Neoconservative Immigration Policies...

Talk, debate, discussion, observations, etc... regarding episodes of MonsterTalk.
Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5499
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Neoconservative Immigration Policies...

Post by Tom Palven » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:27 am

Trump's neoconservative immigration policies- The double-edged sword:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1L51N9
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

User avatar
ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4356
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:21 pm
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Re: Neoconservative Immigration Policies...

Post by ElectricMonk » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:20 pm

Tom Palven wrote:Trump's neoconservative immigration policies- The double-edged sword:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1L51N9
unfortunately, this is nothing new. It is also utterly disgraceful.

It seems that many conservatives want a Japan-like immigration policy (i.e. you don't get in, fullstop).

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9834
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.

Re: Neoconservative Immigration Policies...

Post by TJrandom » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:37 pm

Japan isn`t that bad. Somewhat less than 2% of our population are foreigners. But it is true that our immigration policies are quite restrictive and are supported by our geographic isolation - it being rather hard to swim here.

I see that only one out of a thousand refugee applicants have been accepted here.

User avatar
ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4356
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:21 pm
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Re: Neoconservative Immigration Policies...

Post by ElectricMonk » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:25 pm

I always assumed that Japan would pay dearly for closing itself off. Lacking immigration, it is shrinking in population, which in turn is aging. GDP growth is very small.
But the curious net effect is that GDP per Capita is growing, making life on average better for its citizens.

Japan is probably a template for what Europe will see in 20 years, and the US in 40 (unless Trump gets a second term that is).

HenryJr
New Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:01 am

Re: Neoconservative Immigration Policies...

Post by HenryJr » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:30 am

I personally think that there should be a strict policy for immigrants, look at some of the countries which are facing major crisis because of the overflow of immigrants like Uk, US and Pakistan.

User avatar
ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4356
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:21 pm
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Re: Neoconservative Immigration Policies...

Post by ElectricMonk » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:27 am

HenryJr wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:30 am
I personally think that there should be a strict policy for immigrants, look at some of the countries which are facing major crisis because of the overflow of immigrants like Uk, US and Pakistan.
Are you equally concerned with restricting the global flow of capital ?

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9834
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.

Re: Neoconservative Immigration Policies...

Post by TJrandom » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:09 am

HenryJr wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:30 am
I personally think that there should be a strict policy for immigrants, look at some of the countries which are facing major crisis because of the overflow of immigrants like Uk, US and Pakistan.
The US is hardly facing a major crisis because of an overflow of immigrants. IMO, the only immigration related crisis the US faces is that of misinformation and down right lies. But if you have supporting information for the crisis, please do share it.

HenryJr
New Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:01 am

Re: Neoconservative Immigration Policies...

Post by HenryJr » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:57 am

TJrandom wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:09 am
HenryJr wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:30 am
I personally think that there should be a strict policy for immigrants, look at some of the countries which are facing major crisis because of the overflow of immigrants like Uk, US and Pakistan.
The US is hardly facing a major crisis because of an overflow of immigrants. IMO, the only immigration related crisis the US faces is that of misinformation and down right lies. But if you have supporting information for the crisis, please do share it.
How about the security issue of these countries. The security agencies are always on the high alert because people keep crossing borders illegally and no one know how many terrorist infiltrate through this way.

HenryJr
New Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:01 am

Re: Neoconservative Immigration Policies...

Post by HenryJr » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:00 am

ElectricMonk wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:27 am
HenryJr wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:30 am
I personally think that there should be a strict policy for immigrants, look at some of the countries which are facing major crisis because of the overflow of immigrants like Uk, US and Pakistan.
Are you equally concerned with restricting the global flow of capital ?
Capital flow is always beneficial, I am more concern in the security of a country and human trafficking.

User avatar
ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4356
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:21 pm
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Re: Neoconservative Immigration Policies...

Post by ElectricMonk » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:30 am

Sorry Henry, but that is BS: if you force other countries to let into their markets what you have most (capital), but don't let into your country what they have most (labor), exploitation is the unavoidable effect.
If you don't like migration but want to have a just global economy, you have to let countries regulate the flow of money into and out of their countries.