Them what lives underground

Have you got a helpful suggestion for our show or for these forums?
Durnett

Them what lives underground

Postby Durnett » Fri May 28, 2010 4:05 pm

Here's a throughline that touches on several different monsters and different types of monsters: Creatures that Dwell Beneath the Earth!

Movies: Descent, The Cave,The Cavern, The Mole People, C.H.U.D.
Legends: Lizard People, Dwarves, Gnomes, Trolls, Fairies, Little People, Bilbo Baggins

I dimly remember an interview with an anthropologist who suggested that when the Celts began migrating into the British Isles, the people who preceded them retreated into forests and underground and became the basis for the stories of the small people who live underground.

Questions: Why do we keep inventing or reviving legends of people who live underground? Why are they so often horrifying and cannibalistic?

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: Them what lives underground

Postby Gord » Sat May 29, 2010 12:29 am

Durnett wrote:Legends: Lizard People, Dwarves, Gnomes, Trolls, Fairies, Little People, Bilbo Baggins

Bilbo is just one guy. The collective is called Hobbits.

Questions: Why do we keep inventing or reviving legends of people who live underground? Why are they so often horrifying and cannibalistic?

Scary stuff has to have some place to hide, otherwise we wouldn't be able to believe in it because we can see it's not actually here in the middle of the street with the rest of us. "Underground" is where the darkness is during the day.

Plus, we know things live there. We dig up worms and other crawly things, or just turn over rocks to find ants and grubs. If some things can live under the earth, then it's more believable that other things can, too.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Durnett

Postby Durnett » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:35 pm

I'm telling you, dude, this Bilbo Baggins is real! I had a friend who had a cousin who was the Dragon Under The Mountain, and this Baggins thing totally stole his stuff! It can turn invisible!

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:59 pm

Well sure he's real, I even met him once! Turns out, though, he's a lot taller than he's portrayed.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Bart Stewart
Regular Poster

Postby Bart Stewart » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:48 am

Durnett wrote:Movies: Descent, The Cave,The Cavern, The Mole People, C.H.U.D.
Legends: Lizard People, Dwarves, Gnomes, Trolls, Fairies, Little People, Bilbo Baggins

I think a big part of the answer to your Questions can be found right here -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Sharpe_Shaver

As for your list of underground-dwelling movie monsters, I'm stunned that you failed to mention TREMORS!!!

Return to “MonsterTalk Suggestions”