The Bent Spoon eZine - Skeptical Mag. for the True Believer

Ways and means of promoting skepticism
TheBentSpoon

The Bent Spoon eZine - Skeptical Mag. for the True Believer

Postby TheBentSpoon » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:05 pm

Hello everyone, this is my first post. For a long time I have been trying to figure out promote skepticism to the true believers of paranormal phenomena. They seem to have this distorted view on what skepticism is and what it is all about. So recently I have started an online magazine called “The Bent Spoon” which covers paranormal topics in a skeptical way, we call it the skeptical magazine for the true believer. We are trying to appeal to people blinded by belief and hopefully we can make them think.

We describe the eZine as follows:

"In the landscape of paranormal media, there are traditionally two unique, yet separate, brands. One geared toward the believers, and the other more skeptical in nature. The problem is that the true believers rarely, if ever, embrace a skeptical attitude or ask tough questions of their community; instead preferring to surround themselves with likeminded individuals that reinforce their own belief systems. And the skeptics, likewise, promote science and critical thinking largely to those already open to it, or who are active partici¬pants in the skeptical community. This results in an echo chamber effect, wherein the same ideas are bounced back and forth, guru-student relationships are inadvertently cre¬ated, and neither side ends up learning much about the other.
Enter: The Bent Spoon.
The Bent Spoon is a skeptical magazine for the true believer. Within its pages you will find Q&A between those with opposing viewpoints, interviews with leading investigators and thinkers, as well as articles which will not only provide in-depth analysis, but also be critical of both believers and skeptics alike. Along with reviews, comic strips, and other lighter fare, The Bent Spoon hopes to foster an attitude of outreach, forming a middle ground where believers and skeptics can come together and have a conversation about the issues and questions we’ve all given thought to.

The Bent Spoon. Where extraordinary claims meet ordinary explanations."

Does anyone have any advice, questions, comments or interest in something like this? I will take all the help I can get. We are getting ready to release issue 3 which covers spirit communication. Like I said before, all I want to do is plant a seed and make people think instead of just saying “yup it is supernatural.”
Anyway, thanks everyone.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: The Bent Spoon eZine - Skeptical Mag. for the True Belie

Postby Gord » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:16 am

I've lately swung in completely the opposite direction, and am bordering on heaping outrageous verbal abuse upon their stupid, pointy little heads.

Don't do that. Sure, it FEELS magnificent, and maybe drives them away where you never have to hear their stupid, pointy little theories again, but it avoids the real problem and potentially drives them onto someone else.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Kalkin
Poster

Postby Kalkin » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:48 am

I've always liked to get people together to argue against their own side. Say you got a UFOlogist and a skeptic together, and they argue for the opponents case: UFOlogist against alien visitation, skeptic for. It's an interesting process, and if done fairly, you learn more about the way the other side thinks.
"A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed." ~ Sam Halpern

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Postby rickoshay85 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:54 am

TheBentSpoon wrote:For a long time I have been trying to figure out promote skepticism to the true believers of paranormal phenomena.

True believers of anything are hard wired to their beliefs, and trying to alter or change them would be like cutting off their arms and legs,

There is hope for believers on the fence if you can get their attention, talk about subjects they can relate with, get them on the same page.

rickoshay85

I'm an idling motor waiting for a resonate post to put me in gear.
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO. John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Return to “Skeptical Activism”