Stranger Danger: Hicks and Cannibals

Have you got a helpful suggestion for our show or for these forums?
Durnett

Stranger Danger: Hicks and Cannibals

Postby Durnett » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:10 pm

There are probably several episodes that could be centered around Stranger Danger - fear of people who are monsters. There has been some good work on the Satanic Cult phenomenon. There are also the fears of motorcycle gangs from the 60s and 70s to consider. And there is always Reefer Madness and fear of The Wild Teenager.

What I am most interested in is the fear of people who live in rural areas: hicks and bubbas, bumpkins and yokels, and of course the kidnappers and cannibals. There are a lot of pop-culture references including movies like The Hills Have Eyes, 2001 Maniacs, Deliverance, and even My Cousin Vinny.

Which brings up the bigger question: where do we draw the line when talking about "monsters"? Can people be monsters or are monsters just fantastic non-human creatures?

Wiese_the_Beast
Poster

Re: Stranger Danger: Hicks and Cannibals

Postby Wiese_the_Beast » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:35 pm

Yes, people can be monsters. That is...if you consider zombies to still be people. I know I do. Choreographed dances are not performed by non-persons.

But to answer your question without referencing the undead, there are no monstrous people, only monstrous acts. Some people do these acts and must be dealt with, but they are still people.
Thank you for reading,
Jason Wiese

DoctorAtlantis
Poster
Custom Title: KSOFM

Postby DoctorAtlantis » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:24 pm

Durnett wrote:What I am most interested in is the fear of people who live in rural areas: hicks and bubbas, bumpkins and yokels, and of course the kidnappers and cannibals. There are a lot of pop-culture references including movies like The Hills Have Eyes, 2001 Maniacs, Deliverance, and even My Cousin Vinny.

Which brings up the bigger question: where do we draw the line when talking about "monsters"? Can people be monsters or are monsters just fantastic non-human creatures?

This is an excellent topic. One that Radford's always on about, too. What is real danger versus perceived danger. Also a great time to talk about Road Trolls.

busterggi
Regular Poster
Custom Title: General Weirdness

Postby busterggi » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:30 pm

I like the idea - maybe Coleman could appear to discuss his satanic clowns.

And there are always several versions of the MIB's.

spookyparadigm

Postby spookyparadigm » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:59 pm

Nick Redfern frames his Scooby Gang adventures in Three Men Seeking Monsters around sightings of cavemen and/or cannibal gangs (think Sawney Bean) in the UK. Of course, he then goes and pushes it into the realm of psychic time travel, daemonic spirits, and such. In fact, I just read about another such report

http://www.bridportnews.co.uk/news/8296 ... _today___/

Prehistoric cannibals have been all the rage in paleoanthropology/archaeology in the last few years. After years of the idea not being popular, perhaps due to bigger cannibalism debate, there has been something of a backlash. Here's another recent example.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... utrition/1

I used the recent discovery of early cannibalism in Britain to comment on the H. P. Lovecraft story "The Rats in the Walls," which is a decayed aristocratic version of the Cannibal Hicks trope

http://miskatonicmuseum.blogspot.com/20 ... -real.html

landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby landrew » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:47 pm

spookyparadigm wrote:Nick Redfern frames his Scooby Gang adventures in Three Men Seeking Monsters around sightings of cavemen and/or cannibal gangs (think Sawney Bean) in the UK. Of course, he then goes and pushes it into the realm of psychic time travel, daemonic spirits, and such. In fact, I just read about another such report

http://www.bridportnews.co.uk/news/8296 ... _today___/

Prehistoric cannibals have been all the rage in paleoanthropology/archaeology in the last few years. After years of the idea not being popular, perhaps due to bigger cannibalism debate, there has been something of a backlash. Here's another recent example.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... utrition/1

I used the recent discovery of early cannibalism in Britain to comment on the H. P. Lovecraft story "The Rats in the Walls," which is a decayed aristocratic version of the Cannibal Hicks trope

http://miskatonicmuseum.blogspot.com/20 ... -real.html

I don't see how cannibalism relates to belief in monster mythology, such as vampires, werewolves and such. The evidence is fairly clear; its just a matter of getting the facts straight.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:31 am

Durnett wrote:What I am most interested in is the fear of people who live in rural areas: hicks and bubbas, bumpkins and yokels,

We're not all hicks, and so forth. Your basis is on what comes out of Hollywood, and has little to do with reality. My guess is that city dwellers also buy into Hollywood sensationalism, if they do have a fear of us bumpkins. What I have seen, though, in people touring around here is not fear, but shyness of being in a new place.

Return to “MonsterTalk Suggestions”