Breatharianism

Ways and means of promoting skepticism
Chico3576

Breatharianism

Postby Chico3576 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:52 pm

Hello folks. I'm new here and I've been researching into this new age trend called "Breatharianism", first introduced to the world in the early 1980s by Wiley Brooks and more recently by Ellen "Jasmuheen" Greve from Australia. I'm deeply concerned about this as I've noticed that more and more people have been attempting at the impossible, which is, living without food and sometimes water. I've read forums of these so-called breatharians and it's quite shocking what you will find there. They share their weird experiences in trying to live on light and air alone. Most of them say that they can usually conduct lengthy water or juice fasts with no damage to their health whatsoever and even feel more energetic and stronger after that, because by being freed from the necessity of food and sometimes water they can deeply connect themselves with their inner self, God, The Grand Spirit, the cosmos etc etc etc; or they can live on very little food like some cups of coffee, herbal teas or a chocolate bite now and then. They are very articulate in their arguments and somebody who is not rational enough is likely to take the bait. Some "more experienced" on breatharianism even advise people on how to achieve this "feat". There are some claims of people who supposedly have successfully done the 21 day process advocated by "Jasmuheen" in her books and lectures to become a breatharian. Some others across the world also have been trying to do so. For those who have failed this process it's said that one has to be spiritualised enough to be successful. In other words, they have managed to bring together a kind of "healthy diet", by saying that food is toxic, and we can get all the required nutrients we need for survival solely from sunlight and air, with spiritual teachings. While there's no scientific evidence to support their claims, these people keep on trying to achieve something which in my opinion is virtually impossible. I'd like to have the opinion of some of you here on this subject which is becoming spread all around the world. Just google "breatharianism" and you will find countless websites and forums on the matter. Have these people gone out of their minds? Thank you very much for your kind attention. Greetings from Brazil :]

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: Breatharianism

Postby Gord » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:39 am

Everyone's crazy to some degree. Breatharians are just people crazy enough to be breatharians. Sure, they have to lie to "prove" how spiritual they are, but that's just proof that spiritualism is hokum.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:00 pm

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:05 pm

Guess I'm Breatharian, too:
I never eat anything but air in-between meals.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:40 pm

actually it seems the more evolved you are the less food you need ...many saints ate and slept very little ...they didn't need it......Robert Monroe who taught people to travel out of body asked to meet the most highly evolved human in a body on Earth...it was an androgynous type of person who was teaching at a university....he had lived for thousands of years, had many jobs, and said he gave up eating and sleeping a very long time ago...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:49 pm

Of course he did. There, there, gorgeous - now go back to sleepybyes.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:59 pm

Lots of people stopped eating. Ghandi stopped eating. Mao stopped eating. Marie Curie and Albert Einstein stopped eating. The list goes on and on, across cultural lines, gender lines, racial lines, even across religious lines. What's the big deal?
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:02 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:Lots of people stopped eating. Ghandi stopped eating. Mao stopped eating. Marie Curie and Albert Einstein stopped eating. The list goes on and on, across cultural lines, gender lines, racial lines, even across religious lines. What's the big deal?

Easy for you to say, Oleg.

Now just try to keep the weight off and not backslide!
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:28 pm

Tom Palven wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:Lots of people stopped eating. Ghandi stopped eating. Mao stopped eating. Marie Curie and Albert Einstein stopped eating. The list goes on and on, across cultural lines, gender lines, racial lines, even across religious lines. What's the big deal?

#ANDAMOVIE

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:26 pm

Tom Palven wrote:

Not one of the folks I am referencing needs to worry about their weight.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:54 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Tom Palven wrote:

Well, as you said, they stopped eating, so what would we expect?

I often stop eating and the weight comes off, but the problem is that the weight comes back when I start eating again. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:15 pm

Tom Palven wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:
Tom Palven wrote:

Well, as you said, they stopped eating, so what would we expect?

I often stop eating and the weight comes off, but the problem is that the weight comes back when I start eating again. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

worry not. These folks will never start eating again.

Return to “Skeptical Activism”