MonsterTalk #019 - Cthulhu Rises

Talk, debate, discussion, observations, etc... regarding episodes of MonsterTalk.
DoctorAtlantis
Poster
Custom Title: KSOFM

MonsterTalk #019 - Cthulhu Rises

Postby DoctorAtlantis » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:05 am

That is not dead which can eternal lie And with strange aeons even death may die.

—H.P. Lovecraft,
The Call of Cthulhu

(The official show notes has pictures)

The literary work of Howard Phillips Lovecraft is dark and macabre. It casts a long shadow in American Literature, influencing such writers as Rod Serling, Steven King, Bob Howard, Robert Bloch, and many others. In his stories he wove a tapestry of mad alien gods and unspeakable horrors and the insignificance of man. And of a mountainous evil that sleeps in the ocean, worshipped by mad cults and known only as … Cthulhu.

In this episode

Robert M. Price, a noted Lovecraft scholar, discusses:
[*]The life of H.P. Lovecraft
[*]The history of the Cthulhu Mythos
[*]Lovecraft’s philosophy, religious beliefs and racism
[*]The cultural impact of Lovecraft’s work

We then interview biologist PZ Myers about Cthulhu’s biological inspiration, discussing the weird alien biology and physiology of cephalopods.

PZ Myers
Links of interest

More on PZ Myers’ favorite monster
Robert M. Price’s interview of ST Joshi on Point of Inquiry
Quirks and Quarks on the evolution of Cephalopod pseudopods: http://www.cbc.ca/quirks/archives/09-10/qq-2010-05-29.html

Music
Monstertalk Theme: Monster
by Peach Stealing Monkeys
Intro Music: Death by 1000psi

Robert W. Price
Interstitial Music: Goblin Dreams A.R. Morgan
Outro Music: Hey There Cthulhu by The Eben Brooks Band and used by special permission.

busterggi
Regular Poster
Custom Title: General Weirdness

Re: MonsterTalk #019 - Cthulhu Rises

Postby busterggi » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:58 pm

I miss those NecronomiCons held in Providence RI & Beverly MA!

If you can, get Bob Price to give you a transcript of the Cthulhu Prayer Breakfast sermon from N2 in '95 - best honest look at religion evah!

DoctorAtlantis
Poster

Postby DoctorAtlantis » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:02 pm

busterggi wrote:I miss those NecronomiCons held in Providence RI & Beverly MA!

If you can, get Bob Price to give you a transcript of the Cthulhu Prayer Breakfast sermon from N2 in '95 - best honest look at religion evah!

Were you there? I envy you. This would've been right up my alley.

Durnett

Postby Durnett » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:34 pm

Help! Robert Price was going too fast! Can you post a bibliography of the influences and contemporaries of Lovecraft? I know Poe, but I'm not familiar with the other authors that were mentioned.

DoctorAtlantis
Poster

Postby DoctorAtlantis » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:40 pm

Durnett wrote:Help! Robert Price was going too fast! Can you post a bibliography of the influences and contemporaries of Lovecraft? I know Poe, but I'm not familiar with the other authors that were mentioned.

Lord Dusany
Arthur Machen
E A Poe
E. R. Burroughs

Barnes & Noble publishes a book called HP Lovecraft's Book of Horrors which contains many tales Lovecraft cited as influential as well.
http://www.amazon.com/H-P-Lovecrafts-Book-Horror-H-P-Lovecraft/dp/1854872311

Hope that helps!

Durnett

Postby Durnett » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:42 pm

Thanks! I was having trouble with Machen. For some reason he kept mackin'.

:)

Skulleigh

Postby Skulleigh » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:20 am

I wanted to say I really enjoyed the last two episodes, and that this one in particular has me interested in finally reading Lovecraft. I've actually never read any of it, but have heard a lot about it since it influences so much other work.

An anecdote regarding the Necronomicon paperback - back in the mid-nineties, I worked in a bookstore. We filed the Necronomicon in the fiction section, but had to do near daily battle with the freaks who thought it was real and kept taking it upon themselves to move it to the Occult section. For the most part though, I suppose there's not much difference in either set of shelves. :)

spookyparadigm

Postby spookyparadigm » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:31 pm

So was this inspired by my Bloop suggestion? (I haven't listened yet)

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=12631

Speaking of biology, the latest post on my Miskatonic Museum (similar philosophy to Monster Talk, using the fun to explore the science and history) blog might be of interest, regarding the transition from sea to land

http://miskatonicmuseum.blogspot.com/

busterggi
Regular Poster

Postby busterggi » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:03 pm

spookyparadigm wrote:So was this inspired by my Bloop suggestion? (I haven't listened yet)

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=12631

Speaking of biology, the latest post on my Miskatonic Museum (similar philosophy to Monster Talk, using the fun to explore the science and history) blog might be of interest, regarding the transition from sea to land

http://miskatonicmuseum.blogspot.com/

Thanks for what looks to be an interesting blog!

DoctorAtlantis
Poster

Postby DoctorAtlantis » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:15 am

spookyparadigm wrote:So was this inspired by my Bloop suggestion? (I haven't listened yet)

No, but we're having Dr. Darren Naish on soon, and I thought he might be a good person to talk about the bloop.

busterggi
Regular Poster

Postby busterggi » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:17 pm

DoctorAtlantis wrote:

No, but we're having Dr. Darren Naish on soon, and I thought he might be a good person to talk about the bloop.

No matter what he talks about it will be good, loved his blog long before it switched to SB.

ShawnM

Postby ShawnM » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:40 pm

Near the end of the interview, you talk about movies that you liked based upon H.P. Lovecraft and mentioned several.

However, my wife and I both immediately said "Cast a Deadly Spell". While not quite Lovecraftian, I think that it is a good homage. The main character is named Phil Lovecraft, there's a bar named "The Dunwich Room" and there's even an appearance by Yog-Sothoth near the end.

If you ever see it in the bargain bin at your local video store, I'd suggest picking it up. :)

DoctorAtlantis
Poster

Postby DoctorAtlantis » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:21 am

I loved "Cast a Deadly Spell" - but if I remember correctly wasn't it a made-for-cable film starring Fred Ward? It did follow those themes pretty well; I got a kick out of it.

ShawnM

Postby ShawnM » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:48 pm

Yep, that's the one. It was made for HBO, but I was able to pick up a VHS copy of it for $1 when the local video store went out of business a couple of months ago. Yes, I do still have a VHS player...
There was a sequel made starring Dennis Hopper that wasn't nearly as much fun.

Return to “Episode Discussions”