Skepticism isn’t much fun

Ways and means of promoting skepticism
Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Re: Skepticism isn’t much fun

Postby Daedalus » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:18 pm

Monster wrote:Regarding the opening post, yes, it's more fun to believe in mysteries. Yes, mysteries are fun.

I don't know... I think it depends on the mystery. It's intriguing and stimulating to believe in The Bermuda Triangle, unless you have to take a flight through it and are scared out of your wits because of that belief. Belief in monsters might be engaging, unless you believe that a monster is under your bed, waiting to eat you.
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

Kaepora Gaebora
Regular Poster

Re: Skepticism isn’t much fun

Postby Kaepora Gaebora » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:23 pm

Daedalus wrote:
Monster wrote:Regarding the opening post, yes, it's more fun to believe in mysteries. Yes, mysteries are fun.

I don't know... I think it depends on the mystery. It's intriguing and stimulating to believe in The Bermuda Triangle, unless you have to take a flight through it and are scared out of your wits because of that belief. Belief in monsters might be engaging, unless you believe that a monster is under your bed, waiting to eat you.

Superstitious beliefs can be chaining in that you are chained to decietful people or made up events affecting your mood and behavior. At the same time, you reject responsiblity for some of your actions which is both a good and bad thing. More bad because you pretend that you have no power over reality or delude yourself about the amount of control or knowledge you have over it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWo3kTYb8W0

Return to “Skeptical Activism”