The Yemen Raid

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: He Who Usually Means Well

The Yemen Raid

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:49 pm

So, what do we really KNOW about this? How much are we likely to find out, given the Trump Administration's obvious reluctance to talk about it?

It was apparently planned, at least in part, under Obama, but not given the go-ahead by him. That was Trump's move, and certain military leaders are now saying he did so with inadequate safeguards built in, and that it should have been aborted once the element of surprise was lost. Less reliable are the stories that say Trump slept through it, not showing up in the situation room. (His people do admit that he wasn't there. They don't admit that he was sleeping.) More recently, I've seen the claim that Bannon egged him on to do it by saying Obama wouldn't have the spine to approve this. (How this could be known, I'm not sure, so I'm discounting it for now.)

I wonder if Obama would have aborted this mission. The Seals really came through for him in two politically very risky ventures, the rescue of Captain Phillips and the killing of Osama bin Laden. It took real guts to approve those missions, especially remembering what happened to Jimmy Carter after the failed attempt to rescue the hostages in Teheran. It's possible, he'd have tried his luck one more time. It's also possible that he would have taken considerably more care than Trump did to get a mission that was ready to fly.

If anybody has any more hard facts about this, please post them.
"A general conversion among the boys was once effected by the late excellent Mr. Fletcher: one poor boy only excepted, who unfortunately resisted the influence of the Holy Spirit, for which he was severely flogged; which did not fail of the desired effect, and impressed proper notions of religion on his mind."

James Lackington, Memoirs of the First Forty-five Years of the Life of James Lackington, the Present Bookseller

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Re: The Yemen Raid

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:00 pm

I don't have anymore facts.

However, it does seem to me that the military would always have a large range of "90% worked out" plans, that may, or may not, come into play, depending on the political environment or unique scenario opportunities. I can't really blame either Obama or Trump for the success or failure of these sorts of missions. It really depends on what advice they get from the military.

I liked Jimmy Carter, but poor President Carter did approve that disastrous mission to rescue the USA embassy staff held prisoner in Iran. Was it his fault? I don't think so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Eagle_Claw

Let's wait and see if we get anymore facts. :D

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:39 am

We don't know enough to definitively allocate blame.
There is good reason to assume that Trump made an uninformed decision, simply because so far, all his decisions have been uniformed.

The most important thing now is to see if Trump and learn from this: we should not judge him on this, but for the next raid we should hold him to account mercilessly.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:23 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:...so far, all his decisions have been uniformed.

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Return to “General Discussion”