I'm now a skeptic

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
User avatar
mirror93
Poster
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:06 pm

I'm now a skeptic

Postby mirror93 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:48 am

Skeptics showed me the non-religious way to life. i was a non-dualist preacher, now I'm free from all religious trash. I'm now a new member of la skeptic famiglia.

I hope Placid, Relinquish95, Shaka, Gorgeous and some other clowns also set themselves free of their false religious dogmas.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26761
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: I'm now a skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:53 am

mirror93 wrote:Skeptics showed me the non-religious way to life. i was a non-dualist preacher, now I'm free from all religious trash. I'm now a new member of la skeptic famiglia.


Skeptics can't show you to a non-religious way of life. All Skeptics can do is listen to a claim and then assess the evidence.

I think what you are saying is that : You can see the advantages of adopting the scientific method when it comes to assessing data and claims.

User avatar
mirror93
Poster
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Re: I'm now a skeptic

Postby mirror93 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:54 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
mirror93 wrote:Skeptics showed me the non-religious way to life. i was a non-dualist preacher, now I'm free from all religious trash. I'm now a new member of la skeptic famiglia.


Skeptics can't show you to a non-religious way of life. All Skeptics can do is listen to a claim and then assess the evidence.

I think what you are saying is that : You can see the advantages of adopting the scientific method when it comes to assessing data and claims.


yeah, I expressed myself wrong

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11030
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: I'm now a skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:55 am

A religious way of life has a lot going for it. The validity of the underlying belief system has little to do with that.

As Dr Phil so often instructively says: "Do you want to be happy......or do you want to be right."

NOT a scientific question at all.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29430
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: I'm now a skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:56 am

I think we should all be non-duelists.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19757
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: I'm now a skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:42 am

. :duel:
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29430
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: I'm now a skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:21 am

You'll put your eye out!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8229
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: I'm now a skeptic

Postby Poodle » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:13 am

mirror93 wrote:Skeptics showed me the non-religious way to life. i was a non-dualist preacher, now I'm free from all religious trash. I'm now a new member of la skeptic famiglia.

I hope Placid, Relinquish95, Shaka, Gorgeous and some other clowns also set themselves free of their false religious dogmas.


What changed your mind, mirror93?

User avatar
mirror93
Poster
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Re: I'm now a skeptic

Postby mirror93 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:30 pm

Poodle wrote:
mirror93 wrote:Skeptics showed me the non-religious way to life. i was a non-dualist preacher, now I'm free from all religious trash. I'm now a new member of la skeptic famiglia.

I hope Placid, Relinquish95, Shaka, Gorgeous and some other clowns also set themselves free of their false religious dogmas.


What changed your mind, mirror93?


it doesn't make sense anymore.
I was blind but now I see, evolution is true
so yeah.

User avatar
Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4855
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:22 pm
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk
Location: Detroit
Contact:

Re: I'm now a skeptic

Postby Austin Harper » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:06 pm

You once were lost but now you are found?
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

User avatar
mirror93
Poster
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Re: I'm now a skeptic

Postby mirror93 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:11 pm

Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.
that's why

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29430
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: I'm now a skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:15 pm

Aude, igitur, esse semper idem.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: I'm now a skeptic

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:07 pm

mirror93 wrote:Skeptics showed me the non-religious way to life. i was a non-dualist preacher, now I'm free from all religious trash. I'm now a new member of la skeptic famiglia.

I hope Placid, Relinquish95, Shaka, Gorgeous and some other clowns also set themselves free of their false religious dogmas.
There's a lot to be said for the comfort of religion; it offers an answer to everything without worries. But it cannot be that security blanket while also being factual, and therein lies the problem for the skeptic.

Having always been an apatheist, I never had to experience the emotional change-over you're going through...and it must be extremely difficult, Mirror. I have a great deal of empathy for you. Not only have you changed from believer to skeptic, but theist was actually your way of life, since you were a preacher. If I may, I'd like to make a few suggestions.

Don't blame yourself for your previous beliefs. We are all, at the end of the day, only human. We all make mistakes. I've certainly made my share! And still do. The trick is to learn from our mistakes, move forward without continuing to blame ourselves, and not repeat the same errors.

Don't completely trash your previous beliefs. While quite a lot of negativity has originated from organized religion, faith, in and of itself, has inspired greatness around the world and across cultures. Towering gothic cathedrals. Islamic mosques with intricate, handmade mosaics. The pyramids and stone circles of the world. Handel's Messiah and Bach's Mass in B Minor. Medieval icons. The ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Even an atheist feels awe at experiencing these accomplishments.

Recognize the historicity of religion and myth. It's endlessly fascinating, the ideas that we created to explain natural phenomena prior to science. And those ideas were valuable in their times and places, and still valuable to us now, because they help us to learn about those times and places. Without them, history would be a blank page to us.

Most of all, be at peace with the choice you've made. It will require you to be more self-reliant, knowing that the universe is random, not planned. Revel in the idea that there are unanswered questions; this is not something to fear, but something to rejoice in, because it means there are still things to discover. And enjoy this earthly life! It's pretty damn awesome, even when looked at through the lens of science. Science doesn't detract from the beauty of a rainbow, or the deep awe of a meteor shower. In fact, I happen to think that knowing how these phenomena occur make them even more amazing. Carpe diem et noctem, my friend.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Monster
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4998
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Tarrytown, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: I'm now a skeptic

Postby Monster » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:43 pm

mirror93 wrote:Skeptics showed me the non-religious way to life. i was a non-dualist preacher, now I'm free from all religious trash. I'm now a new member of la skeptic famiglia.

I hope Placid, Relinquish95, Shaka, Gorgeous and some other clowns also set themselves free of their false religious dogmas.

If you're happy, I'm happy.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Posts: 10521
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: I'm now a skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:22 pm

Gord wrote:You'll put your eye out!


Mom never said anything about duelling. With her, it was always "don't run with scissors, you'll put your eye out."

Not a word about duelling.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29430
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: I'm now a skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:19 pm

Really? My mom warned me about duelling on no less than three separate occasions.

Luckily, I was born with five eyes, so I still have two left.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Posts: 10521
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: I'm now a skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:26 pm

Why would she warn you after you put an eye out. Did she hate you?
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29430
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: I'm now a skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:27 pm

Well, if she didn't, I have no idea why she kept poking me in the eye with a rapier.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Posts: 10521
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: I'm now a skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:47 pm

No wonder she didn't want you duelling while she was soloing.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
Cygnus_X1
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1482
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:08 am
Location: Middle Of Nowhere

Re: I'm now a skeptic

Postby Cygnus_X1 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:34 am

mirror93 wrote:Skeptics showed me the non-religious way to life. i was a non-dualist preacher, now I'm free from all religious trash. I'm now a new member of la skeptic famiglia.

I hope Placid, Relinquish95, Shaka, Gorgeous and some other clowns also set themselves free of their false religious dogmas.


You are confusing skepticism with atheism...or 'non religiousness'. The two are not the same, and not necessarily even connected. I know of atheists who believe the world is flat, or that the planet Nibiru exists.

Being a sceptic simply means questioning everything. I doesn't mean you have no beliefs...it means that you recognise that whatever beliefs you do have may be irrational, biased, or whatever, and that humans are complex beings who are quite capable of being 100% rational on everything except their pet belief....and maybe we shouldn't be quite so eager to beat the last vestige of comfort rag out of people.

In my books its OK to believe in crazy things....just as long as you are prepared to concede that they are crazy.
100,000 lemmings can't be wrong.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29430
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: I'm now a skeptic

Postby Gord » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:50 pm

Cygnus_X1 wrote:In my books its OK to believe in crazy things....just as long as you are prepared to concede that they are crazy.

Dude, that's so crazy it just might pork! I think that's the saying. That's the saying, right?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
mirror93
Poster
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Re: I'm now a skeptic

Postby mirror93 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:34 pm

This was the best decision I've ever made!!!!! UHU!

User avatar
Phoenix76
Poster
Posts: 346
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:16 am
Custom Title: Phoenix76
Location: Qld, Australia

Re: I'm now a skeptic

Postby Phoenix76 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:01 am

As aforesaid, atheism is not skepticism.

Atheism, as I have light heartedly put previously, is not believing in a god, the devil, or other things that go bump in the night. But skepticism is the rational questioning of beliefs tended by others.

A skeptic does not necessarily disbelieve everything. In fact, once a skeptic has asked the questions and evaluated the responses, he/she may well believe in god, for example. I believe that a skeptic must rationalise the evidence put forth, and then, perhaps, make a decision as to belief or not.

As I see it, the only similarities between atheists and skeptics, is that the atheist does not believe in anything supernatural, whereas a skeptic, after thorough consideration of the evidence available, may well come to believe in the existence of a god,or some other mystic being. It is not cut and dried.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11030
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: I'm now a skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:56 pm

A skeptic believing in God? ====== Not skeptical enough.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Posts: 10210
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: I'm now a skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:31 am

As I have said before, it is important to know what kind of skeptic you are. The word skeptic simply means one who doubts. There are philosophical skeptics who doubt everything, whether that doubt is justified or not. I am a scientific skeptic who is focussed on evidence. I judge beliefs on the evidence, and I judge the evidence by whether it is credible, objective, and empirical. In other words, whether it stacks up to the scientific concept of good evidence.

User avatar
xouper
True Skeptic
Posts: 10692
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:04 pm
Contact:

Re: I'm now a skeptic

Postby xouper » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:47 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:As I have said before, it is important to know what kind of skeptic you are. The word skeptic simply means one who doubts. There are philosophical skeptics who doubt everything, whether that doubt is justified or not. I am a scientific skeptic who is focussed on evidence. I judge beliefs on the evidence, and I judge the evidence by whether it is credible, objective, and empirical. In other words, whether it stacks up to the scientific concept of good evidence.


Well said. I do the same thing. We have something in common.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11030
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: I'm now a skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:19 am

I'm not a skeptic. I'm a pragmatist. "If it works..........close enough." I don't really care why. If it doesn't work, I don't really care why.

Now, if there's time to think about it, or just for grins, then some kind of analysis can take place. ALL the evidence, sorted weighed and compared. Nothing need be "believed in" or accepted or rejected. Just: if you want A..... then do B and C. When D works better than C, you start using D.

Simple. Eg: God may exist or not, but Prayer has never worked, so I don't use it. What to do with guns, AGW, fat in your diet, micro-nutrients etc? Literature search and take the majority view. When D becomes the majority view, replace C with it. Truth is the truth...........or does it simply work?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8229
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: I'm now a skeptic

Postby Poodle » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:18 am

That looks to me as though you are equating a majority view with the truth, bobbo. Surely not? Not even for a pragtising pragmatist.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11030
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: I'm now a skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:26 pm

Well, I failed. I was trying to say "the truth" was practically/in reality not really the issue. What works is what is important as is the search for same. EG: flat maps are not the truth, but they work, so they are used. Same with Newtonian Physics. And what is experimentation except finding out what works? We like to think it is the truth that is "driving" the reality we see, but our appreciation of it is by finding what works, which may or may not be the truth: it doesn't even matter.

But....close enough: the majority view (of those qualified to have an opinion) is at every point in time the best guess we have and is most likely the truth/what will work. It doesn't bother me at all for instance if we note ulcers first had the majority view that it was caused by stress.......but that answer didn't work for too many people, so the subject continued to be looked at. Today, the truth is microbes....and that will last until the next truth comes along.

I posted years ago that I believe in AGW because 97% of qualified scientist do. Utterly stupid or worse to thing otherwise................but............if that position falters and a new consensus forms around Unicorns causing GW, then that is what I will think. I will be right more often than wrong "most" of the time.

Ha, ha.........this is all about the material world. Sadly, I suspect "the truth" as it may be variously appreciated for emotional and values laden issues is more often found in minority opinions. I guess this follows from most of the harms in this world being caused by the majority? Ha, ha...........nice fit there.

Let me rephrase the offense: "Truth is the truth but it is found by what works." It is definitional on all levels.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8229
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: I'm now a skeptic

Postby Poodle » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:56 pm

OK - that's better, bobbo. I see your point and it is, to a great extent, correct - ever closer approximation does work for a great number of purposes. It's practical - but nothing upon which to rest your laurels. "Things run in families" was a general truism, but stopping there would never have led to the medical advances granted by genetic research. Religion gave us stable societies but would have left us in the Dark Ages in all other ways. Basic atomic theory gave us the thermionic valve, but it took quantum theory to give us solid state electronics and, hence, our ability to have this conversation in this form at this speed.
I agree that 'close enough' works probably 99% of the time. It's that last one per cent which gives us breakthroughs.

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Posts: 10210
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: I'm now a skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:37 pm

I doubt that religion gave us stable societies. In terms of the highest percentage of the population killed in war, the thirty year war was the worst ever experienced in Europe. It was fighting between Catholics and Protestants.

I agree with Bobbo that the majority of experts will most often be the correct answer. Of course, when we talk of experts, we are not talking of philosophers or clergy.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11030
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: I'm now a skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:17 pm

Poodle wrote: It's practical - but nothing upon which to rest your laurels.

I like that. aka: what works needs to be kept working on.

Poodle wrote: Religion gave us stable societies but would have left us in the Dark Ages in all other ways.

I don't like that and will second Lance's comment and also note that it wasn't religion or the antipathy or the dispute among it that caused the Dark Ages. Ha, ha..............what caused the Dark Ages seems to be in ascendance right now from all the talk about political "tribalism" I hear right now. Small scale vs Large scale.......then you cross the Rubicon as with Best Korea right now. So many changes, so much never does.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Posts: 10210
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: I'm now a skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:02 pm

My view is that the Dark Ages were not "caused" by anything. After all, they were a continuation of what went before. Normally the Dark Ages are dated as starting with the fall of the Roman Empire. But the technology, art and culture of the various societies of the Dark Ages were pretty much on a par with the Romans. (With one major exception. The loss of the knowledge of how to make concrete.)

The real question is why there was no measurable technological progress. My answer is that it was a mixture of the inhibiting influence of the Catholics, plus the devotion to the teachings of the ancient Greeks, and the lack of willingness to challenge anything they had written. There were not enough skeptics around.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11030
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: I'm now a skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:02 am

Hmmmm....you directly contradicted what I posted............... and I think you are right. Ha, ha=====>it all comes down to that concrete. No big splendid cities for a couple of centuries....but I like the subtlety of the Dark Ages reaching the same complexity and simply failing to progress. That deserves the label as much as what I thought before which is some kind of decline.............so thanks.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8229
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: I'm now a skeptic

Postby Poodle » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:06 am

The Dark Ages, eh? That was probably the most stable period ever in the history of Europe. Got a good idea? - prepare to be burned! Stable doesn't necessarily mean good - in societal terms it also means stagnant. The only majority view which counted was that of the church, and the church was not renowned for its liberal attitude toward the truth.


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest