Not so hot press for the Texas Bigfoot Conference

Did you see something about a monster in the news? Tell us about it.
idoubtit
Poster
Custom Title: Overwhelmed

Not so hot press for the Texas Bigfoot Conference

Postby idoubtit » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:18 am

Two stories from the Austin-American Statesman

http://www.statesman.com/search/content ... tside.html Sarmiento makes some good points

http://www.statesman.com/search/content ... egcol.html Reporter is bored - not even science at the conference

I feel kinda bad for the people at this conference. No one understands them - the science community doesn't bother (mostly) and the average Joe Q. Public thinks they are weird and making stuff up. It's stories like this that make me think that the skeptical community really is the new wave. Whatcha think?

busterggi
Regular Poster
Custom Title: General Weirdness

Re: Not so hot press for the Texas Bigfoot Conference

Postby busterggi » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:18 am

Nah, I understand them.

Heck, I started out as a believer when I was a kid because I read about bigfoot, etc in a book from the library &, heck, if it was in a book it MUST be true (45 years ago books were like the net that way).

I've just learned a lot since I was 10 yo.

idoubtit
Poster
Custom Title: Overwhelmed

Postby idoubtit » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:19 am

I just read a fascinating article about kids in museums looking at dinosaurs. One point the authors made is that kids with expertise talked more than their parents and their parents never encouraged them beyond knowledge of basic categorical information and popular anecdotes. (Their parents likely didn't know how to do this.) But I immediately saw the correlation between this subject and crypto creatures.

Crypto non-fiction is typically the same anecdotes or patterns of story over and over again. Sure, they might classify things and speculate but there is little opportunity taken to connect this information to wider generalizations of biology and ecology. So, people interesting in these topics (same for ghosts or UFOs, I think) do not extend their knowledge to novel ideas or investigation and never grasp science as a process or inquiry as a means of acquiring knowledge. You can be an expert on this stuff and not know a darn thing about a scientific process.

I found that rather interesting. (Look, I generalized!) Does this make sense to any of you?

busterggi
Regular Poster
Custom Title: General Weirdness

Postby busterggi » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:19 am

A little too much generalizing for me didt. Personally I think its more like intellectual lazyness which is the problem - stuff is interesting, studying stuff is hard.

And then there are creationists...

Return to “Monster News”