Shuzi Qi - A new 'Power Balance' band in New Zealand

Ways and means of promoting skepticism
Old Snake

Shuzi Qi - A new 'Power Balance' band in New Zealand

Postby Old Snake » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:41 am

My friend recently came across a newly branded version of the 'Power Balance' bands, down here in New Zealand. We're both not very familiar with how to go about putting together research in order to show the erroneousness of the product's claims, etc. You can find the Shuzi Qi homepage here, and the 'research' page here. If anyone can spare some time to go over the website and give us some advice about how to critically analyse the product. I do have an idea of how and where to start, but I thought that I'd post a thread here and see what everyone here thinks.

Cheers,
Old Snake, a newbie to skeptical activism ;)

P.S. We're looking to put together information, os that we can put it forward to New Zealand's authority on these matters.
Please come check out my history blog, Parva Historia.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: Shuzi Qi - A new 'Power Balance' band in New Zealand

Postby Gord » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:49 am

Power Balance has been discussed before; here's one of those threads: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=12256
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Old Snake

Postby Old Snake » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:52 am

Thanks, I'll read through it for any possible nuggets. I have been following the Australian movement against it over the past couple years, but I wouldn't be sure about where to look for their past actions against Power Balance.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:34 am

Have you seen this? http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles/comment/powerbalance.htm

It warmed my heart cockles when I first read it. I think. Or did it? What the hell are cockles, anyway? And what are they doing in my heart??

...that's it, I'm going to bed!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:57 am

A "special bracelet" that a skeptic "cannot explain". Well, yes. But then skeptics cannot explain the sociology of fairy cities either. It's the stereotypical wooist challenge - "Prove me wrong". The point is that it is not incumbent upon any skeptic to do that. The manufacturers and distributors of a product bear the responsibility of proving that it DOES work. And the only way to do that is to test it in a controlled environment. Have they done that? No. Has any skeptic done that? Probably not, but why would any skeptic even think about that?

If you conducted a battery of tests (expensive), however, and proved beyond doubt that this product is made from genuine, unadulterated woo, you would still have to contend with the dickhead factor - "Ah, scientists don't know everything", "What do scientists know about the mysterious powers of the cosmos?", "Inner power is stronger than skepticism", etc. Such people probably get off lightly by losing a mere $60.

A cheaper way may be to ask about this "frequency interaction". If it's so effective, why don't people get fried when they stray too near to the walls of their houses which contain mains electrical wiring producing much stronger fields than a cheapo plastic bracelet?

Old Snake

Postby Old Snake » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:48 am

I wouldn't say that testing is needed at all. All that really needs to be done is to put some information together, showing that it's no different to Power Balance, then submit that information to [whatever the authority's name is in New Zealand]. Although, that's in order to attempt to screw the company over like the skepics over in Australia have done. Hmm... I wonder whether just appealing to the public would be more useful, though... :? Well, there's always the tried and tested method of trial and error. :D

Return to “Skeptical Activism”