Opinion on these "proven" Psychic mediums?

PSI, Mediums, Ghosts, UFOs, Things That Go Bump In The Night
Kamil
Poster

Opinion on these "proven" Psychic mediums?

Postby Kamil » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:30 pm

Alex Tsakiris recently interviewed a researcher, who claimed with double blind protocols, that this test proved psychic ability. What is your opinion?

http://skeptiko.com/psychic-medium-test ... onditions/

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: Opinion on these "proven" Psychic mediums?

Postby Gord » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:38 pm

I'm not sure if Alex Tsakiris understands enough about science to make any claims:

https://pseudoastro.wordpress.com/2009/ ... n-science/
https://pseudoastro.wordpress.com/2010/ ... d-science/
https://pseudoastro.wordpress.com/2011/ ... doscience/

But who knows? Maybe he's learned how to "science" in the past 6 years.

I predict disappointment, though, so I'll wait for his study to appear in a peer-reviewed journal rather than visiting his website...because I'm lazy and like to have others filter out the crap before I bother reading any "scientific" claim.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:08 pm

Kamil wrote:Alex Tsakiris recently interviewed a researcher, who claimed with double blind protocols, that this test proved psychic ability. What is your opinion?
There is no experiment defined in that link to a pro-woo website.

Find us the actual science papers, otherwise you are just the same as Gorgeous.

Kamil
Poster

Postby Kamil » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:09 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Kamil wrote:Alex Tsakiris recently interviewed a researcher, who claimed with double blind protocols, that this test proved psychic ability. What is your opinion?

I'm not saying I believe it , I'm just asking other ppl for opinions

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:13 pm

What can you tell us about those "tightest conditions"?

Lard, save me from your followers.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:18 pm

Kamil wrote: I'm not saying I believe it
No one believes you Kamil. You were pretending to be a Polish Roman catholic, in Poland, whose faith is in doubt because of NDEs. You are now dropping that act and going full "woo" spamming.
Polish question.jpg

Kamil wrote: I'm just asking other ppl for opinions
Then go do some research and find the actual science papers for us to review, rather than link to their propaganda websites like Gorgeous does.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:29 am

The article provides a link to the study, so I clicked it. It's a 404. I'm not surprised.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:02 am

I guess you dodged a bullet there, Nikki.

Lard, save me from your followers.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:37 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:It's a 404.

It seems to have a redirect attached to it. I've removed it here, so you can access the article's abstract: http://www.explorejournal.com/article/S ... 3/abstract

Anomalous Information Reception by Research Mediums Under Blinded Conditions II: Replication and Extension

...This study was designed to replicate and extend a previous methodology achieving positive findings regarding the anomalous reception of information about deceased individuals by research mediums under experimental conditions that eliminate conventional explanations, including cold reading, rater bias, experimenter cueing, and fraud....

...Mediumship readings were performed over the phone under blinded conditions in which mediums, raters, and experimenters were all blinded....

...A total of 20 Windbridge Certified Research Mediums WCRMs participated in 86 readings....

Yeesh. Reminds me of this: http://oglaf.com/double-blind/
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:04 am

Thanks, Gord! I did notice the redirect, but didn't feel compelled to chase it.

Design
Mediumship readings were performed over the phone under blinded conditions in which mediums, raters, and experimenters were all blinded.
Good grief! That seems rather extreme. I hope they were careful to avoid causing brain damage...more than what already existed, that is.

Participants
A total of 20 Windbridge Certified Research Mediums WCRMs participated in 86 readings.
:rotfl: "Certified Research Mediums"...lol. Wait...shouldn't that be "media?"

Results
(1) Comparisons between blinded target and decoy readings regarding the estimated percentage accuracy of reading items (n = 27, P = .05, d = 0.49), (2) comparisons regarding the calculated percentage accuracy of reading items (n = 31, P = .002, d = 0.75), (3) comparisons regarding hits vs. misses (n = 31, P < .0001 and P = .002 for different reading sections), (4) comparisons regarding global scores (n = 58, P = .001, d = 0.57), and (5) forced-choice reading selections between blinded target and decoy readings (n = 58, P = .01)
Be nice if they defined their variables. If n=number and P=percentage, their calculations are way off. No idea what d is. Edit: Is P probability? Also, I found d in behavioral science.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:14 am

scrmbldggs wrote:I guess you dodged a bullet there, Nikki.

Thank you. That was my point and how lovely it was of Kamil to get up at 2AM in Poland, to post this for us two minutes before Omniverse posted from the USA. :lol:

"The Journal of Science & Healing is a bimonthly peer-reviewed interdisciplinary journal that publishes papers on alternative medicine. It was established in 2005 and is published by Elsevier. The executive editor is faith healing advocate Larry Dossey, and the co-editors-in-chief are hypnotherapist, acupuncturist, and herbalist Benjamin Kligler,

Other gem articles include

"Predictors of Yoga Use Among Patients With Breast Cancer"
"Randomized Expectancy-Enhanced Placebo-Controlled Trial of the Impact of Quantum BioEnergetic Distant Healing and Paranormal Belief on Mood Disturbance: A Pilot Study"
"Reinventing the Sacred: A New View of Science, Reason, and Religion"
"Energy Healers: Who They Are and What They Do"

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:21 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:Other gem articles include

"Predictors of Yoga Use Among Patients With Breast Cancer"
WTactualF is the point of this garbage? Who cares, and of what use is this information to anyone?

"Randomized Expectancy-Enhanced Placebo-Controlled Trial of the Impact of Quantum BioEnergetic Distant Healing and Paranormal Belief on Mood Disturbance: A Pilot Study"
Conclusion: Both subjects and experimenters are, indeed, disturbed.

"Reinventing the Sacred: A New View of Science, Reason, and Religion"
"I Want a New Drug"

"Energy Healers: Who They Are and What They Do"
They're scam artists who take your money and provide you with absolutely nothing. Alternately, it's a weird name for 'electrician.'

Confidencia
Poster

Postby Confidencia » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:34 am

Gord wrote:
I predict disappointment.

Disappointment will always be the case where preconception is concerned, they foster each other. It is not the name sake which holds true but the power that drives it. Take away the name and where does your scientific research stand?

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:13 pm

. . . a rose by any other name . . .
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Monster » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:43 pm

Hey, that's great. That means it's replicable. Any replicable experiment involving psychic powers will spawn an entirely new branch of scientific research.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:02 pm

Kamil wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:

I'm not saying I believe it , I'm just asking other ppl for opinions

con·cern trol·ling
noun informal derogatory
the action or practice of disingenuously expressing concern about an issue in order to undermine or derail genuine discussion.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Return to “UFOs, Cryptozoology, and The Paranormal”