March for Myths 2011 (Windsor, Ontario Canada)

Ways and means of promoting skepticism
CurrieJean

March for Myths 2011 (Windsor, Ontario Canada)

Postby CurrieJean » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:55 pm

Hello, everyone! I've been paying attention to the skeptical community for years now, though I've been generally laying low, since I didn't have anything terribly original to share. That has now changed, so here I am!

August 20th was the day of Windsor, Ontario's big honkin' March for Jesus. For the third year in a row, I brought some friends along for the atheist March for Myths. We followed alongside the parade and spent hours debating with groups of Christians afterward, just outside their open-air religious service.

Click for a written summary of the event with pictures.

All in all, this was very much worth the effort. Because of the overwhelmingly positive response (people from several different cities in Ontario wished they'd known about it beforehand), I expect the March for Myths to be much bigger next year.

If anyone has any suggestions for our approach to next year's march, please share. Constructive criticism would be much appreciated.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: March for Myths 2011 (Windsor, Ontario Canada)

Postby Gord » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:59 am

I do think the majority of these people have been limited, and in some cases brainwashed, by their environments. Some are more susceptible to it than others, of course, but regardless of temperament (some were jerks, some were kind), the ignorance was staggering. Only a few people understood the content of Bible, basic history, basic science or basic reasoning.

... And there we have it. To some, what I wrote might come off as mean. My intent was to tell as much of the truth as my memory allowed; if that makes some people look bad, so be it.

Awesome.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Return to “Skeptical Activism”