The Irrationality Of Skepticism

Ways and means of promoting skepticism
numan
BANNED

Re: The Irrationality Of Skepticism

Postby numan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:52 pm

'
Pretty close. "Aporia" (literally, an impasse, "no way through"), is systematic philosophical doubt, or suspension of belief---which does not necessarily prevent practical action.

Here is a famous example:

Sphaerus, the Stoic, said to Ptolemy Philopator, king of Egypt: "A wise man always knows. He never holds mere opinions and so is never misled." The king had waxen pomegranates made and placed them in a bowl at a banquet. When Sphaerus took one of them, the king pounced and cried, "Aha! You see, you have given your assent to a misleading presentation." "Not at all," said Sphaerus, unperturbed. "I did not assent to the proposition that they were real pomegranates, but to the proposition that there was a reasonable probability that they were real pomegranates."
---Diogenes Laertius
Neither man nor woman can be worth anything until they have discovered that they are fools. This is the first step toward becoming either estimable or agreeable---and until it is taken, there is no hope.

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Postby rickoshay85 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:00 am

osks wrote:Scepticism is the self-refuting idea that one should not accept anything on ‘blind faith’..

The sceptic on the other hand, has to accept the basic tenets of his worldview on nothing less than ‘blind faith’!

Andre L Immelman
Christian Apologist
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO. John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Postby rickoshay85 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:05 am

osks wrote:Scepticism is the idea that one should not accept anything on ‘blind faith’..

Andre L Immelman
Christian Apologist
>>

The only words in the bible that make sense to me are "Forgive them. They know not what they do."
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO. John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

CMurdock
Poster

Postby CMurdock » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:18 pm

I was about to jump into this argument, but then I decided not to. Christianity is an easy target. It arose from an ancient culture, with all of that culture's prejudices and superstitions. The Bible has to be taken on faith only; there is no way to prove it. It is nearly impossible to defend. People who debate Christianity are, in my opinion, wasting their time.

Faith is something else, however. At a certain point of becoming familiar with something, you begin to believe in it -- and in that act is a leap of faith. Atheists (who incorrectly call themselves skeptics) are unable to ever make the leap of faith, while some people leap too quickly and in the wrong direction (i.e., towards things that are completely illogical). The only worthwhile discussion, in my opinion, is whether and/or when we should take our leaps of faith.

Sk3tch

Postby Sk3tch » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:55 am

Finally, on what basis do you condemn slavery (unless you adopt the standards set by Scripture)?

Basically, can't go into the depths that many of you can, or apply the complicated words, but the Osks guy that said this.... you're a scumbag.

Return to “Skeptical Activism”