Unknown and unlamented

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
User avatar
Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2385
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:15 am
Custom Title: He Who Usually Means Well
Location: The Land Formerly Known as Pangea

Unknown and unlamented

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:35 pm

Hugh Hefner is dead. Those of my generation will remember how he pretty much single-handedly led the charge that killed censorship in America, and made billions of dollars out of a mountain of female flesh doing so. While I'm glad censorship of that kind is mostly gone, I think overall he was a degrading influence on the country. Fortunately, I'm sure anybody 20 years younger than me is hooting like an owl: "Hugh who?" And that is a small comfort, at least.
"A general conversion among the boys was once effected by the late excellent Mr. Fletcher: one poor boy only excepted, who unfortunately resisted the influence of the Holy Spirit, for which he was severely flogged; which did not fail of the desired effect, and impressed proper notions of religion on his mind."

James Lackington, Memoirs of the First Forty-five Years of the Life of James Lackington, the Present Bookseller

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8109
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby Poodle » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:20 pm

Hugh who?
(OK - I lied).

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26360
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:18 am

I would say that Hugh Hefner understood that a basic human behavioral characteristic existed, that was not exploited due to a current cultural taboo. He simply ignored the taboo. :D

It makes me wonder what other current taboos have been set aside allowing existing suppressed behaviour to "do as it wished".


One example, to me, is dating websites and casual sex websites. Fifty year ago gay men met quietly in public toilets and told no one. Nowadays its all in the open.

I can't have a moral view on how other people behave and as I don't like pornography or casual sex websites, as a concept, I will simply stay away from them myself. That's all I can do.

(Mind you......I'd love to go on a tour of Playboy Mansion to what was actually going on there ) :D

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29090
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby Gord » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:35 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote:Those of my generation will remember how he pretty much single-handedly led the charge that killed censorship in America....

I thought that was Larry Flynt.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2385
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:15 am
Custom Title: He Who Usually Means Well
Location: The Land Formerly Known as Pangea

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:29 am

Gord wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:Those of my generation will remember how he pretty much single-handedly led the charge that killed censorship in America....

I thought that was Larry Flynt.


He was in the fight, but Hefner was there first. Got arrested in Chicago back in 1962 for publishing pictures of Jayne Mansfield with suggestive captions. Before Hefner, there was Ralph Ginzburg, who actually went to jail for publishing "Eros" (a decision upheld by a liberal Supreme Court in the mid-1960s, after years of appeals by Ginzburg). And the limit of Eros's "obscenity" was to include a few words with a letter or two replaced with an asterisk. No "dirty pictures" in it.

That reminds me of Norman Mailer's great novel "The Naked and the Dead," where the soldiers were constantly complaining about "the fuggin' army." When Tallulah Bankhead was introduced to Mailer, she said, "Oh yes. You're the guy who doesn't know how to spell {!#%@}."

But I digress. The important issue is this; Is there sex after death?
"A general conversion among the boys was once effected by the late excellent Mr. Fletcher: one poor boy only excepted, who unfortunately resisted the influence of the Holy Spirit, for which he was severely flogged; which did not fail of the desired effect, and impressed proper notions of religion on his mind."

James Lackington, Memoirs of the First Forty-five Years of the Life of James Lackington, the Present Bookseller

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19455
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:35 pm

Playboy was the classy porn when I was a kid. No pubes. Made for some strange poses. But bare butts and boobs worked for a 13 yo.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10182
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:34 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote: (Mind you......I'd love to go on a tour of Playboy Mansion to what was actually going on there ) :D


Just stay out of the grotto.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5818
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 3:00 am

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:22 pm

As a kid growing up in the 1980's I'm indebted to Hugh Hefner.
I mean, there were good articles in Playboy.

:D

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7367
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby TJrandom » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:32 pm

Back in the day, there was a cottage industry affliated with customs here in Japan - which either used a broad brush of black ink to cover over below waist pictures or depictions (cartoons) - and simply tore off the bottom half of the foldouts. But you could separately buy ink remover which half worked, and at times the torn-off portions were separately available - enterprising censors that they were.

If you wanted to see nudity - you could go to the public bath, many of which were mixed except for the entrance and dressing rooms.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26360
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:31 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:As a kid growing up in the 1980's I'm indebted to Hugh Hefner.
I mean, there were good articles in Playboy. :D


Apparently Playboy's photographer was a wildlife conservationist photographer. A friend told me that early Playboy magazines had many photos of long haired beavers and it is almost impossible to see one of these today. I haven't look myself.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19455
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:34 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:As a kid growing up in the 1980's I'm indebted to Hugh Hefner.
I mean, there were good articles in Playboy. :D


Apparently Playboy's photographer was a wildlife conservationist photographer. A friend told me that early Playboy magazines had many photos of long haired beavers and it is almost impossible to see one of these today. I haven't look myself.

That's because they were cross-bred with Chihuahuas, the Mexican Hairless breed, to produce the Brazilian Beaver we know today.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19634
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:55 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:...

But I digress. The important issue is this; Is there sex after death?

I think that's still illegal.
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5818
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 3:00 am

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:04 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:As a kid growing up in the 1980's I'm indebted to Hugh Hefner.
I mean, there were good articles in Playboy. :D


Apparently Playboy's photographer was a wildlife conservationist photographer. A friend told me that early Playboy magazines had many photos of long haired beavers and it is almost impossible to see one of these today. I haven't look myself.


:D
:lol:
:rotfl:

User avatar
Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2385
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:15 am
Custom Title: He Who Usually Means Well
Location: The Land Formerly Known as Pangea

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:45 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:As a kid growing up in the 1980's I'm indebted to Hugh Hefner.
I mean, there were good articles in Playboy. :D


Apparently Playboy's photographer was a wildlife conservationist photographer. A friend told me that early Playboy magazines had many photos of long haired beavers and it is almost impossible to see one of these today. I haven't look myself.


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"A general conversion among the boys was once effected by the late excellent Mr. Fletcher: one poor boy only excepted, who unfortunately resisted the influence of the Holy Spirit, for which he was severely flogged; which did not fail of the desired effect, and impressed proper notions of religion on his mind."

James Lackington, Memoirs of the First Forty-five Years of the Life of James Lackington, the Present Bookseller

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:09 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:As a kid growing up in the 1980's I'm indebted to Hugh Hefner.
I mean, there were good articles in Playboy. :D


Apparently Playboy's photographer was a wildlife conservationist photographer. A friend told me that early Playboy magazines had many photos of long haired beavers and it is almost impossible to see one of these today. I haven't look myself.
Image
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:23 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:While I'm glad censorship of that kind is mostly gone, I think overall he was a degrading influence on the country.
I have mixed feelings about porn. Morally, I don't object to it, other than the prevalence of woman-as-object rather than woman-as-thinking-participant.

Realistically, porn is singlehandedly responsible for the lack of quality sex in the world. People watch porn and believe they gain sexual skills. In reality, the overwhelming majority of porn is utterly unrealistic, quite a lot of it is completely ridiculous, and some of it is "WTF? Why would anyone do that?"

Women indulge in "locker room talk" quite as much as men do, and I've not yet met a woman who waxes enthusiastically about being pounded for an hour, DP, having her breasts treated like stress balls, gigantic phalluses, or "facials." :roll:

If porn were more realistic, perhaps it might be educational, thus raising the overall quality of sex worldwide. Not to mention making people less shy about speaking up about what they want...and don't want.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2385
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:15 am
Custom Title: He Who Usually Means Well
Location: The Land Formerly Known as Pangea

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:03 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:While I'm glad censorship of that kind is mostly gone, I think overall he was a degrading influence on the country.
I have mixed feelings about porn. Morally, I don't object to it, other than the prevalence of woman-as-object rather than woman-as-thinking-participant.

Realistically, porn is singlehandedly responsible for the lack of quality sex in the world. People watch porn and believe they gain sexual skills. In reality, the overwhelming majority of porn is utterly unrealistic, quite a lot of it is completely ridiculous, and some of it is "WTF? Why would anyone do that?"

Women indulge in "locker room talk" quite as much as men do, and I've not yet met a woman who waxes enthusiastically about being pounded for an hour, DP, having her breasts treated like stress balls, gigantic phalluses, or "facials." :roll:

If porn were more realistic, perhaps it might be educational, thus raising the overall quality of sex worldwide. Not to mention making people less shy about speaking up about what they want...and don't want.


I agree. I think you have to look at porn videos in context. The true context is: Here's a woman or a bunch of women doing things in front of a camera that no woman actually wants to do; she/they is/are doing it either for money, or self-promotion, or to please some man. When you keep that in mind, the willing suspension of disbelief that all fiction and drama requires becomes impossible. Of the motivations I listed, the least objectionable is the monetary one: It's a fair exchange. I'll pretend I'm being driven mad with passion while some off-duty piano mover mauls me, and at the end you owe me $500. The pretense is open and aboveboard, and doesn't have to be maintained once the camera is turned off.
"A general conversion among the boys was once effected by the late excellent Mr. Fletcher: one poor boy only excepted, who unfortunately resisted the influence of the Holy Spirit, for which he was severely flogged; which did not fail of the desired effect, and impressed proper notions of religion on his mind."

James Lackington, Memoirs of the First Forty-five Years of the Life of James Lackington, the Present Bookseller

User avatar
Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5818
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 3:00 am

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:23 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote: I have mixed feelings about porn. Morally, I don't object to it, other than the prevalence of woman-as-object rather than woman-as-thinking-participant.


I feel the same way about it. Porn's been around for thousands of years, it's just changed with the times.

Realistically, porn is singlehandedly responsible for the lack of quality sex in the world. People watch porn and believe they gain sexual skills.


That is funny and true. The reality is what you are seeing are men and women that do not conform to the norm, normal people just aren't like that.

In reality, the overwhelming majority of porn is utterly unrealistic, quite a lot of it is completely ridiculous, and some of it is "WTF? Why would anyone do that?"


Ayup.... :lol:

Women indulge in "locker room talk" quite as much as men do, and I've not yet met a woman who waxes enthusiastically about being pounded for an hour, DP, having her breasts treated like stress balls, gigantic phalluses, or "facials." :roll:


I never had a girlfriend and certainly my wife has never requested a "threesome." All the things you mentioned above would get you kicked out of bed and the relationship terminated....at least with the women I've known.

I agree that porn sets up unrealistic expectations between men (especially young men) and women. As you get older as a guy you quickly figure out that women are not playthings to be used and put away. I was lucky in that I had two sisters who frequently threatened to beat me within an inch of my life if I thought of women or tried to treat women in that fashion.


If porn were more realistic, perhaps it might be educational, thus raising the overall quality of sex worldwide. Not to mention making people less shy about speaking up about what they want...and don't want.


I agree.

I think, as a man or women, if you treat porn like the fantasy it is and maybe get some pointers along the way it's OK. But, too much is harmful, just like anything else.

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4125
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby gorgeous » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:26 pm

Nyx...who thinks during sex? ...unless you aren't enjoying it....or fantasizing...women don't have locker talk as much as men...more than they used to now but still not as obsessed as males are....there are women who do some of the acts you mentioned and even enjoy them....I've heard young women talk of getting pounded (not for an hour) and relishing the memory of it...some women are very sexual beings and others..not so much...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:03 am

gorgeous wrote:Nyx...who thinks during sex?
If you're not thinking, you're doing it wrong. Or you don't give a {!#%@} about your partner.

gorgeous wrote:women don't have locker talk as much as men
Yes, they do. The nature of it differs slightly, but it's "locker room talk" just the same. If I am to presume that you are female, then maybe your women friends just don't open up to you in this way.

gorgeous wrote:there are women who do some of the acts you mentioned and even enjoy them....
I didn't say there weren't; I said:
I've not yet met a woman who waxes enthusiastically about being pounded for an hour, DP, having her breasts treated like stress balls, gigantic phalluses, or "facials." :roll:
I was relating my experience, not making a factual statement.

gorgeous wrote:I've heard young women talk of getting pounded (not for an hour)
Exactly. Perhaps you should reread what I wrote. I didn't say rough sex should be abandoned entirely; I said "for an hour" was unrealistic...if you plan on walking the next day, that is. Or even putting on panties.

gorgeous wrote:some women are very sexual beings and others..not so much...
That speaks nothing to the types of sexual acts women enjoy...or not. Maybe you only like missionary position, but you like it every day. That would make you a "sexual being" quite as much as the woman who prefers more variety, but only three times a week.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19634
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:16 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:While I'm glad censorship of that kind is mostly gone, I think overall he was a degrading influence on the country.
I have mixed feelings about porn. Morally, I don't object to it, other than the prevalence of woman-as-object rather than woman-as-thinking-participant.

Realistically, porn is singlehandedly responsible for the lack of quality sex in the world. People watch porn and believe they gain sexual skills. In reality, the overwhelming majority of porn is utterly unrealistic, quite a lot of it is completely ridiculous, and some of it is "WTF? Why would anyone do that?"

Women indulge in "locker room talk" quite as much as men do, and I've not yet met a woman who waxes enthusiastically about being pounded for an hour, DP, having her breasts treated like stress balls, gigantic phalluses, or "facials." :roll:

If porn were more realistic, perhaps it might be educational, thus raising the overall quality of sex worldwide. Not to mention making people less shy about speaking up about what they want...and don't want.


There's a TED tok for that.
Hi, Io the lurker.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10182
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:22 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:
I have mixed feelings about porn. Morally, I don't object to it, other than the prevalence of woman-as-object rather than woman-as-thinking-participant.

Which is what porn is. Whats the other part of the mix?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:01 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:
I have mixed feelings about porn. Morally, I don't object to it, other than the prevalence of woman-as-object rather than woman-as-thinking-participant.
Which is what porn is. Whats the other part of the mix?
The recognition that women are autonomous people and enjoy sex quite as much as men? If more women were involved in producing porn, it might be more interesting and realistic, instead of coming across like the autobiographies of mindless sex addicted men and women solely interested in getting Slot A into Tab B.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10182
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:04 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:
I have mixed feelings about porn. Morally, I don't object to it, other than the prevalence of woman-as-object rather than woman-as-thinking-participant.
Which is what porn is. Whats the other part of the mix?
The recognition that women are autonomous people and enjoy sex quite as much as men? If more women were involved in producing porn, it might be more interesting and realistic, instead of coming across like the autobiographies of mindless sex addicted men and women solely interested in getting Slot A into Tab B.

Is this the hierarchy: porn, sex, love? Categories with overlap, but not to be confused?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:15 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Is this the hierarchy: porn, sex, love? Categories with overlap, but not to be confused?
Unlike many women, I don't equate sex with love. At the same time, IMO, both improve when the two are combined. It's the difference between sating your hunger with a burger...and savoring a perfectly cooked ribeye dinner. Not that there's anything wrong with the burger. ;)

Porn should be about sex, not about how many objects one woman can fit inside her, possibly simultaneously*. I seriously doubt any man wants sex IRL to be like stirring a lobster pot with a chopstick. :mrgreen:

*Note: The above description is a single example, not representative of the genre in its entirety. But there are many such examples.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10182
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:28 am

Point: Is this the hierarchy: porn, sex, love? Categories with overlap, but not to be confused?

Reply: Porn should be about sex

Crazy begins by applying one's own special definition to words/concepts/ideas. Why do you not post that porn should be about love?

Edit: Crazy==?Faulty analysis
I'm just too used to posting that Crazy is often indicated by creating one's own language. We haven't reached crazytown yet........just .............ooops......... ".....♫.... There, I did it again.........."

I blame anything but myself.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Phoenix76
Poster
Posts: 259
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:16 am
Custom Title: Phoenix76
Location: Qld, Australia

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby Phoenix76 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:24 am

SEX! The most talked about topic in the world. Well, perhaps in the western world. But given some eastern mythology I've come across, it would appear that it is also their most talked about subject. That most famous book "The Karma Sutra". Banned in many western countries for years, it has to be the most disappointing piece of "supposed porn" you will ever find. If you haven't scanned its pages, then maybe you should. It will give you a good laugh if nothing else. Maybe it means something deeper in the Indian scheme of things, and maybe they are all double jointed.

But seriously, porn as we know it today, would be the most overrated subject, at least to do with sex, that you will come across. As others have mentioned, what woman wants to have her pussy abused for an hour? And more to the point, what bloke would have it in him to do that sort of banging?

Porn as we see it today is totally unrealistic. Yeah sure, when I was a young bloke, it might have revved me up some, and then go to my woman to try and reproduce what I had just seen, and then five minutes later, well is that all you've got. I think it puts too many expectations on blokes, and perhaps some women. The end result perhaps, is very unsatisfactory sex, maybe leading to relationship failure.

I figure that if I've got a good woman, I don't need artificial stimulus to make love to her. And to make love in a way that we both enjoy, and both get satisfaction from. Trying to conform to the John Holmes style of banging for an hour, with a weapon of enormous dimensions, will bring on frustration when you cannot compete with that BS. That in turn will not nourish a good physical relationship.

In truth, these days I find porn bloody boring. I'm happy to watch an R rated movie with a good story, and I might even get some stirrings, but to sit and watch an hour of bang,bang,bang, forget it.

And when it comes to the type or intensity of porn, I've probably seen it all. Let's just say that I can't think of anything that I haven't seen in a porn movie. I'll let you use your imagination.

My friends, find yourself a good woman, or man, and love that person within your combined capabilities. And remember, for most of us, are sexual abilities are relatively short lived, don't believe the hype, face the facts and hope that you have made a good decision with your partner, and enjoy a companionship that will last for all days.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10182
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:14 am

Wut?????

Porn is porn.

Sex is Sex.

Love is Love.

Lots of overlap, but each one also distinct.

The only Porn that is not realistic is porn that is confused with sex and love.f

We think with words............... a flower with ideas.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2385
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:15 am
Custom Title: He Who Usually Means Well
Location: The Land Formerly Known as Pangea

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:00 am

Phoenix76 wrote:I figure that if I've got a good woman, I don't need artificial stimulus to make love to her. And to make love in a way that we both enjoy, and both get satisfaction from. Trying to conform to the John Holmes style of banging for an hour, with a weapon of enormous dimensions, will bring on frustration when you cannot compete with that BS. That in turn will not nourish a good physical relationship.


Donald Trump has framed this idea, a bit more crudely and with the focus on himself (who else is there?): "If a man needs Viagra, he's with the wrong woman." Well, he should know. He has used his money, as he proudly boasts, to eliminate that annoying, boring thing called foreplay. Why SHOULD he worry about giving pleasure to his partner?

Phoenix76 wrote:In truth, these days I find porn bloody boring. I'm happy to watch an R rated movie with a good story, and I might even get some stirrings, but to sit and watch an hour of bang,bang,bang, forget it.


Exactly my feeling! Even at the age of 75, I find that the sight of a naked woman is arousing. But all that banging around is boring. A famous feminist said, "Two minutes of porn makes me feel like I want to screw; ten minutes makes me feel like I never want to screw again."

And about the women's locker-room talk...I wouldn't know, never having been inside a women's locker room when the women were there, but I seriously doubt if the scene at the opening of the movie "Carrie" is typical of the behavior of high-school girls. I'm a fan of the Eve Dallas "...in Death" series of mysteries by J.D. Robb (pseudonym of Nora Roberts, which is probably ALSO a pseudonym...), and Eve and her sidekick Peabody are constantly talking in that style known as Locker Room Roman. I get a chuckle out of reading that. But Eve and her husband Roarke are constantly Doing It like a couple of monkeys, and I tend to skip over those passages. I like Eve and Roarke, and these descriptions always seem like an invasion of their privacy.
"A general conversion among the boys was once effected by the late excellent Mr. Fletcher: one poor boy only excepted, who unfortunately resisted the influence of the Holy Spirit, for which he was severely flogged; which did not fail of the desired effect, and impressed proper notions of religion on his mind."

James Lackington, Memoirs of the First Forty-five Years of the Life of James Lackington, the Present Bookseller

User avatar
ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3069
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:21 pm
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby ElectricMonk » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:03 am

"Thanks to the Internet, I'm now bored with sex."
-Philip J. Fry
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

User avatar
Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2385
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:15 am
Custom Title: He Who Usually Means Well
Location: The Land Formerly Known as Pangea

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:09 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:"Thanks to the Internet, I'm now bored with sex."
-Philip J. Fry


Bertrand Russell predicted this a century ago. He took the extreme position that anything at all should be publishable. (But of course, he lived the first 30 years of his life under Queen Victoria and probably didn't realize just what "anything" might mean.) He said, "Suppose filthy postcards were permitted. I think at first there would be a surge of interest in filthy postcards, but then people would simply learn to ignore them." Well, he wasn't quite right. Addiction doesn't work that way. People do get bored with sex, but that may lead them to more and more extremes of masochism and sadism, where people do actually get hurt. I remember back in the days when Playboy would not yet publish photographs of pudenda; people said, they were painting themselves into a corner. What would they do for an encore if they ever showed them? Well, we know what happened. Playboy clubs became ridiculous, as did the magazine and the whole faux-sophisticated Playboy lifestyle.

But you are right: It was really the Internet, which made porn free and available in unlimited quantities, that really killed Playboy, Penthouse, Hustler, and their ilk. People no longer had to buy a physical magazine with boring still photos. They could get technicolor action and full sound by just clicking on a home page, where there was an index allowing them to choose their favorite brand.
"A general conversion among the boys was once effected by the late excellent Mr. Fletcher: one poor boy only excepted, who unfortunately resisted the influence of the Holy Spirit, for which he was severely flogged; which did not fail of the desired effect, and impressed proper notions of religion on his mind."

James Lackington, Memoirs of the First Forty-five Years of the Life of James Lackington, the Present Bookseller

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10182
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:22 pm

But you are right: It was really the Internet, which made porn free and available in unlimited quantities, that really killed Playboy, Penthouse, Hustler, and their ilk. ///////////=======>and newspapers and Mom and Pop bookstores and Publishing Houses..............that kind of ilk?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:18 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Point: Is this the hierarchy: porn, sex, love? Categories with overlap, but not to be confused?

Reply: Porn should be about sex

Crazy begins by applying one's own special definition to words/concepts/ideas.
Like you did with your hierarchy? ;) Where exactly do you envision porn overlapping with love?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Why do you not post that porn should be about love?
Because the purpose of porn is to induce sexual excitement in the viewer. Relationships in porn are usually those of temporary convenience, sufficient for a sexual interlude, but insufficient for the development of love. If you want to watch a movie about love, pick a romantic comedy or drama. If you want sex and love in the same movie, you'll be reduced to stealing married couple's sex tapes. :mrgreen:

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Edit: Crazy==?Faulty analysis
I disagree that my analysis is faulty. I've...seen things...that allege to be porn, yet have nothing to do with sex, and that generate a disgust response—from men and women alike—rather than a voyeuristic excitement response.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:I'm just too used to posting that Crazy is often indicated by creating one's own language.
Except when one is formulating new concepts that require new language. Or is the person who created the term "quantum physics" crazy?
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:37 pm

Phoenix76 wrote:As others have mentioned, what woman wants to have her pussy abused for an hour? And more to the point, what bloke would have it in him to do that sort of banging?
Exactly. After a certain amount of time, the process becomes painful for both parties. Friction burns and bruises are not sexy.

Phoenix76 wrote:I think it puts too many expectations on blokes, and perhaps some women. The end result perhaps, is very unsatisfactory sex, maybe leading to relationship failure.
This is exactly the failure of porn I initially mentioned...the whole "monkey see, monkey do."

Better sex education is an answer, although I imagine most American parents would freak out at the idea, since they're in denial that their teenagers are having sex. I recall two of my daughter's friends' parents refused to allow them to take sex ed in the 6th grade. At that point, it was mainly about puberty, not sex. My daughter aced the course, because I'd already taught her the information she needed to know. Which was fortunate for her two friends, who hadn't even been taught about their impending menstruation!

Phoenix76 wrote:with a weapon of enormous dimensions
Completely overrated. I'm 160cm tall and petite and, frankly, I prefer my cervix where it is; I don't want it in my throat. :lol: It's not size; it's technique.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10182
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:00 pm

porn-sex-love==>all totally definitional. Define your terms one way, you get one result. Define the terms a different way, and you get a different result.

Raise your hand: who here thinks there is only one definition for each term?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5818
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 3:00 am

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:02 pm

Nikki Nix wrote:If you want sex and love in the same movie, you'll be reduced to stealing married couple's sex tapes.


I have an amusing story about that....

I worked for Blockbuster Video in the mid-1990's (ah, video stores, sorely missed) while I was attending college. We checked each tape as it came in to make sure the tapes were in the correct case and to rewind them as necessary.

Sometimes people would accidentally put their VHS tapes inside, like Disney tapes or action movies, etc. We would call them and have them exchange their tape for ours. Most of the time it was fairly innocuous but sometimes people would put their porn in our cases. This would cause a lot of hilarity on our part, we would call (after watching it, of course) and make some sheepish frat boy come up and get his tape. Most of the time it was it was heterosexual but I once caught my female assistant manager giggling over gay porn that she found in a case.

Well, I once stumbled across a random VHS tape stuck in one of our cases. I looked up the account and while I was doing this our manager, not realizing it was a private tape stuck it in a VCR to rewind it. When it hit the beginning it started playing and, to our surprise, wound up being someone's private sex tape. We knew who the couple was, they came in every weekend to rent stuff.

So, I called them and told them about the mixup. The woman answered and I told her what happened. She didn't believe me, she told me they weren't missing any of their VHS tapes.

"Well," I said, "It isn't a tape you bought but it's one of your personal tapes."

Behind me I heard people just cracking up.

The woman went dead silent.

"Um, did you watch it?"

"No ma'am. When we saw it was a personal tape we didn't turn it on."

"Ok, don't watch it, it's private. I'll be in tomorrow to pick it up."

She came in right when we opened the next day to get it. It took everything we had not to smirk or laugh.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10182
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:19 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote: She came in right when we opened the next day to get it. It took everything we had not to smirk or laugh.

Can't tell. Have you grown up since then? Happy for other people that are happy???????

I've always wished I had some kind of fetish......so I could indulge it. Pissing on other people...... just doesn't do it.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5818
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 3:00 am

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:24 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote: She came in right when we opened the next day to get it. It took everything we had not to smirk or laugh.

Can't tell. Have you grown up since then? Happy for other people that are happy???????

I've always wished I had some kind of fetish......so I could indulge it. Pissing on other people...... just doesn't do it.



Well, bobo.....I was younger back then.......I found it funny.

It's an amusing story......from when I was younger........that's why I decided to share it.


Try not to.....take yourself......so seriously. Remember, bobo......no one.....gets out.....of this life.............alive.

The moral of the story.......is........always check your tapes.....before you return.......you videos.

Well, I guess the idea of "returning tapes" is obsolete now.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10182
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:34 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote: The moral of the story.......is........always check your tapes.....before you return.......you videos.

Thats only the moral from one end of the stick. The issue/subject I point out is at the other end of the stick. I envy people that are happy.......doing "whatever" they want to do that brings thems pleasure, and no harm to anyone else.

don't you???? ......................NOW.............. if not then?

And thats my point: growing up. Telling {!#%@} from shinola. Laughing/smirking/judging other people is that proverbial finger pointing....one finger at the other.... three back at yourself.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Unknown and unlamented

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:47 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote: She came in right when we opened the next day to get it. It took everything we had not to smirk or laugh.

Can't tell. Have you grown up since then? Happy for other people that are happy???????

I've always wished I had some kind of fetish......so I could indulge it. Pissing on other people...... just doesn't do it.
:confused: "Pissing on other people" is pretty much what you're doing right now...to Jeff...by judging him now for actions he took when he was younger. How's the weather up on that pedestal? You should probably climb down before you fall off.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest