Ryan's list of budget cuts

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Dear [Salutation][First Name]

Ryan's list of budget cuts

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:22 pm

This has apparently been around for a while. My Trump-supporting neighbor seems to be having orgasms over it. With fact-checking commentary, here's what they are:

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/08/about- ... ican-cuts/

My view: Liberal causes like the National Endowment for the Arts have few friends, and so they might well be cut. Republicans really hate the NEA. So, they'll save what is essentially chicken feed in the federal budget this way. But the big items, like forcing competitive bidding, ending sugar subsidies, etc. simply will not happen. The people those things would hurt OWN the Republican Party. There is no way those things are going to be cut, despite Rep. Ryan's idealistic and naive belief to the contrary. And where they do make cuts, they'll throw people out of work, or make it impossible for them to go shopping, and the result will be jobs lost in the economy and tax revenue lost to the government. I'd bet these proposals, if enacted (they won't be) would wind up increasing the federal deficit, not reducing it.
"Reserve a part of your wrath ; you have not seen the worst yet. You suppose that this war has been a criminal blunder and an exceptional horror ; you imagine that before long reason will prevail, and all these inferior people that govern the world will be swept aside, and your own party will reform everything and remain always in office. You are mistaken."

George Santayana, "Tipperary" (1918)

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Re: Ryan's list of budget cuts

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:28 pm

If he faces opposition, he just has to reword things and they will be embraced. It's their own game plan...

(I'm not quite serious here, but yes, I am. Sort of. :-P)

Lard, save me from your followers.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:23 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote: I'd bet these proposals, if enacted (they won't be) would wind up increasing the federal deficit, not reducing it.

I thought that's what happened in any GOP administration.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Dear [Salutation][First Name]

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:27 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote: I'd bet these proposals, if enacted (they won't be) would wind up increasing the federal deficit, not reducing it.

Sorry, I fear I'm not quite getting your drift.

You seem to be saying that (unnamed) people claim that ANY Republican administration will increase deficits. A lot of people have pointed out that the Reagan and GW Bush administrations definitely DID increase deficits, but I don't recall any claim that all Republican administrations do that. With the exception of the Clinton Administration, deficits have gone on year in, year out, under both Democratic and Republican administrations, and I think the conservative Republican Congress that Clinton had to compromise with had something to do with reducing the deficits during his term.

I'll go further, cynic that I am. It always seems to be the party that doesn't control the White House that worries about deficits the most. When the same party controls both the White House and Congress, the sky's the limit on spending, and deficits don't matter. Just my informal observation, not based on scientific data.
"Reserve a part of your wrath ; you have not seen the worst yet. You suppose that this war has been a criminal blunder and an exceptional horror ; you imagine that before long reason will prevail, and all these inferior people that govern the world will be swept aside, and your own party will reform everything and remain always in office. You are mistaken."

George Santayana, "Tipperary" (1918)

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:03 pm

My gut memory: Republicans talk the game but outspend the Dumbos .... all the time.

It might get somewhat confusing or muddles in cases Like Obama where much of what he spent was to fix what Bush the Retard did...............but in general. You know: liberals always wanting to tax everything? It has an effect.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:41 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:

You seem to be saying that (unnamed) people claim that ANY Republican administration will increase deficits. A lot of people have pointed out that the Reagan and GW Bush administrations definitely DID increase deficits, but I don't recall any claim that all Republican administrations do that. With the exception of the Clinton Administration, deficits have gone on year in, year out, under both Democratic and Republican administrations, and I think the conservative Republican Congress that Clinton had to compromise with had something to do with reducing the deficits during his term.

I'll go further, cynic that I am. It always seems to be the party that doesn't control the White House that worries about deficits the most. When the same party controls both the White House and Congress, the sky's the limit on spending, and deficits don't matter. Just my informal observation, not based on scientific data.

You need to visit the GAO site.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:50 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:

You need to visit the GAO site.

https://gao.ca/ :befuddled: Golf Ontario?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Return to “General Discussion”