MonsterTalk #023 - Just Scratching The Surface

Talk, debate, discussion, observations, etc... regarding episodes of MonsterTalk.
DoctorAtlantis
Poster
Custom Title: KSOFM

MonsterTalk #023 - Just Scratching The Surface

Postby DoctorAtlantis » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:56 am

IN THIS EPISODE we get under the skin of the chupacabra legend, and find out more about the lice that cause the hairless canids the media loves so much. It’s okay to scratch — but don’t skip this episode! Once you get past the disgust factor, there is some amazing science going in parasitology. Our guide into this fascinating world is acarologist Dr. Barry O’Connor, of the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology and the Museum of Zoology, University of Michigan.

Topics include:

What is acarology?
The origin of mange & scabies
The difference between the two diseases
Why does mange cause hair loss?
Why does mange cause death?
What is the life cycle of a mite?
What is the evolutionary origin of dust mites?
Why does the media get excited by hairless animals?

Music
Intro music by David Beard

Monstertalk Theme: Monster by Peach Stealing Monkeys

The views expressed on this program are not necessarily the views of the Skeptics Society or Skeptic magazine.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: MonsterTalk #023 - Just Scratching The Surface

Postby Gord » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:09 pm

DoctorAtlantis wrote:Why does the media get excited by hairless animals?

Because the media, as a collective, has the IQ of a dog. And not a very smart dog, either. We're talkin', one of those dogs that runs into screen doors, and gets excited when it farts.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

busterggi
Regular Poster
Custom Title: General Weirdness

Postby busterggi » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:18 pm

Great, like I needed more itching - thebed bugs at work weren't enough.

But I will be using the info, w/ attribution, Dr. O'Conner gave on dust mites for an article in our asthma newsletter.

Brian

Postby Brian » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:30 pm

Enjoyed the episode . . . and with hardly an itch! I had an allergy to dust mites (as do many folks apparently), so that segment was of particular interest. My allergist, at least, understood that it was dust mite feces and not dust itself that had caused my problem--and three years of allergy shots helped me get over it. I think Karen's question about a possible relation between chicken pox & scabies (there is none) might have been due to confusion with the actual relationship between having chicken pox as a child and the potential for shingles as an adult. Belated congratulations on your first very successful year of podcasts!!
Brian Engler

In our civilization, and under our republican form of government, intelligence is so highly honored that it is rewarded by exemption from the cares of office.
Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Return to “Episode Discussions”