3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

PSI, Mediums, Ghosts, UFOs, Things That Go Bump In The Night
User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 31616
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby Gord » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:32 pm

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28533
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:34 pm

Thank you Gord. The third debunk on the Marfa Lights will help me, regarding the temperature inversion causing false radar readings in Washington in 1952. It is essentially the same principle.
Marfa Lights.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
iGoddard
New Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby iGoddard » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:07 pm

Only 3 times?! lol

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4854
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby gorgeous » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:29 pm

ghosts are bugs, ufos are mirages....not proven
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3159
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:48 pm

gorgeous wrote:ghosts are bugs, ufos are mirages....not proven
Clearly, you didn't watch the video, since that's not what it said. And all three paranormal claims were debunked, and evidence was provided. What you're doing is like claiming a movie was horrible when you never actually watched it.
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4854
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby gorgeous » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:01 am

no evidence....made up stuff...show me a mirage...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 21807
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:07 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:
gorgeous wrote:ghosts are bugs, ufos are mirages....not proven
Clearly, you didn't watch the video, since that's not what it said. And all three paranormal claims were debunked, and evidence was provided. What you're doing is like claiming a movie was horrible when you never actually watched it.

gorgon has achieved an amazing record while posting here. He's the first one to establish a negative post index, and then degrade that score to negative infinity.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 31616
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby Gord » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:28 am

iGoddard wrote:Only 3 times?! lol

Well, it's only 6 minutes long.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4854
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby gorgeous » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:45 pm

so where is the mirage all of you believe in?
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Cadmusteeth
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:43 pm
Location: Colorado, USA

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby Cadmusteeth » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:14 pm

Don't blame me if this isn't what you expected a mirage to look like.

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4854
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby gorgeous » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:38 pm

secret service have verified legit psychic gave legit info on pres threat...so there...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Cadmusteeth
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:43 pm
Location: Colorado, USA

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby Cadmusteeth » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:20 pm

Whatever you say.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3159
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:38 pm

gorgeous wrote:secret service have verified legit psychic gave legit info on pres threat...so there...

Vague claim. No factual evidence from reputable sources. You've proven nothing.
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4854
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby gorgeous » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:45 pm

secret service told author of book...so there...still waiting to see mirages you believe in...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9580
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby Poodle » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:26 pm

gorgeous wrote:secret service told author of book...so there...still waiting to see mirages you believe in...

They do that.
Then they tell our woodland pixies and they sing it to the trees, which don't listen. So that's OK.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Posts: 11153
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:22 pm

gorgeous wrote:so where is the mirage all of you believe in?

There are others
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4854
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby gorgeous » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:26 pm

fake
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Cadmusteeth
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:43 pm
Location: Colorado, USA

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby Cadmusteeth » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:09 pm

This is like my mother dealing with her problem students. They give piss poor excuses for not wanting to learn the material expect to pass the class anyway.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3159
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:12 pm

gorgeous wrote:secret service told author of book...so there...
That's not evidence; it's just another claim. So THERE.
gorgeous wrote:still waiting to see mirages you believe in...
I don't 'believe in' mirages; I know they occur, as do a plethora of other ways in which our visual sense can be fooled. Here...go learn something:
heat shimmer
superior mirage
Fata Morgana
atmospheric refraction
looming/sinking refraction
various types of optical illusions
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4854
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby gorgeous » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:16 pm

show me a mirage
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9580
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby Poodle » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:30 pm

How many do you want to bloody see, you ignoramus. They were all there 4 minutes before you posted!

User avatar
Cadmusteeth
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:43 pm
Location: Colorado, USA

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby Cadmusteeth » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:49 pm

gorgeous wrote:show me a mirage

Methinks you don't really understand what a mirage is and don't actually want to understand what one is. But then again my past experience has shown this to be the case so I shouldn't be too disappointed by your behavior.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3159
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:51 pm

gorgeous wrote:show me a mirage
I did. You ignored the links I provided. Go learn something.
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

Dubious
New Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:08 am

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby Dubious » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:37 am

It's sometimes demoralizing how the paranormal always turns into the normal. You'd think there would be a little more excitement in the universe. But no! For that we have to depend on epic invasions as staged by Hollywood who are now at the cusp of mythologizing the universe with us at the center of it all battling evil forces as if we haven't got enough of that on our own little rock! :shock:

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks
Posts: 8886
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby Aztexan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:11 am

Just once, I'd like to see a vampire or a zombie in a laboratory, proving equations wrong using sound logic and critical thinking and peer review to corroborate or refute.
trump is Putin's bitch

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 21807
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:07 pm

Aztexan wrote:Just once, I'd like to see a vampire or a zombie in a laboratory, proving equations wrong using sound logic and critical thinking and peer review to corroborate or refute.

It would be very short.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks
Posts: 8886
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby Aztexan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:27 pm

For a zombie maybe, but vampires can be intelligent. It wouldn't necessarily be short, I mean, lab time would be limited to night time. Since many scientists are atheist, there would be very few to no crucifixes laying around so work can continued unimpeded. I think it could work. The possibilities are endless.
trump is Putin's bitch

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 31616
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby Gord » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:01 pm

Most zombies are actually quite tall, probably because they eat all the shorter ones.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks
Posts: 8886
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby Aztexan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:50 pm

First of all, zombies don't eat each other. Second, you can change your avatar back. The holidays are over.
trump is Putin's bitch

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 31616
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby Gord » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:30 pm

Zombies eat little zombies! I seen it happen!

Plus, it's only the day after Christmas and there's rum left in the bottle next to half a carton of eggnog, so I still NEED my avatar.

Third, when I said zombies eat all the shorter ones, I was actually thinking of the people they attack. See, they attack people indiscriminately, short and tall, but they eat the short ones 'cause they can, but the tall ones escape with a bite or two 'cause they're bigger. Then the bitten tall people turn into zombies. And that's why zombies are tall.

D) There is no fourth thing. I thought there was, but apparently I was wrong. I've been watching Dirk Gently's Holisitic Detective Agency on Netflix. It's pretty funny, although it doesn't have much to do with the Dirk Gently from Douglas Adams' books. I wouldn't recommend it to a fan of the books, or even to someone who doesn't know who Dirk Gently is. That doesn't leave much of a target audience, though. Anyways, I like it, it's got a few clever bits to it. Just thought I'd mention it here, in this blank space where nothing else was going to go.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks
Posts: 8886
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby Aztexan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:20 pm

I have never seen a zombie eat a smaller zombie. I'm going to need a citation. And a note from your doctor.
If you like your avatar, you can keep your avatar. I'm curious to see your Valentine's day avatar. Any pics of you in a diaper holding a bow and arrow?
But seriously, I'm gonna need to see proof of a zombie eating a smaller zombie because that would shatter my whole belief system if it's true.
trump is Putin's bitch

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Posts: 11153
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby OlegTheBatty » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:09 pm

Are you saying that cannibals can't become zombies? Is cannibalism the hole card?
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3159
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby Nikki Nyx » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:46 pm

The good news: You don't have to become a zombie!
The bad news: Your only other choice is 'cannibal.' A nice Chianti might help you decide.
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 21807
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:19 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:The good news: You don't have to become a zombie!
The bad news: Your only other choice is 'cannibal.' A nice Chianti might help you decide.

I've had dinner with the Devil,
And gave the Devil his due.
We had some fried okra,
And gumbo thick as glue.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 31616
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby Gord » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:28 am

Aztexan wrote:I have never seen a zombie eat a smaller zombie. I'm going to need a citation. And a note from your doctor.

Fine. Here you go:

doctor note.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4854
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby gorgeous » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:35 pm

fox----at white house-------- During a visit to the nation's capitol during World War I, British Prime Minister Winston Churchill was shocked to spot a ghostly Lincoln sitting by the fireplace in his room as Churchill emerged naked from the bath tub, the History Channel notes.
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9580
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby Poodle » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:43 pm

I've always found it the best way to emerge from a bathtub.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 21807
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:47 pm

Poodle wrote:I've always found it the best way to emerge from a bathtub.

Slacker.

Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 31616
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby Gord » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:08 pm

Gord wrote:...D) There is no fourth thing. I thought there was, but apparently I was wrong. I've been watching Dirk Gently's Holisitic Detective Agency on Netflix. It's pretty funny, although it doesn't have much to do with the Dirk Gently from Douglas Adams' books. I wouldn't recommend it to a fan of the books, or even to someone who doesn't know who Dirk Gently is. That doesn't leave much of a target audience, though. Anyways, I like it, it's got a few clever bits to it. Just thought I'd mention it here, in this blank space where nothing else was going to go.

It's been cancelled. There will be no third season. :( I think they made their decision based on my review, since it is at the top of all google searches due to our site's popularity. (I made that last part up.)
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks
Posts: 8886
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Re: 3 Times Science Debunked the Paranormal

Postby Aztexan » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:04 pm

gorgeous wrote:fox----at white house-------- During a visit to the nation's capitol during World War I, British Prime Minister Winston Churchill was shocked to spot a ghostly Lincoln sitting by the fireplace in his room as Churchill emerged naked from the bath tub, the History Channel notes.



In supernatural news, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln is traumatized and seeking therapy after seeing Winston Churchill naked.
Stay tuned.
trump is Putin's bitch


Return to “UFOs, Cryptozoology, and The Paranormal”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest