Aerosol Planes

Ways and means of promoting skepticism
Ozone

Aerosol Planes

Postby Ozone » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:41 am

Dear Skeptic forums,
I have a question to ask. Someone recently showed me a pamphlet claiming that trails of vapor left by jet planes are actually caused by aerosols sprayed by the jets. It goes on to claim that this aerosol is responsible for assorted health issues, artificial weather, climate change, heavy metal contamination in groundwater and soil, and several other detrimental phenomena. Furthermore, it claims that this project is the result of an international conspiracy, aimed at using nano-technologically engineered particles to control everything from Earth's magnetic field to human behavior. Due to the sheer audacity of these completely unsupported claims, coupled with several logical inconsistencies (saying that these particles are meant to create a "sky shield" to block solar radiation and prevent global warming, then stating that the particles are responsible for global warming) immediately revealed that this was most likely written by somebody either jumping to conclusions, badly misinformed, or simply looking for something to blame NASA for. Upon further research, I discovered that a combination of the second and third explanations was most likely. I found a few articles they had obviously read and exploited. Misinterpreting a NASA website statement that levels of aerosols in the air have increased to mean intentionally sprayed aerosols, repeatedly misinterpreting the term "electromagnetic," and distorting NASA's statement that particulate matter in the air has caused whitening in the sky and a slight decrease in the amount of sunlight that reaches Earth's surface all may have played a role in the formulation of their strange conclusion. This person was also clearly a conspiracy theorist, as they claimed that HAARP (a research station that studies the Aurora Borealis and Earth's magnetic field) was a "secret military installation" and "may be responsible for so-called 'global warming.' " To read more of the claims made by this and associated articles, you can visit some of the websites cited by the pamphlet, including aboutthesky.com and iseelines.com.

Now, while I obviously don't believe this is all true, I can't help but notice that contrails left by jets, especially when there are many across the sky, spread out to form a blanket of vapor. If not an international conspiracy of aerosol-spraying jets, what causes this phenomenon? If anyone knows, please post what you know as a response to this topic. Thank you! :D

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Re: Aerosol Planes

Postby Monster » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:42 pm

Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:46 pm

A good old "I'm not feeling well, let's see what's happening around here" theory. One lady kept a very exactly diary of her symptoms, but only on days when she saw contrails.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:05 pm

Austin Harper wrote:Wingtip vortices are a natural formation in flight. Condensation is a natural byproduct from the combustion engines on airplanes. When the condensation is trapped by the vortices, you get long-lasting visible vortices. There is no reason to think anything else is happening.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:19 am

I'm going to leap ahead to the next question and just repost this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjZY0KufWao :lol:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Ozone

Postby Ozone » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:12 am

If I understand correctly, according to the wikipedia article Monster posted, the wispy layers of cloud and the contrails are both caused by cool temperatures and high moisture at high altitude, not one causing the other. Thank you for your responses!

RICH-ENGLAND
Poster

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:45 am

just to add a little logic on this subject, we need to take a closer look at what this conspiracy theory would entail in reality, first of all the amount of people needed to carry this out on a large scale would be huge, there would be the people at the top whos idea it was, then there would be the people supplying the chemicals, the people neede to modify the planes to enable this ability, the people to fill up the chemical tanks on the planes etc etc etc, then obviously the airlines etc would have to know about it because they would be employing the people filling the chemical tanks etc, so on a worldwide scale this would have to involve tens of thousands of people and they would all have to be complicit and keep silent...... just remember, only a few people were involved in watergate...... and one talked........

next up we would have to believe that the people who devised this plan and all the people involved are happy to poison the earth and put themselves, their families and their friends at risk......

to me, this conspiracy theory is one of the most ridiculous and ill thought up of the lot.

its contrails, nothing more, nothing less.

thanks

rich

perigee

Postby perigee » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:10 pm

I've always wondered what comes first. Is it the phenomenon or event that the individual fails to understand or fathom and then draws the conspiratorial conclusion, or is it the conspiratorial mindset that's always on the lookout for "confirming events?"

I can see (barely) how someone might get from point a to point b with the contrails phenomenon, concluding a government conspiracy - there is a certain logic to it, however tortured. But, how does someone arrive at conclusion where a rainbow off a sprinkler in the backyard is a government conspiracy? Why not conclude that a family of leprechauns have taken up residence in the back yard?

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:56 pm

I think you're onto something, perigee. I'd wager that most conspiracy theorists are predisposed to believe in crazy things and then find crazy things to believe.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

perigee

Postby perigee » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:28 am

Austin Harper wrote:I think you're onto something, perigee. I'd wager that most conspiracy theorists are predisposed to believe in crazy things and then find crazy things to believe.

That would be my guess as well, which is sort of disappointing. It would be far more interesting, for instance, if the crazy rainbow lady actually reasoned in that fashion. She discovers a rainbow in her backyard, is astonished by this finding, tries to make sense of it all, and out of all the possible explanations before her, she picks a government conspiracy as the most plausible answer.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:46 am

perigee wrote:She discovers a rainbow in her backyard, is astonished by this finding, tries to make sense of it all, and out of all the possible explanations before her, she picks a government conspiracy as the most plausible answer.

That's gotta be it.

She sees something weird, thinks it's a new phenomenon, and goes through her list of plausible reasons for such a thing:

1) Government conspiracy.
2) Leprechauns.
3) My mistake.
4) "...there's more than three? I was surprised to find more than one!"

It's sad that "government conspiracy" is in so many people's minds. Fight the paradigms, people!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

kota

Postby kota » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:44 am

I think these are all good thoughts. I would like to add that many conspiracy theorists believe implicitly that America is a meritocracy in foundation. Thus if they are not doing well in their lives, then something must be causing it. Michael Shermer talks about this kind of scapegoating in 'The Believing Brain." The local conspiracy theorists that I have talked to are convinced of the omnipotence and omniscience of our government. Thus is they are not getting what they want out of life, it has to be an outside force at work, and the government is the only organization that could oppress so many people. In relation to contrails, they take this as a sign that their knowledge and commitment to uncovering the truth about global cabals has led the worldwide conspiracy to strike back with poison chemicals to kill the dissenters. I often hear references to a global culling of the population to make control easier.
The idea that these individuals have secret knowledge, and understand the oppression holding them back, makes them feel important and justifies their failure to thrive in our culture.
So theorists enjoy feeling special in some way. Who does not enjoy feeling special?

Return to “Skeptical Activism”