MonsterTalk #041 - The Big Bad Wolf

Talk, debate, discussion, observations, etc... regarding episodes of MonsterTalk.
Cthulhu

MonsterTalk #041 - The Big Bad Wolf

Postby Cthulhu » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:37 pm

Excellent episode. The beast of Gévaudan is certainly a fascinating topic, cryptozoologically, politically, and in terms of the folklore.

One point that people might be interesting in exploring: The much later theory that the killings were committed by a serial killer is not as quite of out-of-left-field as it may initially sound. As was touched on in the episode in the 1890s France was dealing its first serial killers, and it's worth mentioning that the first of them, Joseph Vacher, preferred to kill and mutilate child shepherds. In other words, his crimes happened to mirror the events of Gévaudan. It probably wasn't a complete coincidence, if only because child shepherds were easy targets for predators, human or animal. Still, Vacher was such a media sensation that anyone looking back from his time would be hard pressed not to equate his killings with the earlier ones in Gévaudan. There was a fairly recent book on Vacher called "The Killer of Little Shepherds" by Douglas Starr that's well worth reading.

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Re: MonsterTalk #041 - The Big Bad Wolf

Postby Austin Harper » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:55 pm

Great timing on this episode! I just got Brotherhood of the Wolf (Le Pacte des loups) in from Netflix yesterday but I haven't had a chance to rewatch the movie yet.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:25 am

I love "Twilight" movies, they make our wolves even more interesting to kids. And the movies ain't got squat on three dozen live wolves howling 100 yards away in the darkness.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

busterggi
Regular Poster
Custom Title: General Weirdness

Postby busterggi » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Hot Puppies! Hope I can get a connection tonight so I can download it.

treelobsters

Postby treelobsters » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:55 pm

I managed to dig up the meaning of the word "garou". Apparently it means "werewolf" (garou -> garoul -> garulph -> gar/war/wer "man" + ulph/wlf "wolf."). So, "loup-garou" literally means "wolf-werewolf". ref: http://www.etymonline.com/wolf.php

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:49 pm

Thanks for looking into that. If you are intersested in etymology, I suggest the Online Etymology Dictionary. It doesn't have an entry for garou because it only has English words, but there is some discussion of the French loup-garou on the Wolf and Werewolf page.
EtymOnline wrote:French loup-garou is a redundancy: "wolf-man-wolf." The garou (O.Fr. garoul) is cognate with the garulph, gerulphos in Norman versions of the word, which breaks down to gar/war/wer "man" and ulph/wlf "wolf." It seems to have been an attempt to wrestle O.H.G. *werawolf or its Frankish equivalent into the Gallic/Romanic sound system of the French tongue. But the French now use garou to mean any kind of were-transformation: chien-garou (changing into a dog) chat-garou, etc.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:05 pm

Cthulhu wrote:There was a fairly recent book on Vacher called "The Killer of Little Shepherds" by Douglas Starr that's well worth reading.

I just read it, it was quite good. There was an amazing amount of detail presented. The book is also about the birth of modern forensics. It compares the older technique of arresting someone and holding them until they confess with the newer one of collecting evidence by examining the crime scenes, interviewing witnesses, and autopsying the bodies. In at least two cases, local individuals were accused of having committed Vacher's crimes, and were hounded by others in their communities. Sometimes people had to flee their districts to avoid being attacked and possibly killed. Even after it was proven that Vacher had committed the crimes, the families of some victims refused to believe it hadn't been the local individuals they had accused.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Return to “Episode Discussions”