Catch Me Up!

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Catch Me Up!

Postby Austin Harper » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:33 am

I took a break for a couple of weeks months (Really?! How time flies!) and I missed some real gems.
RizoliTV.png

Does anybody want to catch me up on any major events I missed while I work my way through 200 unread threads?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Re: Catch Me Up!

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:01 am

Hey! Good seeing ya! :-D

Jim Rizoli... misbehaved as you can imagine one of his persuasion might, but eventually was suspended for repeated copyright violations. After he and his brother (Joe Rizoli) then sent abusive emails to Pyrrho, both were banned.

If you still would like to see him in action, he/they took his garbage to ISF. I believe this is his first post there and in the meantime twelve more pages of nothing worth reading on their part have accumulated.

But I think you've got your work cut out here anyhow. :-P
Last edited by scrmbldggs on Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lard, save me from your followers.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:04 am

Austin Harper wrote: Does anybody want to catch me up on any major events I missed while I work my way through 200 unread threads?

We had three holocaust denier idiots join. The Rizoli twins and their assistant. They were posting 1970's debunked propaganda. Pyrrho gave them their marching orders. They relocated to the ISF/JREF forum and are getting suspended there.

Azania, the newbie, is still posting ridiculous Indian Vedic philosophy. I can't be bothered checking but it's probably another sock puppet of Clarifyit4me, Shaka or all those other people who made the exact same posts.

It's been a little bit quieter than normal, but I don't know if the USA summer holiday is a reason for that.
It's winter in Australia.

That's all. Nothing else has really gone on.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:14 am

Trump is running for presdidn't.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:17 am

Gord is asking for Russian translations.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12865&start=6240

That's now four forum members learning Russian.

It's a commie take-over, I tells ya......

Angel
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: LOVE

Postby Angel » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:44 pm

*catch me up ~ into the clouds...
I sing as I twirl around...* :rain:

Nothing has changed except they have
become even more immature than I
could have possibly imagined. doh!
To be or not to be?
To believe or
Not to believe?
To be live or
Not to be live?
To exist or
Not to exist?
What was the question?

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster

Postby Austin Harper » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:08 pm

Is Gord actually learning, too? Who's the fourth?

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Monster » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:24 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:Gord is asking for Russian translations.

That's now four forum members learning Russian.

It's a commie take-over, I tells ya......

I'm not a commie!
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster

Postby Austin Harper » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:33 pm

Monster wrote:I'm not a commie!

That sounds like something a Communist would say.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:15 pm

Austin Harper wrote:Is Gord actually learning, too? Who's the fourth?

May the fourth be with you.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:17 pm

Angel wrote:*catch me up ~ into the clouds...

Did you know that if you have a big enough nose you can train a ferret to go in one nostril and out the other?
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Angel
Frequent Poster

Postby Angel » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:30 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Angel wrote:*catch me up ~ into the clouds...

Did you know that if you have a big enough nose you can train a ferret to go in one nostril and out the other?

And if you can handle it~ you can swallow it and have it come out your bum.
To be or not to be?
To believe or
Not to believe?
To be live or
Not to be live?
To exist or
Not to exist?
What was the question?

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:20 am

Tom and Cherylynn broke up. Tom needed space but we all know the real reason. I mean, it was pretty friggin obvious.
Mrs. Heath from four houses down has a new puppy. She licks and pants a lot and she's really friendly so I tried to lay her on the floor to rub her belly and play with her some more but Mr. Heath and their new {!#%@} puppy were in the next room so I couldn't.
My cousin is pregnant.
Chuy found a job. He won't say what he does because the guys he works with would have him killed if he talks but at least he's occupied. I hope it's legit.
My cat just ate but he was doing that when you left.
Anyways, welcome back
trump is literally a piece of {!#%@}.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:10 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:Gord is asking for Russian translations.

Are you sure that's Russian? :befuddled:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster

Postby Austin Harper » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:46 pm

Well it could be Ukrainian. "Генеральный План Города Аккермана" is valid in both.

By the way, Akkerman is Turkish for White Fortress, and the modern Ukrainian name means White City on the Dniester. It's name in Russian is Belgorod-Dnestrovskiy, the same but with spelling to match the Russian pronunciation.

It's too bad the document still uses the old Turkish name or else we would be able to know which language it was written in.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:25 am

Gord wrote:Are you sure that's Russian? :befuddled:
The Slavic languages are to Eastern Europe, what legionnaire's Latin is to the Romance languages of Western Europe.

When I was in Zagreb, Darko a croat friend who ran the hotel, could sort of understand Russians as they both spoke variations of Slavic.

From 1804 until the Russian Revolution, the Ukrainian language was banned from schools in the Russian Empire, of which the biggest part of Ukraine (Central, Eastern and Southern) was a part at the time
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_language

As your official map is from 1841, I think my friend Vladimir assumed it was in Russian.

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster

Postby Austin Harper » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:02 pm

My dad speaks Russian (he's sort of tutoring me over the phone as I work my way through the textbook) and he told me he is able to understand Ukrainians from the East side of the country but not really people from the West side. He is currently learning Bosnian, Croatian, and Serbian, which are all subsets of the Slavic language Serbo-Croatian. He's focusing on Serbian because it is written in Cyrillic characters with the idea that it should be easier to then expand his vocabulary slightly with the different words in Croatian and Bosnian which are both written in the Latin alphabet.

Angel
Frequent Poster

Postby Angel » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:13 pm

My daughter got Russian For Dummies.
She seemed to learn it rather easily.
To be or not to be?
To believe or
Not to believe?
To be live or
Not to be live?
To exist or
Not to exist?
What was the question?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:51 am

Austin Harper wrote:.....he told me he is able to understand Ukrainians from the East side of the country but not really people from the West side. He is currently learning Bosnian, Croatian, and Serbian, which are all subsets of the Slavic language Serbo-Croatian.

I think the interesting question is comparing the different reasons for spread of Latin based languages in Western Europe to the spread of Slavic languages in the east.

I would say that the continual movement of Roman legions around Europe, caused soldiers to evolve an international language to allow for combined fighting as a team, no matter where they were stationed. When Justinian reorganised the Roman Army to fixed frontier forts and fast mobile cavalry, the fixed forts became commercial centres, and as legionaries married locals Latin based language became the trading language.

Slav = Feminine Captive ( "Slavonic" ) or "slave".

I am not 100% sure yet, but I'm starting to think, Slavic was the international language of slaves moved around eastern Europe by the Tatars, Vikings and Mongols. I find it odd how the Russians call the Viking invaders "management consultants" rather than "rapist plunderers" and sort of accept a passive dictatorship as a normal course of life. ( I think serfdom is a little but built into the Russian way of thinking).

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Flash » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:42 am

I find it strange that the Roman word "esclavo" was adopted in the Western Europe as the name for the Slavic people. Actually, Slavs did not appear in Eastern Europe until the fourth and the fifth centuries AD. If the Romans used to get their slaves from the Eastern Europe before that, they would have to be either the Celts or the Germanic people.

We know that AD Rome was full of Germans. They served as slaves, mercenary soldiers and traders. Caligula's own imperial guard which finally assassinated him was made up entirely of Germans.

During the great migrations of people in Europe the Germanic tribes came from the East to replace the Celts who were squeezed further west. Franks, Goths, Vandals, Belgians, Anglos, Saxons and more, crossed through the Eastern Europe and moved West and South. The Slavs, as they are known now, came after them when the Roman Empire was already in decline and probably managed to inherit the name , esclavos, from the people who were there before.

They were then referred to by various names;
Although a number of sources describe the Slavs, there are several problems with using the texts to build upon available knowledge of the early Slavs. Useful historical information about the Slavs from them is cryptic or does not identify their source.[14] The works tend to discuss the Slavs only in terms of their effects on surrounding empires, particularly the Byzantines and the Franks. The variety of names referring to the Slavs, such as Antes, Sclaveni, and Venethi, and the regions they may have occupied make it difficult to establish geographical boundaries of major settlement.
(Wiki)
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:04 am

Austin Harper wrote:Well it could be Ukrainian. "Генеральный План Города Аккермана" is valid in both.

By the way, Akkerman is Turkish for White Fortress, and the modern Ukrainian name means White City on the Dniester. It's name in Russian is Belgorod-Dnestrovskiy, the same but with spelling to match the Russian pronunciation.

It's too bad the document still uses the old Turkish name or else we would be able to know which language it was written in.

Not sure if you've seen the other post yet that shows more of it? Да нет, наверное?

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster

Postby Austin Harper » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:29 pm

Я ёго ещё не видел. Я вижу на его сейчас.

That extra bit of text solves it. Both Russian and Ukrainian have the word план for "plan" but they differ in declension. Russian has плана in the singular accusative case while Ukrainian has no change. This could be because Russian has a difference in declension for animate and non-animate masculine nouns (like plan), but I'm not sure.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:49 am

Austin Harper wrote:My dad speaks Russian (he's sort of tutoring me over the phone as I work my way through the textbook) and he told me he is able to understand Ukrainians from the East side of the country but not really people from the West side. He is currently learning Bosnian, Croatian, and Serbian, which are all subsets of the Slavic language Serbo-Croatian. He's focusing on Serbian because it is written in Cyrillic characters with the idea that it should be easier to then expand his vocabulary slightly with the different words in Croatian and Bosnian which are both written in the Latin alphabet.

Study help for Cats-Up↑.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:06 am

Jujing frum the time ranje covered in theze posts, you went on vacation around 680 AD.

This meanz that I'm seriously outa the loop agen - far more seriously than I thot wen I picked my custom title.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Return to “General Discussion”