The Panamanian Sloth

Did you see something about a monster in the news? Tell us about it.
DoctorAtlantis
Poster
Custom Title: KSOFM

The Panamanian Sloth

Postby DoctorAtlantis » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:13 am

Well, the "Montauk Madness" has returned but this time from Panama. (The Central American country, not the city in Florida.) According to a news story from Telemetro Televison, the creature was found (and killed) by some teenagers. But there is much wrong with their story - not the least of which is the fact that this isn't a mysterious creature, it is a dead sloth.

While the rest of the Internet goes crazy for corpses, let us take a moment and review the evidence:
panamacorpse1.jpg

panamacorpse2.jpg

And now "fur" some pictures of living sloths:
sloth1.jpg

sloth2.jpg

Yes, the corpse is bleached and hairless. No, it is not a mysterious monster. It is perhaps a good thing that most people don't encounter bloated, bleached animal corpses during the course of their lives. But there are plenty of people who can identify this critter for what it is and failing to do so is just LAZY. (I bet you thought I was going to say "sloth" again didn't you.)

Want to read more about the identity of this dead sloth?

Try Darren Naish's excellent post on the matter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

busterggi
Regular Poster
Custom Title: General Weirdness

Re: The Panamanian Sloth

Postby busterggi » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:14 am

Actually I read Darren's blog first, hope you don't mind.

It says a lot about the creation of monster legends when an obviously rotting corpse can become the villain of a story of brave teenagers defending their town, a story clearly false but one that surely has it's believers.

Return to “Monster News”