Online Narcissists

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Cadmusteeth
Frequent Poster

Online Narcissists

Post by Cadmusteeth » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:02 pm

I have been listening to an audio book for people recovering from relationships with narcissists and psychopaths called "Psychopath Free" decided to do some research on how they operate on the net. This video is what I have found so far and it's very interesting.https://youtu.be/cgyd8YEKh80

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Re: Online Narcissists

Post by TJrandom » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:56 pm

Sooo... appropriate for all Americans... erm, all of humanity, come 2020, or even before if impeachment succeeds? ;)

Cadmusteeth
Frequent Poster

Post by Cadmusteeth » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:12 pm

I think I only understood the last two thirds of what you wrote.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:12 am

"...a cult of fans, followers, stalkers, erotomaniacs, denigrators, and plain nuts...."

I prefer my nuts slightly saucy.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Wordbird
Poster

Post by Wordbird » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:14 am

I'm a narcissist. I don't think it makes a person automatically dangerous if it's controlled.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Post by Poodle » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:26 am

I think the uncontrolled sale of narcotics is terrible.

Cadmusteeth
Frequent Poster

Post by Cadmusteeth » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:12 pm

Wordbird wrote:I'm a narcissist. I don't think it makes a person automatically dangerous if it's controlled.
Do you have a good idea of who you are? Because narcissists don’t have a sense of self.

Wordbird
Poster

Post by Wordbird » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:19 pm

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/cond ... y-disorder

This pretty well describes me. I feel like I have more empathy than your average narcissist, but I've had to cultivate it. It's not even true empathy in that it's not automatic.

I don't care if people suffer. I never have. I can understand on an intellectual level that I ought to care, so I act like I do.

Don't misunderstand and conclude that this is some form of lying; I'll actually give up stuff to make someone else happy if I judge that I ought to do so. I won't cop-out because I'm trying to embody this behaviour, not fake it. For me it's just an entirely learned behaviour. I have no more instinct to do it than I have instinct to tap dance.

I do get particularly upset when the people with the empathy instinct are clearly trying to cop-out and use the idea of empathy to gain advantage, especially if they have no idea they're doing it. I think if I have to do it for real, then they should too.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:43 pm

Hey, sounds like you're at a healthier level of the NSS.

(my word, bird's a keeper :-P)
Lard, save me from your followers.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Unlimited_Oracular_Guidance

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:30 am

Cadmusteeth wrote:I have been listening to an audio book for people recovering from relationships with narcissists and psychopaths called "Psychopath Free" decided to do some research on how they operate on the net. This video is what I have found so far and it's very interesting.https://youtu.be/cgyd8YEKh80
From the description given, I would say that there is a high incidence of narcissism in people near the peak of their careers (myself included). Beyond that peak, most of us realize we were never anywhere near the top of our professions, and we begin to take comfort in the peace that comes with realizing how nice it is not to strive for distinction and honor any more, how really great it is that no one gives a damn how nicely we are dressed or how lean and mean our bodies are. The really pathetic ones are those who dye their hair or get hair implants, refuse to get off the stage and let others shine, and insist they still are the greatest. They are a major source of unhappiness among younger people, even those who aren't narcissistic, but would still like to have their time in a position of authority.
I don't know anything about quantum mechanics, but I know what I like.

Cadmusteeth
Frequent Poster

Post by Cadmusteeth » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:59 pm

I'm no expert on the subject but I can see what you're saying.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:21 pm

Cadmusteeth wrote:I'm no expert on the subject but I can see what you're saying.
I too am offering only the informal observations of a layperson. But there are numerous examples. I think my former profession of college teaching is particularly prone to attract narcissists. What a great opportunity to get up in front of a crowd of people who know less than you do and show off what you know! The very best teachers manage to be humble, allow the students to steer the discussion, and take themselves and what they know out of the picture. But I know SOOO many who are not among the best, preposterous popinjays. These are the ones of whom Napoleon said (referring to generals, but....) "They seldom die, and they never retire." Several of my colleagues held onto their tenured positions into their 80s, and for what reason? Their TIAA-CREF system had already made them multi-millionaires years earlier. As long as they were able to dodder into class using a GPS navigator, they kept going. Researchers they were, although the most recent discovery many of them made was a parking ticket the campus police left on their windshield year before last. And this is a reason for shutting out promising new young people who still know how to communicate with university-age students and have new and exciting approaches to their subject matter. I don't consider that I was a good teacher, but I did realize early on that my approach to teaching was increasingly incompatible with the students' approach to learning. I retired at age 60.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:30 pm

Wordbird wrote:https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/cond ... y-disorder

This pretty well describes me. I feel like I have more empathy than your average narcissist, but I've had to cultivate it. It's not even true empathy in that it's not automatic.

I don't care if people suffer. I never have. I can understand on an intellectual level that I ought to care, so I act like I do.

Don't misunderstand and conclude that this is some form of lying; I'll actually give up stuff to make someone else happy if I judge that I ought to do so. I won't cop-out because I'm trying to embody this behaviour, not fake it. For me it's just an entirely learned behaviour. I have no more instinct to do it than I have instinct to tap dance.

I do get particularly upset when the people with the empathy instinct are clearly trying to cop-out and use the idea of empathy to gain advantage, especially if they have no idea they're doing it. I think if I have to do it for real, then they should too.
Hey, if you learned good behavior and conscientiously practice it, you're a normal human being. There are saintly people like Francis of Assisi whose warm humanity had no dross to be refined out of it. But most of us are not up to that level. Civilization depends on our becoming socialized, and it sounds as if you got over that hurdle. That's why it's so shocking that we now have a President who hasn't even learned to SEEM to care. All Presidents are narcissists, but nearly all learned how to appear to be concerned for others. (For example, Bill "I feel your pain" Clinton.) Trump's followers are so goddamned blind or stupid that they'll take his mention of "Two Corinthians" as proof that he's really a born-again Christian.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:40 pm

They derive pleasure from the dismay of others at his antics. And seem like narcissists who haven't learned to coexist rationally...

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:42 pm

:scratch: ..but maybe they are as simple as FoA, who reportedly didn't give his wealth to the poor, but to the Catholic Crutch.

Wordbird
Poster

Post by Wordbird » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:19 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:They derive pleasure from the dismay of others at his antics.
I see the Trump supporters as the ones being dumped on disproportionately.

Everyone has this exclude reflex; the idea that if you believe the wrong thing, you're not worthy of empathy.

I never developed that one, and it gets me into a lot of trouble.

It's one of the things that burns my biscuits, actually. I see it as one of the ways the people with the empathy reflex just cop-out, probably without even realising they're doing it.

Are Trumpies selfish? Do they want what they want? Well no {!#%@}. It's not surprising that welfare queens vote for more welfare and the richest lobster-gobblers are voting for hands off their money bins.

Every last person is selfish. Every last vote is a selfish vote.

What I've seen about Trump supporters is that they're generally angry lower-class workers who are upset that the welfare class has more than they do.

Look, there's only so much pie, and everyone wants a bigger slice. To me, this means none of them are wrong, or all of them are.

I'd be very happy living in a world of other narcissists where self-interest is presumed. I think it would waste less energy as the mob collectively decides who the selfish one is and ostracises him so the rest of them can wallow in their own selfishness.

I feel like more often than not, "you're selfish" is just a dominance tool the loudest monkeys employ against the less dominant monkeys. They're all selfish. The ones that screech about selfishness are most so.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:53 pm

Wordbird wrote:...Look, there's only so much pie, and everyonewants a bigger slice. To me, this means none of them are wrong, or all of them are...
I don't think the pie has a limit that's not artificial. And not everyone necessarily wants a bigger, but many simply a fairer slice. I'd been talking about those who are not able to appreciate an other's achievement (or suffering). Especially if that other isn't of their tribe. Or color.

Someone once said something that rings very true to me: Not all who voted for Trump are racist. But all racists voted for Trump.

But you are right. There's too much inflexibility/intolerance and knee-jerk reaction going on these days. There are some studies out on the way many brains are set on both sides by now. (Of course there are more sides in general.) But maybe much of that is based on years and years of the openly acted on attitude by supporters and much of the GOP/Tea Party (McConnell in particular) of "The most important thing we can do is to make sure he does not succeed." when speaking of No. 44.

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:15 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
Wordbird wrote:...Look, there's only so much pie, and everyonewants a bigger slice. To me, this means none of them are wrong, or all of them are...
I don't think the pie has a limit that's not artificial. And not everyone necessarily wants a bigger, but many simply a fairer slice. I'd been talking about those who are not able to appreciate an other's achievement (or suffering). Especially if that other isn't of their tribe. Or color.

Someone once said something that rings very true to me: Not all who voted for Trump are racist. But all racists voted for Trump.

But you are right. There's too much inflexibility/intolerance and knee-jerk reaction going on these days. There are some studies out on the way many brains are set on both sides by now. (Of course there are more sides in general.) But maybe much of that is based on years and years of the openly acted on attitude by supporters and much of the GOP/Tea Party (McConnell in particular) of "The most important thing we can do is to make sure he does not succeed." when speaking of No. 44.
The paradigm of life as a zero-sum game is a false one. Simply stealing someone else's "pie" is unsustainable and not how societies are put together. Economies build and grow, despite the parasites who thumb their noses at synergy.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Wordbird
Poster

Post by Wordbird » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:02 am

The pie isn't a set amount. It represents each individual's standing in society.

"How much do I have compared to him? How much does he have compared to me? Why?"

No, it's not a zero-sum game. The pie can get bigger, which means that even if you only have a teeny-tiny slice, you get more.

And the pie has gotten bigger. Working class people have better stuff than ancient kings.

I would still rather be an ancient king than a worker today. I think almost anyone would.

It's not about how much stuff we have. It's about the idea that the other guy over there has more. If he works harder, most people will grumble and accept it. If he sits on ass because he's on welfare, or for some other reason, people are going to be upset. I'm not saying it's right, just that it is.

It's because humans don't seek more kilograms of pie. We want comparative success, not just twenty more grams of X. And there's a reason this is. Ultimately, it's about reproductive success, the one true commodity. The earth has some set carrying capacity of humans, and it's absolutely irrelevant how much pie you have. It's about how big your slice is. The most successful are going to be the ones who have a chance to be represented in the human species in the future, regardless of everyone getting more. Unless you get proportionately more, you still have less success, and evolutionarily, you're a loser.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:27 am

Wordbird wrote:The pie isn't a set amount. It represents each individual's standing in society.

"How much do I have compared to him? How much does he have compared to me? Why?"

No, it's not a zero-sum game. The pie can get bigger, which means that even if you only have a teeny-tiny slice, you get more.

And the pie has gotten bigger. Working class people have better stuff than ancient kings.

I would still rather be an ancient king than a worker today. I think almost anyone would.

It's not about how much stuff we have. It's about the idea that the other guy over there has more. If he works harder, most people will grumble and accept it. If he sits on ass because he's on welfare, or for some other reason, people are going to be upset. I'm not saying it's right, just that it is.

It's because humans don't seek more kilograms of pie. We want comparative success, not just twenty more grams of X. And there's a reason this is. Ultimately, it's about reproductive success, the one true commodity. The earth has some set carrying capacity of humans, and it's absolutely irrelevant how much pie you have. It's about how big your slice is. The most successful are going to be the ones who have a chance to be represented in the human species in the future, regardless of everyone getting more. Unless you get proportionately more, you still have less success, and evolutionarily, you're a loser.
Surely a shread of truth there for SOME, but certainly not ALL, or IMO even MOST. I don`t believe I have ever, in person, met and recognised it in anyone who fits your `human`, nor do I think I`d like to. I have met and worked with many who only wanted their dish of rice, and an occasional glass of sake. But then, there is Trump... and these asshats

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:26 am

TJrandom wrote:
Wordbird wrote: It's because humans don't seek more kilograms of pie. We want comparative success, not just twenty more grams of X. And there's a reason this is. Ultimately, it's about reproductive success, the one true commodity. The earth has some set carrying capacity of humans, and it's absolutely irrelevant how much pie you have. It's about how big your slice is. The most successful are going to be the ones who have a chance to be represented in the human species in the future, regardless of everyone getting more. Unless you get proportionately more, you still have less success, and evolutionarily, you're a loser.
Surely a shread of truth there for SOME, but certainly not ALL, or IMO even MOST. I don`t believe I have ever, in person, met and recognised it in anyone who fits your `human`, nor do I think I`d like to. I have met and worked with many who only wanted their dish of rice, and an occasional glass of sake. But then, there is Trump... and these asshats
Yes, at least some people do fit Wordbird's description. I wouldn't use "we" to describe those people, but they are real, and they are the basis for cynical aphorisms like "It's not enough merely to succeed. All one's best friends have to fail." (Woody Allen? Oscar Wilde? I don't know, and I don't have time to look it up at the moment.)

Disgusting though such people are, I'm concerned to combat them only as they affect the tax base by moving their money to places where it can't be taxed, as in the New Yorker article TJRandom linked to, and when their insane belief that they have inherited the earth leads them to ravage the environment, denying their own grandchildren the enjoyment of its beauty.

As for their personal enjoyment of luxury, they are the biggest fools in history. There's an old Chinese proverb (probably not authentic) that appeared in my home-town newspaper back in 1957, when I was a teenager. It says, "Even from the largest river in the world, you can drink only what your stomach will hold." Thoreau, whom I read avidly back then (not so much now, as I have come to realize what a neurotic the man was), said, "Superfluous wealth can buy superfluities only." And that's the point: These people don't own their vast wealth; it owns them. Every race horse and yacht a person buys has to be "used" in order to bring any benefit to one's life. A life spent in mad pursuit of one luxury after another is meaningless. Nobody can convince me that Trump is a happy man; a happy man is not so full of spite and vindictiveness that he goes into insane rages when anybody thwarts him or refuses to admire him or cringe before him.

In any case, the future doesn't belong to anyone. The future is going to bring individual death to each of us and extinction to the human race. Concentrate on the present if you want to be happy. It's all any of us "has." A great Christian writer, CS Lewis once wrote that "mellontolatry, the worship of the future, is a fuddled religion."

It may seem paradoxical that one cares enough about the future to try to preserve the environment for posterity and to ameliorate the lot of the poor, since we are all going to die anyway, and the race is going to go extinct. I think that view reflects an inaccurate value judgment. We are all going to die, but still nearly everybody tries to avoid dying at any particular moment, until the end appears to be imminent. It is a mistake to think that the good has to be eternal in order to be truly good. Thomas Gray wrote that "The paths of glory lead but to the grave." But I don't know any paths that lead anywhere else. That doesn't make life futile. An evil that is coming in the future is not a present evil and need not interfere with enjoying life at the present moment. In any case, we are so constructed that we do care what happens to our children and grandchildren, and we do what we can to make their lives better.

As for great-grandchildren, some get them. I don't expect to see any, and I don't particularly want to see them. I never saw any of my great-grandparents and none of them ever saw me; none of us felt deprived by that circumstance. With our posterity, as with our bodies, we should take a reasonable amount of care to ensure their well-being and not waste effort trying to control the future completely. As this thread is about narcissism, I wonder how a true narcissist looks at old age and death. If one's own self and the adulation of others are the only things that matter, these must be a terrifying prospect.

Cadmusteeth
Frequent Poster

Post by Cadmusteeth » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:29 pm

I watched a video taking about that very thing and it said that narcissists tend to start lashing out at others when they loose the means to accuire what is called "narcissistic supply". (Such as their good looks)

Cadmusteeth
Frequent Poster

Post by Cadmusteeth » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:34 pm

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:35 pm

Cadmusteeth wrote:I watched a video taking about that very thing and it said that narcissists tend to start lashing out at others when they loose the means to accuire what is called "narcissistic supply". (Such as their good looks)
Remember that obnoxious nerd that nobody liked in school?
Many of today's narcissists are those guys out for revenge.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Wordbird
Poster

Post by Wordbird » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:16 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote:As for their personal enjoyment of luxury, they are the biggest fools in history. There's an old Chinese proverb (probably not authentic) that appeared in my home-town newspaper back in 1957, when I was a teenager. It says, "Even from the largest river in the world, you can drink only what your stomach will hold." Thoreau, whom I read avidly back then (not so much now, as I have come to realize what a neurotic the man was), said, "Superfluous wealth can buy superfluities only." And that's the point: These people don't own their vast wealth; it owns them. Every race horse and yacht a person buys has to be "used" in order to bring any benefit to one's life. A life spent in mad pursuit of one luxury after another is meaningless.
It's not about luxury. It's about comparative success. All these things are used as status symbols, and they work in that they increase status. The holding chamber for status is not stomach-sized; it's infinitely large. It holds infinite rivers. These people would only be illogical if no one else was on the planet to witness their status.

Ultimately, comparative success is about access to breeding opportunities.

These rich people can have as many children as they want, though some choose not to.

The welfare class can have as many children as they want.

The only class that's limited and often can't afford children at all is the working class. They're angry, and they vote for Trump. I don't blame them one bit.
TJrandom wrote:Surely a shread of truth there for SOME, but certainly not ALL, or IMO even MOST. I don`t believe I have ever, in person, met and recognised it in anyone who fits your `human`, nor do I think I`d like to.
Maybe I'm just cynical, but I think if a study was ever done on whether people act based on objective or comparative success, you'd be surprised. I'm thinking in the general direction of a stack of basic puzzles that participants solve, and after a certain amount solved in a certain time (the rub is that they're all going to get a buttload of time) they're rated at 100%. But the experimental group can see how many puzzles others have solved (these others won't actually exist) and the numbers keep going up over 100%, though they don't actually get any more rating. See if it makes the subjects go beyond 100%. I bet it will.
Cadmusteeth wrote:I watched a video taking about that very thing and it said that narcissists tend to start lashing out at others when they loose the means to accuire what is called "narcissistic supply". (Such as their good looks)
Yep, this is me. I happen to actually be extremely intelligent but it's absolutely worthless to me if I'm not told so.

And as much as I reexamine this, it doesn't seem unhealthy to me, or at least it doesn't seem factually incorrect to me.

Peoples' recognition means something. Most of the time, it means everything. If someone took my IQ test, in which I had "earned" a score of 160, and they wrote down 80, then my IQ would be 80.

I defy any of you to give me an example wherein a person is not between you and some achievement. (Best would be one that does not involve you alone on a deserted island.) If you think up the best invention in the world, and no one will build it, so you build it yourself, and then no one will buy it, you've invented nothing.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:03 pm

I don`t dispute that people observe others, harbour jealousy, and get satisfaction out of seeing that they are better off than another - but believe that it is a rare individual who takes action upon the observation. Most work to their ability and the opportunities presented, and to the degree that they are able to eat and live a semi-comfortable life, simply accept their situation. Very few people have figured out how to scam the system and society, and fewer still who would act upon that knowledge.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:32 am

TJrandom wrote:I don`t dispute that people observe others, harbour jealousy, and get satisfaction out of seeing that they are better off than another - but believe that it is a rare individual who takes action upon the observation. Most work to their ability and the opportunities presented, and to the degree that they are able to eat and live a semi-comfortable life, simply accept their situation. Very few people have figured out how to scam the system and society, and fewer still who would act upon that knowledge.
I absolutely agree. And I don't understand why people would beat up on themselves because they don't feel spontaneously inclined toward socially approved behavior. No need to do that. Human beings, except for a few sociopaths (Donald Trump being the best example), are hard-wired to want both approval and affection from others. This behavior is trained into us at an early age, and most of us learn to control our impulses by the time we are adults. (Off-topic: THIS is the true source of human morality, not some arbitrary set of taboos in an old book.) Society has many levels of discipline to enforce its morality, ranging from the curled lip of contempt on the part of the person one has offended, to more serious social ostracism, and in the extreme cases prison and SWAT teams. (Off-topic, again: The notion that religious observance plays a vital role in this process is supported only weakly, at best. I recently watched a documentary on Chernobyl, in which the interviewer, trying to get information on the cause of the disaster, encountered an old Soviet bureaucrat who refused to address the question. Instead, he began ranting that all of Stalin's alleged crimes were a myth, that Stalin COULDN'T have done such things, because he nearly took Holy Orders.)

I'm glad this thread is here. It reveals to me just how large a role is played in society by narcissism, and that some professions are more prone to narcissism than others, among them the clergy, actors, professors, musicians, writers,...anybody whose job involves drawing attention to oneself. Other professions, such as mechanics, plumbers, electricians, trash collecting, and the like must look elsewhere to satisfy their narcissistic impulses. All this was summarized in my social studies class when I was 13 years old. We were told that our social needs were "the three A's": Affection (from at least some of those nearest to us), acceptance (by our neighbors and co-workers as "one of us"), and achievement (satisfaction in doing a job well, probably based on the judgment of others). Each of those three is rooted in narcissism, I think. Narcissism itself isn't intrinsically bad; only the exaggerated form that we see in people like Trump is a real problem. Narcissism gives us impulses; but so does sex, and yet most of us manage to keep our sexual behavior within acceptable social norms without feeling too thwarted.

I end this post by saying once again: One shouldn't obsess over having narcissistic impulses, any more than having sexual impulses. Impulses are like birds flying around your head. They are going to be there; it's sufficient that you don't allow them to build nests in your hair.

Wordbird
Poster

Post by Wordbird » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:21 am

TJrandom wrote:I don`t dispute that people observe others, harbour jealousy, and get satisfaction out of seeing that they are better off than another - but believe that it is a rare individual who takes action upon the observation. Most work to their ability and the opportunities presented, and to the degree that they are able to eat and live a semi-comfortable life, simply accept their situation. Very few people have figured out how to scam the system and society, and fewer still who would act upon that knowledge.
I don't think it matters how few these cheaters are. I think it's more but I won't quibble.

The thing that makes the difference is that the cheaters are allowed to win. However many there are, next generation, there will be more.
Upton_O_Goode wrote:One shouldn't obsess over having narcissistic impulses, any more than having sexual impulses. Impulses are like birds flying around your head. They are going to be there; it's sufficient that you don't allow them to build nests in your hair.
I have quite a lot of those nests in my hair. I don't always curb my narcissism because everyone else is allowed to feel what they feel, and act on it too, unless it's wrong. Therefore if I can't find anything wrong, I insist that I'm allowed to have my feelings - even act on them - as well.

Yes, my primary drive is obtaining narcissistic supply. This is what it's called when I do it, and one of those three A's is what it's called when a normal person does it. If you can find something wrong with the fact that my nose points toward narcissistic supply, a businessman's toward money, and Toucan Sam's finds fruit loops, I want to hear it and maybe I'll change how I act.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:24 am

Wordbird wrote: I have quite a lot of those nests in my hair. I don't always curb my narcissism because everyone else is allowed to feel what they feel, and act on it too, unless it's wrong. Therefore if I can't find anything wrong, I insist that I'm allowed to have my feelings - even act on them - as well.

Yes, my primary drive is obtaining narcissistic supply. This is what it's called when I do it, and one of those three A's is what it's called when a normal person does it. If you can find something wrong with the fact that my nose points toward narcissistic supply, a businessman's toward money, and Toucan Sam's finds fruit loops, I want to hear it and maybe I'll change how I act.
I'm not interested in reforming you, Wordbird. This board is not a group therapy session. We all make our choices and we live with them. I don't know you, don't know where you live, and don't care if we never meet. But I'll confess I'm rapidly losing interest in your posts.

Wordbird
Poster

Post by Wordbird » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:34 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote:But I'll confess I'm rapidly losing interest in your posts.
Hmm. I'll just have to try harder, then. Instead of merely talking about narcissism, I will now be more lyrical.

There once was a man who was proud,
And he follied to say so aloud.
He was met with great shame,
And it ruined his name,
And he had to start wearing a shroud.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:54 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote:This board is not a group therapy session.
I have 30,000+ posts that say otherwise! :P
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:38 am

Gord wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:This board is not a group therapy session.
I have 30,000+ posts that say otherwise! :P
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:39 am

Wordbird wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:But I'll confess I'm rapidly losing interest in your posts.
Hmm. I'll just have to try harder, then. Instead of merely talking about narcissism, I will now be more lyrical.

There once was a man who was proud,
And he follied to say so aloud.
He was met with great shame,
And it ruined his name,
And he had to start wearing a shroud.
OK, that held my interest. :D

I wonder how many limericks this board contains....

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:50 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote: ... I wonder how many limericks this board contains....
Somewhere there is a thread for those....

There once was a thread for limericks,
Skeptics all posted Those dicks,
At those whose thinking was {!#%@},
We challenge their views,
And ignore those whose posts all suck.

Wordbird
Poster

Post by Wordbird » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:41 pm

With a skeptic, a girl made a tiff,
She told him and told him that if,
The skeptic walked further,
He'd be a flat earther,
...Then he tumbled straight over the cliff.

I know what's coming, Gord! Farther didn't rhyme! So there!

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:59 am

No, I'm good with "further". It's meant for metaphorical distance rather than physical distance, but I can read your sentence as a metaphor.
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:58 am

There once was a man from Japan,
Who wrote poems that rhyme, but don't scan.
When told this was so,
He said "Yes, I know,
But I always try to put as many words into the last line as I possibly can."
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:39 pm

Wordbird wrote:With a skeptic, a girl made a tiff,
She told him and told him that if,
The skeptic walked further,
He'd be a flat earther,
...Then he tumbled straight over the cliff.

I know what's coming, Gord! Farther didn't rhyme! So there!
A dolphin once sang at the Met,
Till he got the soprano all wet.
He sang "Vesti la giubba"
Off the coast of Cuba,
And hasn't been heard from, as yet.

(Adapted from Walt Disney's "Willie the Whale")