The Final Nail in Nessie's Coffin?

Did you see something about a monster in the news? Tell us about it.
Bart Stewart
Frequent Poster

The Final Nail in Nessie's Coffin?

Postby Bart Stewart » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:17 pm

Not to disparage our post writer of the same name, but it looks as if Nessie may be about to finally go away for good. I base this wild claim on the fact that the media, including the Daily Mail, has given big exposure to a skeptical viewpoint on the matter, maybe for the first time.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/07 ... reloaded=1

There's really nothing new here, but an Italian researcher is saying that many of the sightings of serpentine disturbances in the water may be caused by a geologic fault running along the floor of the loch, releasing bubbles. The fault line is known to all students of the mystery, but few ever gave it much credit for causing the phenomenon. It would not account for surface sightings of humps, etc. Those I think we can ascribe to fakes, and mistakes based on otters, water birds, and floating tree trunks. (Ben Radford makes a compelling case that what Ms. Mansi photographed at Lake Champlain was a tree limb that had filled with gas while rotting on the lake bottom, and then briefly floated.)

Anyway, the prominence given to a skeptical explanation may be a sign that after 80 monster-less years, the media may be seeing that Nessie stories draw more jokes and yawns than intrigue. They may be finally ready to retire this one and move on to newer, greener fields of hooey. It won't be the end of my writing on this subject, though, because the Ness mystery is a classic example of wishful thinking and faulty conclusions. It is a teachable object lesson for skepticism in all other fields. I still recommend getting a copy of The Loch Ness Mystery: Solved, by Ronald Binns. This book sums up the entire case, exhaustively, in an entertaining, readable form.

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Re: The Final Nail in Nessie's Coffin?

Postby Austin Harper » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:27 pm

I doubt it. It's been a known hoax for years but nobody seems to care.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Postby Daedalus » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:57 pm

It's too large an industry to die, and people want to believe too much. You could drain the loch, and it still wouldn't die.
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:23 pm

The real mystery of Loch Ness to me has always been why people who have had sightings believe they've seen a monster. It's more in the realm of psychology than cryptozoology.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Rob Lister
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: Spline Reticulator

Postby Rob Lister » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:10 am

Nobody really believes it. It's fun. Really all it is meant to be to the locals. If there's a rube or two that visits on the off chance of seeing her, all the better. I don't hate them.

Return to “Monster News”