I'm now a skeptic

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
mirror93
Poster

I'm now a skeptic

Postby mirror93 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:48 am

Skeptics showed me the non-religious way to life. i was a non-dualist preacher, now I'm free from all religious trash. I'm now a new member of la skeptic famiglia.

I hope Placid, Relinquish95, Shaka, Gorgeous and some other clowns also set themselves free of their false religious dogmas.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Re: I'm now a skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:53 am

mirror93 wrote:Skeptics showed me the non-religious way to life. i was a non-dualist preacher, now I'm free from all religious trash. I'm now a new member of la skeptic famiglia.

Skeptics can't show you to a non-religious way of life. All Skeptics can do is listen to a claim and then assess the evidence.

I think what you are saying is that : You can see the advantages of adopting the scientific method when it comes to assessing data and claims.

mirror93
Poster

Postby mirror93 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:54 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
mirror93 wrote:Skeptics showed me the non-religious way to life. i was a non-dualist preacher, now I'm free from all religious trash. I'm now a new member of la skeptic famiglia.

Skeptics can't show you to a non-religious way of life. All Skeptics can do is listen to a claim and then assess the evidence.

I think what you are saying is that : You can see the advantages of adopting the scientific method when it comes to assessing data and claims.

yeah, I expressed myself wrong

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:55 am

A religious way of life has a lot going for it. The validity of the underlying belief system has little to do with that.

As Dr Phil so often instructively says: "Do you want to be happy......or do you want to be right."

NOT a scientific question at all.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:56 am

I think we should all be non-duelists.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:42 am

. :duel:
Hi, Io the lurker.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:21 am

You'll put your eye out!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:13 am

I hope Placid, Relinquish95, Shaka, Gorgeous and some other clowns also set themselves free of their false religious dogmas.

What changed your mind, mirror93?

mirror93
Poster

Postby mirror93 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:30 pm

Poodle wrote:

What changed your mind, mirror93?

it doesn't make sense anymore.
I was blind but now I see, evolution is true
so yeah.

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:06 pm

You once were lost but now you are found?
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

mirror93
Poster

Postby mirror93 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:11 pm

Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.
that's why

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:15 pm

Aude, igitur, esse semper idem.
#ANDAMOVIE

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:07 pm

There's a lot to be said for the comfort of religion; it offers an answer to everything without worries. But it cannot be that security blanket while also being factual, and therein lies the problem for the skeptic.

Having always been an apatheist, I never had to experience the emotional change-over you're going through...and it must be extremely difficult, Mirror. I have a great deal of empathy for you. Not only have you changed from believer to skeptic, but theist was actually your way of life, since you were a preacher. If I may, I'd like to make a few suggestions.

Don't blame yourself for your previous beliefs. We are all, at the end of the day, only human. We all make mistakes. I've certainly made my share! And still do. The trick is to learn from our mistakes, move forward without continuing to blame ourselves, and not repeat the same errors.

Don't completely trash your previous beliefs. While quite a lot of negativity has originated from organized religion, faith, in and of itself, has inspired greatness around the world and across cultures. Towering gothic cathedrals. Islamic mosques with intricate, handmade mosaics. The pyramids and stone circles of the world. Handel's Messiah and Bach's Mass in B Minor. Medieval icons. The ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Even an atheist feels awe at experiencing these accomplishments.

Recognize the historicity of religion and myth. It's endlessly fascinating, the ideas that we created to explain natural phenomena prior to science. And those ideas were valuable in their times and places, and still valuable to us now, because they help us to learn about those times and places. Without them, history would be a blank page to us.

Most of all, be at peace with the choice you've made. It will require you to be more self-reliant, knowing that the universe is random, not planned. Revel in the idea that there are unanswered questions; this is not something to fear, but something to rejoice in, because it means there are still things to discover. And enjoy this earthly life! It's pretty damn awesome, even when looked at through the lens of science. Science doesn't detract from the beauty of a rainbow, or the deep awe of a meteor shower. In fact, I happen to think that knowing how these phenomena occur make them even more amazing. Carpe diem et noctem, my friend.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:43 pm

If you're happy, I'm happy.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:22 pm

Gord wrote:You'll put your eye out!

Mom never said anything about duelling. With her, it was always "don't run with scissors, you'll put your eye out."

Not a word about duelling.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:19 pm

Really? My mom warned me about duelling on no less than three separate occasions.

Luckily, I was born with five eyes, so I still have two left.
#ANDAMOVIE

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:26 pm

Why would she warn you after you put an eye out. Did she hate you?
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:27 pm

Well, if she didn't, I have no idea why she kept poking me in the eye with a rapier.
#ANDAMOVIE

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:47 pm

No wonder she didn't want you duelling while she was soloing.

Cygnus_X1
Frequent Poster

Postby Cygnus_X1 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:34 am

You are confusing skepticism with atheism...or 'non religiousness'. The two are not the same, and not necessarily even connected. I know of atheists who believe the world is flat, or that the planet Nibiru exists.

Being a sceptic simply means questioning everything. I doesn't mean you have no beliefs...it means that you recognise that whatever beliefs you do have may be irrational, biased, or whatever, and that humans are complex beings who are quite capable of being 100% rational on everything except their pet belief....and maybe we shouldn't be quite so eager to beat the last vestige of comfort rag out of people.

In my books its OK to believe in crazy things....just as long as you are prepared to concede that they are crazy.
100,000 lemmings can't be wrong.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:50 pm

Cygnus_X1 wrote:In my books its OK to believe in crazy things....just as long as you are prepared to concede that they are crazy.

Dude, that's so crazy it just might pork! I think that's the saying. That's the saying, right?
#ANDAMOVIE

Return to “General Discussion”