Feed me, Seymour!

Have you got a helpful suggestion for our show or for these forums?
Durnett

Feed me, Seymour!

Postby Durnett » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:13 pm

Episode suggestion:

Carnivorous Plants!
Did venus flytraps, pitcher plants, and sundews inspire The Day of the Triffids and Little Shop of Horrors?
Did these plants evolve from non-carnivorous plants or are they FROM BEYOND?
What factors can turn my pineapple plant into a killer?
Should I worry about the ivy tendrils curling around my legs?

Durnett

Re: Feed me, Seymour!

Postby Durnett » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:47 pm

More about plants...

There are vegetative monsters in current literature and entertainment (like Old Man Willow from Lord of the Rings*) and the evil trees form the Wizard of Oz movies, but are there monsters in folklore that are plants in some way? Sure there are poisonous and deadly plants, but are there sentient and malicious plants?

* I excluded Ents on purpose. If my memory serves me correctly, the Ents are people - mammals even - who shepherd the trees, but they are not trees themselves.

shadowfax

Re: Feed me, Seymour!

Postby shadowfax » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:43 pm

Durnett wrote:Did venus flytraps, pitcher plants, and sundews inspire The Day of the Triffids and Little Shop of Horrors?

According to the Little Shop producers, the plant was designed to look like a "cross between a Venus flytrap and an avocado."

I always thought it looked somewhat. . .phallic myself.

What factors can turn my pineapple plant into a killer?

Radiation and an episode of The Tick?

Should I worry about the ivy tendrils curling around my legs?

Yes. It means the plant has taken a fancy to you, and soon you'll be expected to buy it designer clothing and take it to expensive clubs until you're drained of money, when it will move on to the next sugardaddy.

are there monsters in folklore that are plants in some way?

Yep! The Mannen-dake. Japanese folklore says it's a monster that looks like bamboo, and feeds on the souls of lost campers.

Return to “MonsterTalk Suggestions”