Big Brother is watching you....and he's near-sighted.

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Unlimited_Oracular_Guidance

Big Brother is watching you....and he's near-sighted.

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:40 am

I'm not sure where this topic belongs, so I put it here. It looks like it ought to be an oops for Amazon. But Amazon isn't backing down on this. In other words, they are making eyewitness testimony even worse than it already is and encouraging tens of millions of vigilantes to smear their neighbors. Back in my day, people used to smear their neighbors as Communists, on the least suspicion. (In one notorious case that I haven't got time to track down now, a civic-minded person representing a charitable initiative gave a presentation that led to the charity being closed down, because the presentation had "Russian-sounding" background music playing.)

So now, we have this. As the ACLU says, Amazon is hardly showing responsibility by falsely claiming that it asks its users to set the probability filter higher for criminal prosecutions. (Side issue: Who the HELL designs this probability filter? Based on what criteria?)

The only encouraging side of the story is that the politicians matched with mug shots of criminals by this software were both Republicans and Democrats. If they had been only Democrats, Trump supporters would have replied that they probably WERE the people in the mug shots and had been concealing their criminal records with a false name. :mrgreen:
I don't know anything about quantum mechanics, but I know what I like.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: Big Brother is watching you....and he's near-sighted.

Post by Gord » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:05 pm

Yeah, but it's Congress. Surely they are all suspected of some crime or other.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Re: Big Brother is watching you....and he's near-sighted.

Post by landrew » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:11 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:I'm not sure where this topic belongs, so I put it here. It looks like it ought to be an oops for Amazon. But Amazon isn't backing down on this. In other words, they are making eyewitness testimony even worse than it already is and encouraging tens of millions of vigilantes to smear their neighbors. Back in my day, people used to smear their neighbors as Communists, on the least suspicion. (In one notorious case that I haven't got time to track down now, a civic-minded person representing a charitable initiative gave a presentation that led to the charity being closed down, because the presentation had "Russian-sounding" background music playing.)

So now, we have this. As the ACLU says, Amazon is hardly showing responsibility by falsely claiming that it asks its users to set the probability filter higher for criminal prosecutions. (Side issue: Who the HELL designs this probability filter? Based on what criteria?)

The only encouraging side of the story is that the politicians matched with mug shots of criminals by this software were both Republicans and Democrats. If they had been only Democrats, Trump supporters would have replied that they probably WERE the people in the mug shots and had been concealing their criminal records with a false name. :mrgreen:
I think I saw this recently while browsing in a shop. A kid was trying out a bike, and he suddenly dashed out the door with it. One of the clerks was alarmed and asked if he should chase him down. The other one said, "No, we've got him on camera. There will be a cop waiting for him at home with his parents." I assume the local police force had already purchased the facial recognition software from Amazon.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.