Another PA "creature" sighting?

Did you see something about a monster in the news? Tell us about it.
DoctorAtlantis
Poster
Custom Title: KSOFM

Another PA "creature" sighting?

Postby DoctorAtlantis » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:45 am

The "PA Bigfoot Society" is reporting (through Cryptomundo.com) that a mystery animal has been spotted in PA.

Loren likes to have his exclusives so I will respect that and not cut & paste all the info here - but here is a link to the sighting report:
http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/fayette-bf/

And there is an update in which the witness describes the animal as being more "werewolf" like than "apelike."

A 6-foot tall wolf-like animal in PA?

The witness was driving down the road about 35-40 mph, when suddenly, she caught out of the corner of her eye, a figure coming from the left side and approaching her. Her first thought was that a person was about to walk out in front of her car, and she was about to hit the subject.

She suddenly swerved over to the right side of the road, and was thankful that nobody was there. As she was making the turn, she got a good look at the figure, and suddenly realized that it was not a person, but a strange creature. As she sat there for a moment, she looked into her rear view mirror, and realized that the creature had gotten behind her car. “I looked into the rear view mirror and I saw it leap across my trunk.”

While still pulled over on the roadside, the woman remained seated in her car, trying to regain her composure. She could not believe what had just occurred. Seconds later she looked up to see the creature now on her right side running quickly down the middle of another road about 75 feet away. That was the last time she saw it. The entire incident had lasted just several seconds, but enough time for the witness to recall a detailed description of a creature which she was certain was not human, or a person in a costume.

What she saw in daylight and at very close range was a dark colored, hair covered man-like creature, which she estimated was, “at least 6 feet tall or slightly taller.” The creature, which walked upright on two legs, had a head that was said to be large and elongated, and covered with hair that just looked wild.

A 6' tall animal with an elongated face? In Pennsylvania?

I wonder if it bares any resemblance to the Jacob's photos?

idoubtit
Poster
Custom Title: Overwhelmed

Re: Another PA "creature" sighting?

Postby idoubtit » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:46 am

Interesting. I don't know what to make of it. Eric Altman, Stan Gordon and the PBS have made a point of relating lots of Bigfoot tales from SW PA area, so I've heard many about Bigfoot searching through trash bins, etc.

As usual, the few cryptomundo folks commenting are impressed with the witness and her report. They are in full paranormal mode - Bigfoot with pointy ears, odd traits mentioned make it more believable, etc. I see several problems with the report, some of which can not be resolved. At 6PM, it was not dark. 35 MPH is not very fast, something approaching the car would either look human (bipedal) or not (quadraped). Don't understand the "leap across the trunk" part. How did it get behind the car? I'm also having a difficult time picturing the layout of the road since another road 75ft away was mentioned. There are several details left out about the creatures movement.

The report should say "Jumonville" not Jammonville. This area east of Uniontown is rugged and heavily wooded. There are not many roads. Rt 40 (National Pike) is the main road through the area.

The PBS has a closed forum and I am not currently intent on registering to listen in. This closed community aspect is understandable due to the amount of woo from would-be commenters (and an unwelcome skeptical viewpoint) but it also makes it decidedly not science. A closed community is a warped community, I think. No new input is incorporated. They make little progress.

As a PA resident, I can tell you that bears are apparently all over the place right now. My Dad saw one dead on the interstate last weekend (through eastern PA) and he had never seen that before.

Great analysis of the Jacobs photo, BTW. I hadn't read it until now and it was very valuable. The mangy bear look so much like the hyena-like creatures reported in various places.

idoubtit
Poster

Postby idoubtit » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:46 am

OK. I have seen the pictures:
http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-ne ... te-bf-pix/

THIS IS A RESIDENTIAL AREA. Why was no one else around at 6PM on a Friday night?! The thing apparently walked through the parking lot of a convenient store. I have a harder time believing that there weren't people around the store getting a pack of smokes.

This makes no sense whatsoever.

DoctorAtlantis
Poster

Postby DoctorAtlantis » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:48 am

That is a strange report and set of photos.
The images on Cryptomundo describe the distance to the hill as "5 blocks" but google maps shows it to be 8 miles from city-center. (Which is more consistent with what the photo shows.)
http://www.monstertalk.org/images/chest ... ontown.jpg
chestnuttouniontown.jpg

Are they trying (as I think they are) to imply that although the sighting happened in a town that it was on the verge of a vast, bigfoot-filled wilderness? (Or "werewolf" filled?)

It seems like the witnesses want to describe a snouted hairy - but not totally hairy - animal. While the bigfooters want it to be - well, a bigfoot.

If I've got the right place - which I think from the details I do - there is A LOT of development there but the investigators (or perhaps Cryptomundo) is playing up the rural aspect.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 1&t=h&z=15

I'm assuming the school they're talking about is one of the dots near W. Fayette St.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

idoubtit
Poster

Postby idoubtit » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:48 am

I think you are right. Watch for Loren to point out the "significance" of "Fayette" (Mysterious America p. 276-277)

Jedischooldropout

Postby Jedischooldropout » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:49 am

"Why was no one else around at 6PM on a Friday night?!"

The number of cars in a number of those photos and the alleged time of day... and not a soul in sight.

Pardon my cynicism, but how much effort did it take to get those shots? Or perhaps Pennsylvania is very different from British Columbia where cars and people tend to co-exist peacefully.

idoubtit
Poster

Postby idoubtit » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:49 am

I see people on the street and in the cars going down the road. (I'm unsure when the investigators took the photos, actually.) In a town such as this, traffic at 6PM on a Friday night is heavy - kids cruising and people picking up pizza, cigarettes, beer and, generally, out spending their paycheck.

There is a remote area relatively near here and I was giving her the benefit of the doubt that she saw some animal. But, now, I'm having a hard time buying that. Someone else would have reported it. People in the city have dogs, they are busy-bodies, they like to chit-chat with their neighbors. Something like a bear would likely not go unnoticed - in the daylight, at least.

Jedischooldropout

Postby Jedischooldropout » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:49 am

Okay, well I am exaggerating.

There is a group of people and a distant car in this photo...

http://www.cryptomundo.com/wp-content/u ... n-left.jpg

But otherwise it seems to be nothing but empty streets, parks and parked cars.

I was being a bit general and snarky for my own amusement. Such is my modus. Sorry.

idoubtit
Poster

Postby idoubtit » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:50 am

Eric Altman (from PA Bigfoot Society) graciously commented on my blog post where I reiterated some points from this discussion.

http://idoubtit.wordpress.com/2009/07/23/pa_bigfoot/

DoctorAtlantis
Poster

Postby DoctorAtlantis » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:50 am

That was a very polite exchange.

I wonder if any of the stores in the area had street-facing video? Probably too late to get that data now even if they do.

Plus it would probably not show any creature based on the "truthiness" of this sighting.

idoubtit
Poster

Postby idoubtit » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:51 am

Yes, it was polite. I like Eric.

I think it's reasonable for there to have been a camera facing the store parking lot. But, who knows if it was working, if it got any data, etc. This is not a high-crime area.

I see this story is pretty much dying out. No new input is going into it. Another tale that might be embellished and told in some supernatural-themed book, I'll bet.

idoubtit
Poster

Postby idoubtit » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:51 am

An example of mistaken identity in Fayette ct. Perhaps I might say, again, because it's not the Bigfoot of this thread.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/dailyco ... 1345.html#

Return to “Monster News”