When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

General discussion on the subject of religion, losing religion, and having no religion to lose...
User avatar
Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts
Posts: 6001
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:09 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Flash » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:57 am

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
You say Gnostic Christians have a deity. What is the name of that deity?

Nomad?

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
I do think I do ok in my writing for a poorly educated Frenchman.

You are from La Belle Province too? it's an exodus. I met some poorly educated Frenchmen as far as Alberta. :mrgreen:
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10135
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:37 am

EVERY Frenchman, worse their girl friends, I have met has been poorly educated. Maybe its where I go and whom I am attracted to. I remember discussing impressionist art in a cafe near the Louvre.... and they didn't know {!#%@}. Should have gone to the Left Bank?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7356
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby TJrandom » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:56 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:EVERY Frenchman, worse their girl friends, I have met has been poorly educated. Maybe its where I go and whom I am attracted to. I remember discussing impressionist art in a cafe near the Louvre.... and they didn't know {!#%@}. Should have gone to the Left Bank?


You`ve been singing that song - Friends in Low Places? ;)

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10135
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:57 am

Well..... the goats in Provence like beer.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8096
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Poodle » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:17 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:... Maybe its where I go and whom I am attracted to ...

... to whom I am attracted.
YAY!!!!!! I beat Gord! :yahoo:

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10135
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:26 am

I truncated "to whom" following my rule of fewest key strokes. Whom the standard when the object of a preposition?

Have I been wrong lo these many years?

///////////////OH!===that is your complaint, dropping the "to."

Well.........I'm with Jo........creating my own grammar as well as spelling.

Do you leave all the low lying "its" to Gord?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8096
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Poodle » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:44 am

It's the time zones - Gord picks 'em all off before I wake up.

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7356
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby TJrandom » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:46 am

Poodle wrote:It's the time zones - Gord picks 'em all off before I wake up.


Naw... you just get up later than Gord. ;)

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29079
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Gord » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:01 am

I wasn't gonna say nuthin'.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster
Posts: 532
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:42 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote: ... What is the name of that deity?


You don`t know? Yikes! Wiki will help you.... :mrgreen:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnosticism#Highest_God


Correct. I do not know, which is exactly what that article says as it says that God cannot be defined or named.

You have looked at our myth, that was written to put against the Christian myth before Christianity became an idol worshiping cult.

Try looking at we really believe.

Here is one of our sayings. Tell me who a Gnostic Christian will call God after you give it some thought.

Gnostic Christian Jesus said, "If those who attract you say, 'See, the Kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you.
If they say to you, 'It is under the earth,' then the fish of the sea will precede you.
Rather, the Kingdom of God is inside of you, and it is outside of you.
[Those who] become acquainted with [themselves] will find it; [and when you] become acquainted with yourselves, [you will understand that] it is you who are the sons of the living Father.
But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty."

Monad would be a sign of poverty and poor thinking.

See who we think is God in this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alRNbes ... r_embedded

Regards
DL

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster
Posts: 532
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:49 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Thanks Tj---I am under read in all things Religious....but I did think Gnosticism was akin to spiritualism without a god head. Like everything else, I assume it varies from one sect to another, one true believer to another?


Indeed. One can be a Gnostic to any system of thought be it political or religious.

As a Gnostic Christian, I use the Christian tradition which, as that link above shows, call the supreme God I am.

To a Gnostic of all descriptions, any God or tradition, political or religious is always subservient to our thinking if we happen to think it can be improved. Even if we were to find an ideal, we would take the good from it, raise the bar of expectation and seek an even better ideal.

To not do so would make us idol worshipers like Christians and Muslims and we all know how much damage to society they have gifted us with. Basically 5,000 years of war.

Regards
DL

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster
Posts: 532
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:56 pm

LunaNik wrote:[q since you folks consider the universe to be flawed.


I will just deal with this. I did put some information above that you might read.

Gnostic Christian Jesus said, "If those who attract you say, 'See, the Kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you.
If they say to you, 'It is under the earth,' then the fish of the sea will precede you.
Rather, the Kingdom of God is inside of you, and it is outside of you.
[Those who] become acquainted with [themselves] will find it; [and when you] become acquainted with yourselves, [you will understand that] it is you who are the sons of the living Father.
But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty."

We, as you can read, would not think God's kingdom to be flawed. We, as always, live in the best of all possible worlds, given all the conditions that brought us to this and all past points in time.

Try looking at real Gnostic Christian beliefs and not what the winners of the God wars said after trying to decimate us and burning our scriptures. They have lied quite a bit when writing the history most are reading.

Regards
DL

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8096
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Poodle » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:01 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:... They have lied quite a bit when writing the history most are reading.


That just about defines ALL of history, GB.

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster
Posts: 532
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:02 pm

Flash wrote:Gnostic Bishop wrote:
You say Gnostic Christians have a deity. What is the name of that deity?

Nomad?

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
I do think I do ok in my writing for a poorly educated Frenchman.

You are from La Belle Province too? it's an exodus. I met some poorly educated Frenchmen as far as Alberta. :mrgreen:


My ancestry was from Quebec but I was born in Ontario.

I was born Francais but now I might be more Franglais to the English.

Regards
DL

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster
Posts: 532
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:05 pm

Poodle wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:... They have lied quite a bit when writing the history most are reading.


That just about defines ALL of history, GB.


No argument buddy.

As someone said, our reality is a collective hunch.

Regards
DL

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10135
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:36 pm

I think History is very accurate on the how and what and when and much of who.

Weak/debatable/hunching on.................why. Ironic, since it is the Why that runs the Universe.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2039
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:52 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:Gnostic Christian Jesus said, "If those who attract you say, 'See, the Kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you.
If they say to you, 'It is under the earth,' then the fish of the sea will precede you.
Rather, the Kingdom of God is inside of you, and it is outside of you.
[Those who] become acquainted with [themselves] will find it; [and when you] become acquainted with yourselves, [you will understand that] it is you who are the sons of the living Father.
But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty."
If those who attracted me said, "See, the Kingdom is in the sky," my attraction would fade faster than an echo in a recording studio. I'd be out the door before they could even get to, "It is under the earth," shooting looks over my shoulder to ensure they weren't following me.
Gnostic Bishop wrote:Try looking at real Gnostic Christian beliefs and not what the winners of the God wars said after trying to decimate us and burning our scriptures. They have lied quite a bit when writing the history most are reading.
What I've read about Gnostic Christianity was written by a Gnostic Bishop (not you).
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster
Posts: 532
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:56 pm

LunaNik wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:Gnostic Christian Jesus said, "If those who attract you say, 'See, the Kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you.
If they say to you, 'It is under the earth,' then the fish of the sea will precede you.
Rather, the Kingdom of God is inside of you, and it is outside of you.
[Those who] become acquainted with [themselves] will find it; [and when you] become acquainted with yourselves, [you will understand that] it is you who are the sons of the living Father.
But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty."
If those who attracted me said, "See, the Kingdom is in the sky," my attraction would fade faster than an echo in a recording studio. I'd be out the door before they could even get to, "It is under the earth," shooting looks over my shoulder to ensure they weren't following me.
Gnostic Bishop wrote:Try looking at real Gnostic Christian beliefs and not what the winners of the God wars said after trying to decimate us and burning our scriptures. They have lied quite a bit when writing the history most are reading.
What I've read about Gnostic Christianity was written by a Gnostic Bishop (not you).


Which one?

Regards
DL

User avatar
Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts
Posts: 6001
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:09 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Flash » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:45 am

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
My ancestry was from Quebec but I was born in Ontario.

I was born Francais but now I might be more Franglais to the English.

Oh! You must be from Timmins or maybe Cochrane, or Timiskaming, eh? ;)

I would like to explain to the multinational representatives of the entire (almost) world present on this forum that Timmins is a Northern Ontario town that literally sits on gold. Population twenty thousand, at one time had five gold mines right within the municipal borders of the town itself.

I think two or three of them are now closed. The gold mining companies took the gold and run leaving behind piles of the arsenic ridden refuse piled up so high they look like mountains. Nobody talks about the sky high cancer rates because those who stay alive there make a very good living.

I used to go there to visit my daughter and her Franglais boyfriend. The boyfriend lost two of his brothers and a young sister to cancer and then the father shot himself in the basement with a shotgun. :shock:
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2039
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:56 am

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
LunaNik wrote:What I've read about Gnostic Christianity was written by a Gnostic Bishop (not you).

Which one?

I don't remember his name; I only remember what I read and that I checked the credentials of the author, which is SOP for me.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster
Posts: 532
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:00 pm

Flash wrote:Gnostic Bishop wrote:
My ancestry was from Quebec but I was born in Ontario.

I was born Francais but now I might be more Franglais to the English.

Oh! You must be from Timmins or maybe Cochrane, or Timiskaming, eh? ;)

I would like to explain to the multinational representatives of the entire (almost) world present on this forum that Timmins is a Northern Ontario town that literally sits on gold. Population twenty thousand, at one time had five gold mines right within the municipal borders of the town itself.

I think two or three of them are now closed. The gold mining companies took the gold and run leaving behind piles of the arsenic ridden refuse piled up so high they look like mountains. Nobody talks about the sky high cancer rates because those who stay alive there make a very good living.

I used to go there to visit my daughter and her Franglais boyfriend. The boyfriend lost two of his brothers and a young sister to cancer and then the father shot himself in the basement with a shotgun. :shock:


Close. Draw a line between Sudbury and Timmins, go up it half way, and that bush is where I was born.

If cancer study is a part of what you do, try Elliot Lake, where uranium was mines or any of the coal mining areas.

Regards
DL

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster
Posts: 532
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:06 pm

LunaNik wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
LunaNik wrote:What I've read about Gnostic Christianity was written by a Gnostic Bishop (not you).

Which one?

I don't remember his name; I only remember what I read and that I checked the credentials of the author, which is SOP for me.


Thanks for this.

Regards
DL


Return to “The Letting Go of God Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest