We need help explaining weird events please

PSI, Mediums, Ghosts, UFOs, Things That Go Bump In The Night
Biochemist

We need help explaining weird events please

Postby Biochemist » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:11 pm

Hello we're looking for explanations to events that have really freaked us out. We had a doorknob that was off the door one morning, there was no sound in the night and the screws that held the doorknob on from the inside did not have damaged thread or the screw holes in the knob and I could easily screw them back in, the knob seems securely back on with no apparent damage or looseness, and nothing had been stolen. Myself and my fiancee both do not remember it being wiggly or broken at all the day before. Some other strange things happened that were minor like books being moved slightly but especially the doorknob made us joke about the house being haunted. Then tonight we watched a movie (the conjuring) about a haunted house with the doors slamming and all the usual things. After the movie we joked about our house being haunted regarding the doorknob and less than 5 minutes later there was an... aggressive knock at the door at 11:30 way too late to be knocking on doors and it pushed us over the edge into really considering paranormal. We don't believe in ghosts but we would love if someone else had explanations for these things. The knock tonight was easily explainable but... it just felt so perfectly timed... and it really caused us to be seriously scared. I think if we got a plausible explanation as to the doorknob we would be very set at ease on the paranormal front at least. Does this happen to doorknobs with attempted break ins? Do screws just not have the thread or doorknob screw hole threads get damaged when forced open sometimes?

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: We need help explaining weird events please

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:55 pm

Apply the KISS principle.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:05 pm

Got some lovely friends prone to prank one in, say, October?
Hi, Io the lurker.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:17 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Got some lovely friends prone to prank one in, say, October?

Friend or resident...

Biochemist

Postby Biochemist » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:05 pm

Right like I said the current incident is easily explainable and the convenience of the situation is very easily incidental. We are mostly looking if anyone knows mechanically how a locked doorknob would be unscrewed from the inside without damaging the threads or waking us up. We called my car guy and asked what he knew about the threads and screws and such, he said maybe the housing was cracked and it feels solid but can just pop with enough force however he was also very skeptical of that theory and independently joked about the place being haunted, we checked inside the housing and saw no evidence of any damage at all and I've repeatedly tried to yank it myself (not being particularly strong) and gotten no result either.

Biochemist

Postby Biochemist » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:06 pm

Or if there's another variable to the situation we're not considering as well

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:22 pm

Biochemist wrote:Right like I said the current incident is easily explainable and the convenience of the situation is very easily incidental. We are mostly looking if anyone knows mechanically how a locked doorknob would be unscrewed from the inside without damaging the threads or waking us up.

Inside job.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:29 pm

Assuming that all relevant information is provided, which I doubt because of the nature of anecdotes, it probably had been loosening over time with use and happened to fall out. Houses vibrate (road traffic, people walking in the house, etc.) That nobody remembers whether or not it was loose is unreliable.

Most doorknobs are held in place with two screws which run though the assembly into sockets in the assembly on the other side of the door. Those sockets are not deep. It is quite plausible that the screws had already worked loose over time. Then there is the question of what pulled the knob out far enough to fall off. Could have been caused by the door swinging open or closed because of an air current. The sound may not have been enough to wake you--it cannot be reliably assumed that it would have.

But we have no way to know what really happened. It is a mystery that will be lost to the ages up to an including the heat death of the universe.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:33 pm

Pyrrho wrote:Assuming that all relevant information is provided, which I doubt because of the nature of anecdotes, it probably had been loosening over time with use and happened to fall out. Houses vibrate (road traffic, people walking in the house, etc.) That nobody remembers whether or not it was loose is unreliable.

The screws fell out, the knob fell out, then the screws fell back in?

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:35 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Pyrrho wrote:Assuming that all relevant information is provided, which I doubt because of the nature of anecdotes, it probably had been loosening over time with use and happened to fall out. Houses vibrate (road traffic, people walking in the house, etc.) That nobody remembers whether or not it was loose is unreliable.

Are you saying that I have a couple of screws loose?
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:37 pm

That's an example of a cheap doorknob.

Biochemist

Postby Biochemist » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:14 pm

This is somewhat what we were looking for and is unfortunately the only other reasonable explanation I could come up with, essentially user error. Just because we don't FEEL like it was loose at all does not mean it was not. Also the doorknob was not on the ground as you say gawdzilla, the apparatus was completely detached but hanging together loosely still on the door.

Upon further consideration: The way you're talking about the assembly made me think of something, when I went to reassemble it I accidentally screwed in the screw not into the threads but the space between the screw hole and another part of the assembly. It felt pretty solid and until I had a lot of trouble getting the other screw in I didn't realize anything was wrong at all. The toilet is definitely not well installed, I could see whoever put the stuff together doing a rush job and not caring and just forcing that second screw in possibly into another similar gap. That dovetails nicely with what the mechanic told me about a crack in the mounting thread hole it sounds like a similar V tension that could pop. Additionally when I did it incorrectly the screws were further out and I did notice they screwed further in than I remembered when I fixed t the first time. I don't know that this is THE solution and it still points toward someone(s) repeatedly trying to break in which is also scary but this seems like at least an explanation and that's more than sufficient to replace... ghosts. I'll try and get an image put together, the mechanism is slightly different than the one posted.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:15 pm

Pyrrho wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:

Are you saying that I have a couple of screws loose?

Look at the word below your name... ;)

Biochemist

Postby Biochemist » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:43 pm

my best attempt of a diagram
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:33 pm

Don't watch The Conjuring, it's a piece of junk.

Other than that, I don't have enough information to make any useful contributions to this discussion.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:36 pm

Let's start by eliminating suspects.

Poltergeist? Nope.
Ghost? Nope.
Alien invaders? Nope.
Dormamu? Nope. (Probably nope.)

This pretty much leaves us with corporeal entities that can use tools.

Big Feets? Nope.
Yeti? Not yet.
Dwarves from the Iron Hills? Busy elsewhere.

What's left?
Last edited by Gawdzilla Sama on Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:30 am

Scooby-Doo?
Hi, Io the lurker.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:31 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Scooby-Doo?

Have we determined if there was any Scooby doo-doo?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:55 am

Just yesterday I had a similar event in my life. I was just sitting in my lazy boy and looked to my left and saw a carton of warm yogurt. I don't recall getting it or eating it. There is no reason at all for that to have happened as I was using that container to inoculate milk to make more yogurt....something done in the kitchen and not in front of the tv.

The most rational answer is that I made a snack of the yogurt and "forgot" that I had done so...even though that is against my habit pattern of what I consistently had done with that yogurt.

The idea occurred to me that maybe I ate it during a sleep walking event? That also would be very out of habit with me. I don't think i sleep walk at all. and if I did, would i arrange the blanket over me in the same way? I suppose that is possible.

Later that same night, sitting at this very computer..... something fell off the shelf to the left of my desk. Something that had been on the shelf for months if not years and I have not been near the shelf in months or years. Something on the shelf just fell off. I assume for that....it was the vibration explanation. I'm satisfied with that explanation for that event. Still don't know about the yogurt.

Up shot is: I live with the mystery. Yogurt is back in the fridge waiting for the next inoculation. Going to make yogurt cheese.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Io

Postby Io » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:03 am

I experienced an incident a few weeks ago. I was in my kitchen in the wee small hours of the morning - I have an odd job and no life so am frequently up through the night - and I fancied a tin of beans (Heinz, the ones with sausages in). I popped them in a pan, left the empty tin on the working surface and busied myself at the sink.
Then I heard a faint whisper from behind me, in the direction of the working surface. I turned around but saw nothing. Because it was night, dark, silent and spooky, I paused for a moment. Exactly then the empty tin moved itself across the work surface about two feet with that same faint sound, paused for a few seconds and then moved another 3 or 4 inches before stopping for good. I was freaked out...

...for very nearly a second. Now, on the face of it this sounds like your average BS ghost story, but, fortunately, I could see pretty much immediately what the real explanation was, and the comprehension of it relies on factors not revealed in the above telling. Namely: I had been cleaning the working surfaces after plopping my beans in the pan and whilst waiting for the kettle to boil. I like my beans sloppy so after the kettle boiled I half filled the beans tin with boiling water, sloshed it around a bit to loosen the remains of the sauce in the tin and poured it into the pan. Then I put the tin back on the working surface.
Well, hot tin with a small, lipped cavity in the base on a wet smooth surface... anyone with a passing experience with the physics of reality can guess why it shifted.

No mystery here.

I suppose my point is that details get left out of a story because they are not considered relevant, not known or simply don't fit with the desired narrative of 'spooky tale'. Unobserved or seemingly unconnected things will not be considered or noted and so won't form part of the teller's experience. Missing details are probably most of what makes a ghost story unexplained.

I ate the beans. They were boring except for the sausages. Though the wind they produced later was mighty.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:53 am

Io==you left out the detail of your house being built on a hill........with no correction in the foundation.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:48 pm

Wait: Heinz makes beans with sausages in them??? And all this time I've been adding my own sausages like a yutz!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:05 pm

Carry on adding your own if you value your taste buds.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:06 pm

Io wrote: No mystery here.
I believe you. I have also placed tins on a wet kitchen stone bench, after spilling hot water and watched the tins start moving. It made me laugh and wonder how many people didn't know what was going on.

Io

Postby Io » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:23 pm

Gord wrote:Wait: Heinz makes beans with sausages in them??? And all this time I've been adding my own sausages like a yutz!

Wait: They make a yutz-like sausage? And all this time I've been eating the tubular ones.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:02 am

Yutzes can be tubular. Totally tubular, dude!

Oops, I've just performed a Google search and apparently I'm wrong. Unless you could biking forums, I mean: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vint ... bular.html

cyclezen wrote:...After riding I would bring these 'down' to 'lightly firm' pressure anyway and pump up again before using. This is another Old-Guyz thing that I was taught, but seems to have no real basis in fact. The Olde Italian Guyz (they may not all have been Eyetalian either...) would tell us Yutz to 'air them down' after racing....

Does that count? That might count. ...I don't think that counts.
#ANDAMOVIE

Io

Postby Io » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:17 am

It doesn't count.

Fortunately it also doesn't matter!

Also... er... were you *coughs* really googling biking?

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:20 am

Biking? No. "Tubular yutz." Why on earth would anyone ever google biking?!? :P
#ANDAMOVIE

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:38 am

Sounds like someone needs to cut back on the drugs.... or maybe just remove the doors.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:14 pm

Hi, Io the lurker.

Io

Postby Io » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:00 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Why? WHY??!!!

:o At the same moment I read that post I was listening to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5s41VIUw5M

How's that for spooky.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:12 am

:shock:

:lol:
Hi, Io the lurker.

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:00 pm

I have a doorknob on my hall closet that falls off every three months or so. There are some internal pieces that are a bit worn and after I re-install the knob each time it just takes a while for it to work itself loose again. No mystery.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:21 pm

Austin Harper wrote:I have a doorknob on my hall closet that falls off every three months or so. There are some internal pieces that are a bit worn and after I re-install the knob each time it just takes a while for it to work itself loose again. No mystery.

Same thing happens in my scrotum.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:40 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Austin Harper wrote:I have a doorknob on my hall closet that falls off every three months or so. There are some internal pieces that are a bit worn and after I re-install the knob each time it just takes a while for it to work itself loose again. No mystery.

You should see about getting a man in.
#ANDAMOVIE

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:00 pm

Gord wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:

You should see about getting a man in.

Sorry, don't swing that way.

Return to “UFOs, Cryptozoology, and The Paranormal”