How About "Chemtrails?"

PSI, Mediums, Ghosts, UFOs, Things That Go Bump In The Night
Bart Stewart
Frequent Poster

How About "Chemtrails?"

Postby Bart Stewart » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:35 am

I'm kind of surprised there are no posts on this board about "Chemtrails," and no articles on the subject in Skeptic Magazine. If you've never heard about it, this is a conspiracy theory that says the government is deploying some unspecified aerosol chemicals into the upper atmosphere for some unknown purpose. What you think may just be lines of jet exhaust in the sky are actually mysterious chemicals being sprayed. You can tell the difference between Chemtrails and jet exhaust because the Chemtrails last longer, spreading out across the sky without fully dissapating. There are numerous web sites with photos of, frankly, jet exhaust lines in the sky. But people are passionate about this one, and the paranoia strikes deep. Some say the Chemtrails are an attempt at controlling the weather, some say it's a mind-control drug, some absolutely refuse to disclose the truth ... the real truth ... about ... CHEMTRAILS!!!

bigtim
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Skeptical Berserker

Re: How About "Chemtrails?"

Postby bigtim » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:20 pm

/sigh... here we go again....

http://asd-www.larc.nasa.gov/GLOBE/faq.html

Contrail
Contrails or vapor trails are condensation trails and artificial cirrus clouds made by the exhaust of aircraft engines or wingtip vortices which precipitate a stream of tiny ice crystals in moist, frigid upper air. Being composed of water, the visible white streams are not, in and of themselves, air pollution. However, vapour trails or contrails generated by engine exhaust are inevitably linked with typical fuel combustion pollutants.

The wings of an aircraft cause a drop in air pressure in the vicinity of the wing. This brings with it a drop in temperature, which can cause water to condense out of the air and form a vapour trail or contrail. This effect (the Prandtl-Glauert singularity), is more common on humid days

The condensation trail left behind jet aircrafts are called contrails. Contrails form when hot humid air from jet exhaust mixes with environmental air of low vapor pressure and low temperature. The mixing is a result of turbulence generated by the engine exhaust

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/wxwise/class/contrail.html

During the three-day commercial flight hiatus, when the artificial clouds known as contrails all but disappeared, the variations in high and low temperatures increased by 1.1 degrees Celsius (2 degrees Fahrenheit) each day, said meteorological researchers.

http://archives.cnn.com/2002/TECH/science/08/07/contrails.climate/index.html

The science of contrails is well known. Before you go all conspiracy nut I would suggest you do some reading :-)
~
BigTim
"I'm not entirely convinced that ValHalla isn't real."

Bart Stewart
Frequent Poster

Postby Bart Stewart » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:42 pm

The science of contrails is well known. Before you go all conspiracy nut I would suggest you do some reading
>>>
I never said I believed there was anything weird going on, and I don't. I just wondered if it had ever been discussed here, as I saw no mention of it. Apparently it is a pretty big conspiracy theory out there. Numerous web sites exist about it, and I got into a wrangle with one of their writers once who swore up and down that it is more than just regular airliner emissions.
There is even a conspiracy theory linking Chemtrails to "Morgellons." Have we had any analysis of the fascinating cause and effect linkages between Chemtrails and Morgellons? Or Chemtrails and Bigfoot?
Sorry about that duplicate posting on a topic that may not deserve even one. (I still can't figure how I did that.)

bigtim
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Skeptical Berserker

Postby bigtim » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:46 pm

Bart Stewart wrote:The science of contrails is well known. Before you go all conspiracy nut I would suggest you do some reading
>>>
I never said I believed there was anything weird going on, and I don't. I just wondered if it had ever been discussed here, as I saw no mention of it. Apparently it is a pretty big conspiracy theory out there. Numerous web sites exist about it, and I got into a wrangle with one of their writers once who swore up and down that it is more than just regular airliner emissions.
There is even a conspiracy theory linking Chemtrails to "Morgellons." Have we had any analysis of the fascinating cause and effect linkages between Chemtrails and Morgellons? Or Chemtrails and Bigfoot?
Sorry about that duplicate posting on a topic that may not deserve even one. (I still can't figure how I did that.)

ah, then I apologize... I missed the sarcasm there. Sorry, been arguing with jenthetru too much... heh...heh....
~

BigTim

"I'm not entirely convinced that ValHalla isn't real."

MrWeasel

Postby MrWeasel » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:28 am

Bart Stewart wrote:Some say the Chemtrails are an attempt at controlling the weather, some say it's a mind-control drug,

I cannot image a less effective method of dispersing mind-control drugs than releasing an aerosol at 40,000 feet, where it would be subject to the 200-300 mile per hour jetstreams that meander across the top of the troposphere. How exactly do these consiracists image than the people ordering these action are spared the effects of nation-wide drug dispersal?

Wouldn't it be cool if they taught critical thinking in schools? Then people wouldn't look at commonplace events and construct elaborate nonsense to explain them.

DeusEx_Humana
Frequent Poster

Postby DeusEx_Humana » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:19 am

MrWeasel wrote:
Bart Stewart wrote:Some say the Chemtrails are an attempt at controlling the weather, some say it's a mind-control drug,

I cannot image a less effective method of dispersing mind-control drugs than releasing an aerosol at 40,000 feet, where it would be subject to the 200-300 mile per hour jetstreams that meander across the top of the troposphere. How exactly do these consiracists image than the people ordering these action are spared the effects of nation-wide drug dispersal?

Wouldn't it be cool if they taught critical thinking in schools? Then people wouldn't look at commonplace events and construct elaborate nonsense to explain them.

I've yet to meet anyone proposing this in real life, proof that the chemtrails are succeeding.

Bart Stewart
Frequent Poster

Postby Bart Stewart » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:36 am

I did have one final question on this subject. Maybe you can help me with any future debates I have with conspiracy theorists. Why is it that most contrails vanish almost immediately and others spread out across the sky and linger a long time? These are what they are calling Chemtrails.

I told a guy once that I had seen such phenomena in the sky back when I was a kid in the 1960s. Back then there was no advanced technology like what he was talking about. He said I was mistaken, that there were no long-lasting, expanding jet trails in the sky in the 1960s. These are a more recent development, known by the dreaded name ... CHEMTRAILS!!!

Sure seems to me we could settle this with a trip through a photo archive of old photographs with contrails in the background.

RogerBacon

Postby RogerBacon » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:43 pm

Consider what is being discussed here, the conspiracy theorists hold that the vapour trails, coming from the exhausts of aircraft are being salted by some agency to pollute the planet.
Problem burning aviation fuel at altitude is going to leave a residue of that which is burned in the atmosphere, usually in sub zero temperatures leaving a heat exchange we see as vapour, and yes a shading of said gases (As cloud) is going to result as shown in that infamous period after Sept 2001.
Conspiracy? unlikely, no more than trucks or trains, going across country leaving a vapour trail of the pollutants they emit, though on a much smaller scale. :idea:

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:24 am

Bart Stewart wrote:Sure seems to me we could settle this with a trip through a photo archive of old photographs with contrails in the background.

Most photos of the Battle of Britain aircombat shows the long lasting contrails as their "high lift" wings compress air water vapour in turns. This maybe what you are after.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:01 am

This reminds me of a link recently posted at another Skeptic forum over there *vaguely points*... http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825469

It's some crazy lady that seems to think the rainbow in her lawn sprinkler is proof of a government water tampering conspiracy. Stupid people. :roll:
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Bart Stewart
Frequent Poster

Postby Bart Stewart » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:34 am

Have you guys heard about "Sylphs?" Not syphilis, Sylphs. It is a New Age belief, involving chemtrails.

Sylphs are "elementals" who look like clouds. When you see a cloud that resembles a dragon or angel or bearded god, that's essentially what it really is. It is a spirit embodied by clouds. These Sylphs do various supernatural things as the jet stream pushes them along, but most importantly for us, they destroy and/or consume CHEMTRAILS!!!

Enter Sylphs in a search engine. I am not making this up.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:15 am

You aren't kidding. Yikes.

In a simpler time, you could only read such stuff plastered to telephone poles and the windows of vacant buildings, and maybe a bus stop shelter or phone booth. At least the Internet keeps it off the streets.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Return to “UFOs, Cryptozoology, and The Paranormal”