Why are anecdotes considered to be poor evidence?

PSI, Mediums, Ghosts, UFOs, Things That Go Bump In The Night
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Re: Why are anecdotes considered to be poor evidence?

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:43 pm

No, Shaka. You aren't wise, thoughtful and helpful, even though at times it seems that's at least one of your goals. You're acting in a selfish and rude manner, my friend.

What else can you talk about besides the usual nonsense you spew?
Hi, Io the lurker.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:49 pm

Confidencia wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Speaking of journeys and destinations, it strikes me anecdotes are like personally drawn maps you get from a stranger when asking for directions? A published map is more like the peer reviewed/scientific process. Which one would you trust?

Waiting for somebody to draw you a picture bobbo? :lol: sounds about right. Needless to say the sheeple will stay hundled together only going where they are told to go.
I'd take the brave heart route and go over unchartered ground and get rid of the nipple. :lol:

Sheep don't ask for or follow maps. Like you and the subject????

Unnecessarily and ineffectually rude....I must say.........
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Confidencia
Poster

Postby Confidencia » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:52 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Speaking of journeys and destinations, it strikes me anecdotes are like personally drawn maps you get from a stranger when asking for directions? A published map is more like the peer reviewed/scientific process. Which one would you trust?

Waiting for somebody to draw you a picture bobbo? :lol: sounds about right. Needless to say the sheeple will stay hundled together only going where they are told to go.
I'd take the brave heart route and go over unchartered ground and get rid of the nipple. :lol:

Sheep don't ask for or follow maps. Like you and the subject????

Unnecessarily and ineffectually rude....I must say.........

No. They follow whoever will leads them.

Confidencia
Poster

Postby Confidencia » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:58 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:No, Shaka. You aren't wise, thoughtful and helpful, even though at times it seems that's at least one of your goals. You're acting in a selfish and rude manner, my friend.

What else can you talk about besides the usual nonsense you spew?

I never claim to be wise, thoughtful or even helpful. I only know myself as I am in reality. If you were wise, thoughtful and beyond the need of help you too would know.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:59 pm

What do you mean "No?"

Ahem: "the subject" to which reference to sheep means absolutely nothing except your failure to follow a line of reasoning was how the value/reliability of anecdotes could be demonstrated by maps.

Nothing to do with sheep.

Now..........prove me wrong and explain NO.......or simply recognize you made an error. A gentleman and honest scholar would post to such growth. A rare thing in this forum..........but.........you don't need to be a sheep.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Confidencia
Poster

Postby Confidencia » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:10 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:What do you mean "No?"

Ahem: "the subject" to which reference to sheep means absolutely nothing except your failure to follow a line of reasoning was how the value/reliability of anecdotes could be demonstrated by maps.

Nothing to do with sheep.

Now..........prove me wrong and explain NO.......or simply recognize you made an error. A gentleman and honest scholar would post to such growth. A rare thing in this forum..........but.........you don't need to be a sheep.

You grow only in awareness.

I know what you were trying to say bobbo obviously you didn't catch my drift . You are so wrapped up with the structure and formula of your language, so much so that you cannot go beyond its conventions. Gosh! And here's me thinking that ellard was the only pedant on this forum.

You have heard the saying "fight without fighting" well I'm going to give you another. It's called "Think without Thinking" :lol:

Oh and I'm sorry if I offended you, I was only gaming.
Last edited by Confidencia on Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:16 pm

So you are here to fight. Your reality seems pitiable, dear.
Hi, Io the lurker.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:23 pm

Conf: No.

.................not worth the effort. No engagement, just blather.

All yours eggs. Happy omelets.

Confidencia
Poster

Postby Confidencia » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:28 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:So you are here to fight. Your reality seems pitiable, dear.

It is your own reality you imagine. I've told you I'm not in the picture. I've told you from the start, we are here only to entertain ourselves. It is only a stop gap. When all is said and done what does it matter? When you are gone it all goes into oblivion and a new idea will form take shape and the same process will start all over again.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:34 pm

I saw and liked your edit but now you prove again you're gamy. "No accountability" is the usual cop-out of those who subscribe to what you confess and adhere to. Unsurprisingly. Grow up, child. :-D
Hi, Io the lurker.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:38 pm

Who are you guys talking to?
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:41 pm

To "Display this post."

. :-P
Hi, Io the lurker.

Confidencia
Poster

Postby Confidencia » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:50 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:I saw and liked your edit but now you prove again you're gamy. "No accountability" is the usual cop-out of those who subscribe to what you confess and adhere to. Unsurprisingly. Grow up, child. :-D

Since it is mostly accidental there is an element of surprise in all that happens. So to this end you will see and like what you want to see and like, perhaps even prove yourself gamy. Nevertheless all accounts tally and have already been settled on my part, the book has been closed. So there is no need for me to cop out of anything.

You are only dreaming scrim and in this dream you invent words like accountability and responsibility then look for somebody to pin them against.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:14 am

Perceptual reality is rooted in cosmic genes. Evolution is an ingredient of positive silence. True faith exists as unique molecules, and the human nervous system is a modality of potential human observation. That's why your heart self interacts with quantum sensations.

Duh. :roll:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Confidencia
Poster

Postby Confidencia » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:12 pm

Gord wrote:Perceptual reality is rooted in cosmic genes. Evolution is an ingredient of positive silence. True faith exists as unique molecules, and the human nervous system is a modality of potential human observation. That's why your heart self interacts with quantum sensations.

Duh. :roll:

:lol: and this is the reason why I like you Gord above the rest, oh and the fact that you have a beard.

Confidencia
Poster

Postby Confidencia » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:17 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Who are you guys talking to?

Just like you and I words arise in their mind and they hear them spoken. The speaker and its object is also part of the minds inventory.

Cygnus_X1
Frequent Poster

Postby Cygnus_X1 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:49 pm

Kamil wrote:Oftentimes in this thread when a believer of a supernatural cause or anything we can't explain yet gives an example, it is often met with "yeah but it's only an anecdote". Does this mean people who say this assume the anecdote is fabricated or made up? What if it's not intentionally made up?

I know...I think it's appalling. I mean, I had to wake myself from my slumber here at the UFO research base in Antarctica to back up why anecdote is great evidence. You'd never believe what we've found here. That's when we have time for research and the Anunnaki are not driving off our US military protectors with death rays and lots of fire and fury.
100,000 lemmings can't be wrong.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:25 pm

Cygnus_X1 wrote:
Kamil wrote:Oftentimes in this thread when a believer of a supernatural cause or anything we can't explain yet gives an example, it is often met with "yeah but it's only an anecdote". Does this mean people who say this assume the anecdote is fabricated or made up? What if it's not intentionally made up?

I know...I think it's appalling. I mean, I had to wake myself from my slumber here at the UFO research base in Antarctica to back up why anecdote is great evidence. You'd never believe what we've found here. That's when we have time for research and the Anunnaki are not driving off our US military protectors with death rays and lots of fire and fury.

:laff:
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:40 am

Confidencia wrote:... Honestly you, ellard and poodle I'm beginning to think you are three little girls. You three are the only ones who seem to have period tantrums. Why?

Eh? Here I am lying upon my sickbed (I'm a man, so it's REALLY sick) and I hear a call from ... Oh - it's just Shaka. Back to my high-temperature wanderings, then.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:53 am

Goodness, summer flu? Can we get you anything, Poodle? One of these for Shaka?
Hi, Io the lurker.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:31 pm

Oh, I wish...
No - it's gone on too long for flu. I've no idea what it is, but it has pretty colours sometimes, and it magically removes the ability to shout. Or even whisper. Or make sense of some posts. Or focus. Or eat.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:20 pm

:( You've seen the local witch for a potion, I presume?
Hi, Io the lurker.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:35 pm

Poodle wrote: Or make sense of some posts.

Ommagerd!!! A symptom of normality!
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:39 pm

:lol:
Hi, Io the lurker.

KevinLevites
Poster

Postby KevinLevites » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:42 am

I sometimes wonder if we are dangerously shortchanging ourselves by being dismissive of anecdotal evidence.

Edward Jenner discovered a beneficial smallpox vaccine (ie: cowpox) by listening to anecdotes from milkmaids.

I believe that we would be further ahead in fixing the AIDS crisis if some doctors had been more receptive to their gay patients.

Evidentally, physicians were dismissing vague complaints from gay men for years because homosexuality was a "mental illness" and these gay men were "neurotic" and "unbalanced". I believe that if these physicians had paid closer attention to the anecdotes of these gay men...the epidemic would have been recognized sooner.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:33 am

I didn't think anecdotal evidence is being entirely dismissed. It's just not accepted as the strongest or an only deciding factor?
Hi, Io the lurker.

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:16 pm

Anecdotal evidence can be a good reason to be interested and to go gather real evidence but it can't be used on its own to support a claim. We wouldn't have started a widespread smallpox vaccine campaign without first running trials to gather data to see if it worked.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:17 pm

KevinLevites wrote:I sometimes wonder if we are dangerously shortchanging ourselves by being dismissive of anecdotal evidence.

Edward Jenner discovered a beneficial smallpox vaccine (ie: cowpox) by listening to anecdotes from milkmaids.

I believe that we would be further ahead in fixing the AIDS crisis if some doctors had been more receptive to their gay patients.

Evidentally, physicians were dismissing vague complaints from gay men for years because homosexuality was a "mental illness" and these gay men were "neurotic" and "unbalanced". I believe that if these physicians had paid closer attention to the anecdotes of these gay men...the epidemic would have been recognized sooner.

Jenner confirmed the rumors the milkmaids told. Without his work they'd still be unsubstantiated rumors.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Return to “UFOs, Cryptozoology, and The Paranormal”