History of Monsters

RubyHypatia
Frequent Poster

History of Monsters

Postby RubyHypatia » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:56 am

I just read an interesting article about the history of monsters in the August issue of Realms of Fantasy magazine. My sister-in-law gave a bunch of these magazines to my daughter, and they caught my attention. I just love reading about the history behind mythologies. It's good that we don't live in fear of these imagined creatures like our ancestors did. It was bad enough being a child scared of monsters.

geology rocks

Re: History of Monsters

Postby geology rocks » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:23 am

RubyHypatia wrote:It's good that we don't live in fear of these imagined creatures like our ancestors did. It was bad enough being a child scared of monsters.

It's unfortunate, but I think many people still believe in monsters. Big Pharma/Government conspiracies, etc. Seems like imaginary monsters to me.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:27 am

I'm extremely interested in mythology too, especially comparative mythology. My local public library is disappointingly flimsy in this section of its collection, but currently I am borrowing Beyond the blue horizon : myths and legends of the sun, moon, stars, and planets by E. C. Krupp, and I'm waiting for them to bring in Star tales Ian Ridpath. (They both deal with myths about the stars and constellations -- I hope.)
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:43 pm

geology rocks wrote:
RubyHypatia wrote:It's good that we don't live in fear of these imagined creatures like our ancestors did. It was bad enough being a child scared of monsters.

It's unfortunate, but I think many people still believe in monsters. Big Pharma/Government conspiracies, etc. Seems like imaginary monsters to me.

Well stated!

Yes, lots of people still believe in monsters. The traditional kind, such as Mokele Mbembe, and the less traditional kind, such as aliens that abduct people to perform experiments on humans.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

RubyHypatia
Frequent Poster

Postby RubyHypatia » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:50 pm

I just read an article on Vampires in one of those magazines, and learned an interesting fact. Vampires were the scapegoat when cause of death could not be determined. People kept dying in this one family and they suspected their dead mother. They exumed her body twice, the second time they just totally destroyed her corpse. Supposedly that did the trick. How horrible it must have been to think a dead relative was killing your living ones.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:24 am

There always was one group of people who would have had a vested interest in the promulgation of stories of creepy things in the woods.

Poachers.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:09 am

The notion that the nobility owned the land, and hence, poachers came long after the stories of creepy things in the woods.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

octopus1
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Deep Sea Mollusk

Postby octopus1 » Thu May 30, 2013 6:26 pm

Wide-Eyed Disneyfied Little Girl: "Daddy? Will you check under my bed for monsters?"
[All instances of 'r' should be pronounced as 'w' and god help her if they're not...]
Father: "Oh, honey, there's no such thing as monsters!"
[Beat]
Father: "But yes. Yes I will. Just let me get my shotgun..."

That was an excerpt from my latest crowd-pleaser - "The Eight-Year Old Child Who Is Initially Very Shy But Is Subsequently Not Concerned By The Thought Of Dancing Very Professionally, Very Stereotypically And Very Embarrassingly In Front Of Several People Who (If They Were Real Human Beings) Would Want To Beat The Holy Beejesus Out Of The Cocky Little Brat."

I know when I'm onto a winner... Image
"On the fence".... Without a cushion....

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Postby Daedalus » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:13 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:The notion that the nobility owned the land, and hence, poachers came long after the stories of creepy things in the woods.

Ain't that the truth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSTgVfsGi5I
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

Alexander941
Regular Poster
Custom Title: sublime God Emperor

Postby Alexander941 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:42 pm

Question: Did we ever find a creature of myth which was a real animal but got transformed into an evil bloodthirsty or supernatural beast?

I only know about these giant calmars which were found only recently to be real animals, anything else?

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:44 am

Maybe. There's a theory that the legend of Giants developed from the discovery of dinosaur bones.

octopus1
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Deep Sea Mollusk

Postby octopus1 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:22 am

Poodle wrote:Maybe. There's a theory that the legend of Giants developed from the discovery of dinosaur bones.

That makes sense. I hadn't heard of it, but it does gel together!

Everyone sees things "wrong" the first time around. That's why people are initially segregated into schools, where they may learn to think better.

Or not, as the case all too often appears to be!
"On the fence".... Without a cushion....

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Daedalus » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:36 pm

Alexander941 wrote:Question: Did we ever find a creature of myth which was a real animal but got transformed into an evil bloodthirsty or supernatural beast?

I only know about these giant calmars which were found only recently to be real animals, anything else?

That depends... if you mean "monsters" that turn out to exist as described, then you have giant and colossal squid, and maybe a few others.

If you mean misunderstood or poorly described "monsters" that are really something else, then there are a ton.
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

Alexander941
Regular Poster

Postby Alexander941 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:15 pm

I meantg the first.

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Daedalus » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:18 pm

Well then at one time probably most large cetaceans, sharks, mollusks, and fish, and a handful of birds like the Harpy Eagle. Gorillas and Baboons definitely were the subject of mythical treatment, and probably a handful of large snakes as well.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:05 pm

When all you've got to protect you from the megafauna predators is the light of a campfire, a bark hut and a pointy stick, pretty much anything would seem like a monster.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Alexander941
Regular Poster

Postby Alexander941 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:09 pm

Is that really so?

I think a Monster is something more vague, "unnatural", and hard to access if i can say so.

Predatory Animals, which are a danger for Humans or their livestock, dont have these attributes, they are far to often sighted, killed and fought to achieve such a status.

Yes, our anescestors saw some of these animals as something extraordinary, maybe with supernatural powers, but not similar to the Yeti, Bigfoot, the Jersey Devil, the Chupacabra,...

Return to “Monster Science”