Finding Atlantis

Ways and means of promoting skepticism
AvalonHill

Finding Atlantis

Postby AvalonHill » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:04 pm

Hi all, first of all I introduce myself and congratulate you by the forum and the web.

For several days the world media have gleefully publicized that a team of American archaeologists, led by Professor Richard Freund, University of Hartford (USA) has discovered evidences of the mythical Atlantis. And, at last but not least, its location would be, neither more nor less than the Coto de Doñana (south Spain). Much of the spanish media, including ABC, El Pais or news agency Europa Press, have given as good the claim, among other things because Freund's inquiries seem to be supported by the National Geographic television channel, which coincidentally opened on Sunday 13 March a documentary entitled Finding Atlantis (Finding Atlantis).

According to press notes, the U.S. researcher would have used modern techniques, including satellite photographs and use of georradares-plus-underwater archaeological survey in the famous National Park, discovering what appears to be a "sunken city" in Doñana, with a dating back more than 4,000 years. In addition, the documentary show "that is possibly the most intriguing archaeological piece ever associated with Atlantis, a stone relief found among ruins of 2,800 years ago, would represent an Atlantean warrior defending the entrance to the mythical city. Amazing ... isn´t it?

I share this biases news with you, if possible, spread the falsehood of it.

Sorry for my poor level english

http://www.planetasapiens.com/?p=4874 (in spanish)

Regards
"The difference between talent and stupidity is that talent is limitless"
Albert Einstein

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: Finding Atlantis

Postby Gord » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:00 am

Ah, interesting, thank you! I had not heard of this one.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/201 ... spain.html

A National Geographic television special that aired on Sunday details the work of American, Canadian and Spanish scientists as they attempt to prove Atlantis existed by following up on space satellite images showing unusual features in an area just north of Cadiz.

The area is near the Straits of Gibraltar — widely thought to be the "Pillars of Hercules" Plato mentioned in his description of the location of Atlantis.

The team is led by archaeologist Richard Freund of the University of Hartford in Connecticut. It used satellite photography, ground-penetrating radar and underwater technology to look for proof of the city's existence.

Freund's team also includes geophysicist Paul Bauman from the engineering firm WorleyParsons in Calgary and geographer Philip Reeder of the University of South Florida.

Sensor readings suggest the presence of a communal oven and possibly canals, Bauman told Postmedia News.

"Sensor readings?" :shock:

The researchers say they also discovered a series of mysterious memorial cities in central Spain, seemingly modelled on Atlantis, leading them to conclude those who survived the tsunami fled Atlantis and built new cities inland.

Well, beam me up, Scotty, that's amazing.

I love this one comment, though:

canadian-ehstandard
2011/03/16 at 10:21 PM ET

"Atlantis is believed to have been home to an advanced society before its demise sometime in 9600 BC."

Can't be true.

The 'Harper Government' tells us the world is only 4000 years old and they don't lie!.

Bwah ha ha ha haaaaw! :mrgreen:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:13 am

Hmmm, I wonder if it's one of the pins on this map? http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t267 ... lantis.jpg

I found that, posted Feb 24th 2008, at this website: http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/i ... ic=5725.15

Also, perhaps a better article from the Globe and Mail: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/wor ... le1941953/

On Sunday, the National Geographic Channel aired a documentary called Finding Atlantis, which will be shown in Canada on March 27 on the Discovery Channel.

It chronicles the work of a team led by University of Hartford archaeologist Richard Freund, who believes he has found the mythical advanced society of antiquity in the muddy sediment of a Spanish marsh.

In September, 2009, Dr. Freund and his team arrived in the Marisma de Hinojos marsh in southern Spain, part of the Coto Doñana National Park, to investigate aerial photographs that showed a geographic anomaly beneath the marsh.

The mud flats are dry for just two months a year and closed to the public, but the satellite imagery had revealed a circular area in the center of the marsh, and German archeologist Werner Wickboldt has hypothesized that other visible structures resemble those Plato describes in his writings on Atlantis.

Instead of digging, Mr. Bauman and his team of geophysicists employed electrical resistivity tomography, a kind of MRI for the earth, to peer beneath the ground.

The images he produced revealed a series of three concentric belts of structures built on an artificial island, mirroring Plato’s descriptions

Core samples taken 13.5 metres beneath the marsh surface recovered wood fragments that were carbon dated as approximately 4,000 years old. The team also found debris off the coast, supporting the theory that a tsunami had flooded the region before it pulled some material back out to sea.

The Atlantis theory is also supported by a series of “memorial villages” that have been found about 240 kilometres inland from the site, which Dr. Freund believes were built by the city’s survivors.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

AvalonHill

Postby AvalonHill » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:39 am

Thank you for your attention and for helping to spread that all about Atlantis is nothing more than a lie.

Links you put are very informative and help us better understand the truth

The only true is that spanish researcher Sebastian Celestino Perez in the Archaeological Institute of Mérida explains that there is no evidence of any settlement as old and much less that has to do with Atlantis. The researcher expressed his discomfort with the sensationalist treatment had been given to the news. The only remains found are ceramics Chalcolithic period, and nothing that would speak of Atlantis as real and in his words "no longer a fantasy or an illusion in the popular imagination."

National Geographic wants to promote their lies and thus sell more, that's clear.

It is sad to see how a TV channel that so many people see and says seek the truth play this game of lies to sell more

Thanks again

Greetings
Albert Einstein

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:39 am

I've been following this, somewhat, as well. I watched the show, and it was ridiculous. I've listened to SGU's take on it, and it parallels my own view. This was a fictional place invented by Plato as an allegory for a philosophical discussion. No more. Though I didn't think it was more than a foolish endeavor, I can see the concern if you were living in the country they were claiming this alleged city to be in. It discounts the fact that if they were actually finding ruins, it would be a part of Spanish history, and not some fictional crap.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:39 am

fromthehills wrote:SGU

Stargate Universe? :?

I don't even watch that show but I know it can't be what you mean.
#ANDAMOVIE

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:06 pm

Gord wrote:
fromthehills wrote:SGU

Stargate Universe? :?

I don't even watch that show but I know it can't be what you mean.

No, they've beat Stargate into the ground, then pissed on it. SGU There's one every Saturday about 10:00 am my time, ready to download. Good news items, humorous banter, good interviews.

AvalonHill

Postby AvalonHill » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:22 pm

fromthehills wrote:I've been following this, somewhat, as well. I watched the show, and it was ridiculous. I've listened to SGU's take on it, and it parallels my own view. This was a fictional place invented by Plato as an allegory for a philosophical discussion. No more. Though I didn't think it was more than a foolish endeavor, I can see the concern if you were living in the country they were claiming this alleged city to be in. It discounts the fact that if they were actually finding ruins, it would be a part of Spanish history, and not some fictional crap.

Absolutely agree. The fact that Plato mention Atlantis as a philosophical meeting place is taken by all feverish minds of the world as the reality of the existence of a superior and highly technological civilization.

Perhaps, if the efforts of these cases researchers focused on the search for truth and not tell lies, would be more productive and beneficial to the knowledge of the true and rich history of the peoples who inhabited the south of the Iberian Peninsula those times. Fortunately, these studies have already been rigorously conducted and does not correspond anything with the speculations of the "professor" (¿professor?) Freund and cia.

Regards
Albert Einstein

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:53 pm

Ohhh, horrible. I've watched Finding Atlantis three times now (just the last half each time -- I keep missing the first half). It's pseudo-science, pure and simple.

Example: Divers film rocks 40 feet under the Atlantic, then a geologist views the film.

Geologist says: "These are natural rock formations."
Apologist says: "Humans could have used natural rock formations to build with."
What is relayed to Dr. Freund: "They found man made structures made of natural rock."

Seriously. Those may not be 100% accurate quotations, but they're essentially what was said. And I don't mean over the course of half an hour, I mean statements made one after another, basically.

It sucks, it sucks, it sucks.
#ANDAMOVIE

CMurdock
Poster

Postby CMurdock » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:41 pm

It seems perfectly logical to me that there may have been an island or a small continent that became submerged in the course of the movement of tectonic plates, and that there may have been a notable culture on that island or continent. I don't know why everyone thinks the idea is so ridiculous. It's one thing to be against an idea that is implausible (aliens visiting Earth and building pyramids), but it is something else to determinedly disbelieve a theory that has some plausibility to it.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:45 am

CMurdock wrote:It seems perfectly logical to me that there may have been an island or a small continent that became submerged in the course of the movement of tectonic plates, and that there may have been a notable culture on that island or continent. I don't know why everyone thinks the idea is so ridiculous. It's one thing to be against an idea that is implausible (aliens visiting Earth and building pyramids), but it is something else to determinedly disbelieve a theory that has some plausibility to it.

No-one has said that it's ridiculous. Land submerging as a result of tectonic shifts is a recognised phenomenon. Land submerging as a result of rises in sea level is an even more common event - there's an entire Mesolithic landscape at the bottom of the North Sea, for instance. What is annoying is the modern insistence that Plato was describing actuality, the modern fable that Atlanteans were next door to superhuman, and the idiotic claims that every newly-discovered submerged landscape (and there are many) is Atlantis. Atlantis is never presented as just an island - it carries far too much baggage for that. A claim for Atlantis is a claim for a super-civilisation and almost magical technological prowess when we mere mortals were struggling through the Bronze Age. This is the bit which is ridiculed - and rightly so.

CMurdock
Poster

Postby CMurdock » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:07 am

Well, I don't have a huge interest in Atlantis, so I'm not up on all the claims. I do think, however, that much more may have happened on the Earth during its history than we are aware of. It's possible that there were advanced cultures that left no trace -- and that would especially be true if the land that the culture inhabited became submerged. Our assumption that man has been evolving steadily upwards, resulting in modern man, may not be accurate.

I'm also not familiar with what Plato said, but I don't think we can second-guess a great historical figure who isn't here to clarify what he said.

Return to “Skeptical Activism”