. I just feel that they present some stereotyped vision of Gay and Lesbian people. Example, the limp wrist often portrayed by a supposed gay male. To me that is not how you try to sell your beliefs. You have to portray you beliefs as normal people, else you risk turning "normal" people away from your cause.

However, this hasn't occurred in this case. No matter what, the Australian people have shown a substantial majority support for these peoples. And woebetide any politician who does not act in accord with the wishes shown. I'm not only a skeptic, but I'm also a cynical bastard at the best of times. Given this vote was not obligatory, there is no way I would have bet on an 80% participation rate. I have seen polls that are compulsory for the election of a parliamentarian that has returned a lower percentage.

So Gord, I hope that explains my views a little better.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:43 am

What behavior do you expect at any Mardi Gras? Drunk on your ass or lack of sleep at 2AM?====bet you don't even go to the event at the beginning: 106 Degrees at Noon.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:04 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:Being gay is just like being left handed.

No it's not. Being left-handed is disgusting.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:57 am

Austin Harper wrote:No it's not. Being left-handed is disgusting.

OK Buddy. This means WAR!!!! I'm immediately flying to the USA with a big black felt marker pen. I will then write rude words on your children's foreheads using my left hand. :D

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:01 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:

OK Buddy. This means WAR!!!! I'm immediately flying to the USA with a big black felt marker pen. I will then write rude words on your children's foreheads using my left hand. :D

..............bet you get stopped at Hawaii again.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:11 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:..............bet you get stopped at Hawaii again.

Trump issues travel ban against Left Handed people.

Well...... anything is possible at the moment. :D

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:32 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:..............bet you get stopped at Hawaii again.

Trump issues travel ban against Left Handed people.

Well...... anything is possible at the moment. :D

Nononononononononono!!!!!

Alt.right is just a short form of alternative.right. Guess what THAT is . . . .
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:55 am

Phoenix76 wrote:I have friends in Canada who are Lesbian, and they are lovely people, but I'm not sure just how we compare the events just happening here in Australia with events that have happened some time ago over there. From what I understand, the legalizing of Gay Marriage in Canada is still being fought in some areas.

Yup, we've got our fair share of bigots here. For now, though, it seems to be progressing fairly well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Canada

Heck, even our Conservatives have changed their official stance in recent years:

Wikipedia wrote:In May 2016, Conservative Party delegates voted in favour of removing the definition of marriage as a union between one man and one woman from the party's official policy document, effectively changing the party's official position on same-sex marriage from opposed to neutral.

Not that there aren't still jackasses amongst 'em, of course. We have a provincial party in Alberta call the Wildrose Party, and they've got some enormous jackasses:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/wildrose-leader-s ... s-1.798795
http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/wildrose-sta ... -1.3453094
http://edmontonjournal.com/news/politic ... ir-own-mla
http://nationalpost.com/opinion/don-bra ... -defensive
#ANDAMOVIE

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:37 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:

Oh no! I have children?!
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:41 am

Austin Harper wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:

Oh no! I have children?!

It's okay, they probably don't have foreheads.
#ANDAMOVIE

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:19 am

Aussies would vote to legalise marriage to wallabies. In fact ... ... ...

Phoenix76
Poster

Postby Phoenix76 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:36 am

Hey Poodle, that's a bit rough mate. We will certainly eat wallabies, and maybe, just maybe, we might have some "Deliverance" type blokes here who like to copy their New Zealand mates, and what they allegedly do to sheep, but, as a rule --- no, we don't marry wallabies. And believe me mate, you do not want to tangle with their claws, front feet or hind feet, they will tear you to shreds. At least sheep are quite passive.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:48 am

Phoenix76 wrote:... At least sheep are quite passive.

And you don`t even live in Texas... How`d you know?

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:56 am

TJrandom wrote:
Phoenix76 wrote:... At least sheep are quite passive.

And you don`t even live in Texas... How`d you know?

He assumes that since you're posting on these forums, you must be pasture prime.
#ANDAMOVIE

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:04 pm

Phoenix76 wrote:Hey Poodle, that's a bit rough mate. We will certainly eat wallabies, and maybe, just maybe, we might have some "Deliverance" type blokes here who like to copy their New Zealand mates, and what they allegedly do to sheep, but, as a rule --- no, we don't marry wallabies. And believe me mate, you do not want to tangle with their claws, front feet or hind feet, they will tear you to shreds. At least sheep are quite passive.

I used to live a mile away from a whole load of wallabies living wild in Derbyshire (it's TRUE, I tell you!). Admittedly, I never tried to pet one of those, but I have rubbed the tum of a wallaby in captivity. Pussycats. Now sheep - they're a different kettle of fish. They pull you in with their long eyelashes and lascivious looks and ... oh - where was I? Where am I?

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:47 pm

When I was in Oz, I saw a lot of unwed wallabies. There were also a lot of unwed blokes hanging out in taverns and doing little that was useful. What a waste.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:29 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:...There were also a lot of unwed blokes hanging out in taverns and doing little that was useful. What a waste.

Now they have same-sex marriage, so...problem solved!
#ANDAMOVIE

Phoenix76
Poster

Postby Phoenix76 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:30 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:When I was in Oz, I saw a lot of unwed wallabies. There were also a lot of unwed blokes hanging out in taverns and doing little that was useful. What a waste.

Taverns!! What are Taverns?? Is that some kind of cave where wallabies hide?? Help please.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:17 pm

Phoenix76 wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:When I was in Oz, I saw a lot of unwed wallabies. There were also a lot of unwed blokes hanging out in taverns and doing little that was useful. What a waste.

Taverns!! What are Taverns?? Is that some kind of cave where wallabies hide?? Help please.

Sorry, I was using a foreign language.

Return to “The Letting Go of God Forum”