Criticism on coaching

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
The abnormal thinker

Criticism on coaching

Postby The abnormal thinker » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:46 pm

There are various types of those, most of which I don't care about..

But some of which are, in my opinion, very relevant to us, mainly because they tend to sell their clients vague promises, which means they have no falsifiability - it's impossible to prove that they can or cannot fulfill their promises, which means.. That they CANNOT be considered charlatans.

In short, instead of being charlatans who promise things they can't fullfill, they promise vague things that have no practical significance.

So while their customers commit to something obvious (giving them money), they don't, making it easy for them to say that whatever happened to their customers is what should have happened.

I'd really like to talk about them, because I've never seen skeptic websites talk about those. Skeptics talk a lot about all those "Alternative therapists" that also sometimes fail to define what they sell, but other than that I saw nothing about those people, and I'd like to discuss their "type" of thinking.

I can write a ton about that, but here's the easiest example:

Lifestyle guru - People who give advice for lifestyle. Examples for their promises (from websites they have): "how to be happy", "ultimate success", making and bla bla.. And they alone may be making billions of dollars per year. :shock:

It reminds of me of the topic of cults, as if many of those "coaches" are basically selling their own religion. Coaches and founders of religions are no different in this regard - expect for the "spirituality".

By the way, because there are so many variations of coaching and lack of regulation on the matter, I doubt there's any point to research the topic with Google scholar or whatever. Any coach will probably claim that the entire existing research literature about coaching is irrelevant to him to defend himself, because "I'm different than all other coaches..".

Am I the only one who noticed that? Or is there material from skeptics about those people I don't about? You're welcome to express your opinion, too, I won't bite you

I'm seriously considering starting an entire blog for the simple sake of criticizing those type of coaches, maybe by pretending to be one myself. The fact that it's easy is excatly why I think it's a good idea..

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: Criticism on coaching

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:55 pm

Making vague unfalsifiable claims is the mark of a con job. Easy to spot and to avoid.

OTOH: don't confuse the obvious con that needs no proof to avoid with tales of personal achievement, happiness, experience offered for others as an idea to check out. No fraud involved at all, just a demonstration of the range of human appreciation.

I made this distinction just yesterday reading testimonials on how great Kombucha tea is. While an acquired taste for most, some people apparently really like it. I see no reason not to give it a taste and see what my experience is.

Simple.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:58 pm

I don't think they make billions...some make a good living....good advice is given...positive thinking, thankfulness, nice acts...all are proven to make people happy...one does say he is a certified life coach...certified by whom? basically a motivational speaker...nothing wrong with that....
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:18 pm

from article^^^ "But organizations like the International Coach Federation (ICF) are establishing certification processes, and growing numbers of universities, including Harvard, Columbia, Stanford, New York University and Georgetown, are introducing training programs."-----sooo...universities are getting involved...semi-therapy maybe...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:20 pm

Lindsay Lohan's life coach...they are supposed to confront bad behavior...yeah...the coach soon quit..... https://youtu.be/3E6-TtPavns

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:29 pm

her coach did graduate with honors and is also a fitness coach

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:04 pm

I signed up to coach an amotivational seminar.
Well, I was going to.
trump is Putin's bitch

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:12 am

Reminds me of the comedy series Hiccups: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiccups_(TV_series)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0KQEIPVj3g

Basically, the woman is a crazy author of children's books and the guy is trying to be a "life coach" for her even though there's no training for such a "profession" and he doesn't know what he's doing. If it were a drama instead of a comedy, he'd be scamming her.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

The abnormal thinker

Postby The abnormal thinker » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:15 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Making vague unfalsifiable claims is the mark of a con job. Easy to spot and to avoid.

OTOH: don't confuse the obvious con that needs no proof to avoid with tales of personal achievement, happiness, experience offered for others as an idea to check out. No fraud involved at all, just a demonstration of the range of human appreciation.

I made this distinction just yesterday reading testimonials on how great Kombucha tea is. While an acquired taste for most, some people apparently really like it. I see no reason not to give it a taste and see what my experience is.

Simple.

Guess you're right. Maybe this thread is more pointless than I realized. It explains a lot about why many of those "life coaches" seem legal, even if they claim stuff like "I am god".

I've seen some psychologists trying to give self-help tips (of the same type those "life coaches" give) based on scientific research, but it's not good enough. Maybe instead I'd better off talking about "skeptical personal development" - self-help tips that are brought based on scientific skepticism. It's a better way to "combat" those kind of cons.

@gorgeous - as far as I know those coaches don't have to learn anything to legally claim that they're coaches, and those who do learn don't spend many years to become "certified" life coaches.

Return to “General Discussion”