Informative Speech Topic. Skepticism?

Ways and means of promoting skepticism
billypalmer

Informative Speech Topic. Skepticism?

Postby billypalmer » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:58 pm

Okay, so at my university, I have to fulfill a speech requirement class, and our first speech topic is coming up, and I wanted to do something with skepticism. Maybe atheism, maybe abiogenesis, maybe evolution, I just don't know. The catch is, it HAS to be informational, I can't persuade, and I do not know how to write a speech on atheism, or even skepticism in general without being persuasive. Any help with topic ideas? Thanks!

xouper
True Skeptic

Re: Informative Speech Topic. Skepticism?

Postby xouper » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:53 pm

billypalmer wrote:... The catch is, it HAS to be informational, I can't persuade,

Am I understanding correctly that your speech is not allowed to argue for any particular point of view, but rather is merely to inform the audience with facts?

If so, then I would be tempted to avoid (inflammatory) topics that might invoke the professor's biases, because if the prof gets the impression -- even mistakenly -- that you are making an argument in addition to your presentation of facts, you may risk losing points in your grade.

I could be misunderstanding your question, however, so if what I said doesn't make any sense to you then I recommend ignoring it. :)

P.S. Perhaps I should add that I am currently a full-time graduate student who has gotten top marks for my presentations.

KnaveOfHearts
Regular Poster

Re: Informative Speech Topic. Skepticism?

Postby KnaveOfHearts » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:25 pm

I believe what you have to do it take a topic and then merely point out both sides of the argument. If this is truly the case and you do have problems not persuading, I would suggest picking a topic not important to you and defiantly not a skeptic topic.

If this class is like any I had taken you will get your chance to persuade. Just play it safe this time around and feel the professor/TA out.
"All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other."
— H.P. Lovecraft

Return to “Skeptical Activism”