NDEs are not always the same new research shows

PSI, Mediums, Ghosts, UFOs, Things That Go Bump In The Night
User avatar
Shen1986
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2884
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:47 am

NDEs are not always the same new research shows

Postby Shen1986 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:17 pm

I found this new research which shows that NDEs are quite not like some people claim. They are not even in chronological order like they should be. Here is the research: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 102934.htm

The best part is this:

Overall, the most commonly shared experienced order of occurrences was: out-of-body experience, experiencing a tunnel, seeing a bright light, and finally feeling of peace. This sequence of events was reported by 6 (22%) of the participants. Although pairwise connections between different types of experiences were found in terms of how likely they were to follow each other chronologically, no universal sequence of events could be established in this sample of narratives, which suggests that each near-death-experience has a unique pattern of events.

"Our findings suggest that near-death-experiences may not feature all elements, and elements do not seem to appear in a fixed order.


Source: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 102934.htm

They used 154 people and only 6 reported it in this order which is again strange. If NDEs were not a hallucination they would at least have a fixed chronological order but no. They again do not have it. They are not so chronological like those who propagate them make it sound. So the best conclusion to this is that some people had one or two of these features and the rest is added after it. After they read about it or remembered they read about NDEs and created the narrative with others who had similar experiences and then release a book or story to feel special.
"Death Dies Hard." - Deathstars.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29411
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: NDEs are not always the same new research shows

Postby Gord » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:42 pm

Shen1986 wrote:
...This sequence of events was reported by 6 (22%) of the participants....

They used 154 people and only 6 reported it in this order which is again strange....

6 is not 22% of 154, it's 22% of 27.

6 out of 154 is only 3.9%.
Last edited by Gord on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3275
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:21 pm
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Re: NDEs are not always the same new research shows

Postby ElectricMonk » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:45 pm

Obviously, souls enter Heaven or Hell via different routes.
Sometimes, there is just too much congestion at the Pearly Gates.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4209
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: NDEs are not always the same new research shows

Postby gorgeous » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:20 pm

If NDEs were not a hallucination they would at least have a fixed chronological order but no. -----says who??-----------------------So the best conclusion to this is that some people had one or two of these features and the rest is added after it. After they read about it or remembered they read about NDEs and created the narrative with others who had similar experiences and then release a book or story to feel special.-----where is the evidence...how do you know how they feel??
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26754
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: NDEs are not always the same new research shows

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:33 pm

gorgeous wrote:-----says who??----------------------
The research Shen linked to, that you refused to read. :lol:

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4209
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: NDEs are not always the same new research shows

Postby gorgeous » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:37 pm

no evidence of hallucination
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26754
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: NDEs are not always the same new research shows

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:47 pm

gorgeous wrote:no evidence of hallucination
No Gorgeous. It is is in all the science papers that we have linked, that you refuse to read. :lol:

Near-Death Experiences Explained by Science
https://www.livescience.com/16019-death ... ained.html

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: NDEs are not always the same new research shows

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:25 am

gorgeous wrote:If NDEs were not a hallucination they would at least have a fixed chronological order but no. -----says who??-----------------------
Say the people in the study who experienced NDEs, you ninny. Had you read the linked article, you would have known this. :roll:

gorgeous wrote:So the best conclusion to this is that some people had one or two of these features and the rest is added after it. After they read about it or remembered they read about NDEs and created the narrative with others who had similar experiences and then release a book or story to feel special.-----where is the evidence...how do you know how they feel??
It's not about how they feel! The point is that the overwhelming majority of people are just making the {!#%@} up based on NDE stories they've heard! This is why anecdotal narrative is NOT evidence.

Here's how to better understand the concepts presented here:
1. Go get your vacuum cleaner.
2. Reverse it to blow instead of suck.
3. Put it up to one of your ears.
4. Blow the cobwebs out of your skull. :heh:
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Shen1986
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2884
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:47 am

Re: NDEs are not always the same new research shows

Postby Shen1986 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:23 am

The whole study is here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5469194/

One of the tables shows the chronology of the experience. It is quite mangled and shows what is written by me in the OP: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... /table/T3/

This study shows that NDEs are even a bigger mess then the literature from New Age tries to sell. Its like a normal hallucination or sleep with random chronological orders.
"Death Dies Hard." - Deathstars.

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 309
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: NDEs are not always the same new research shows

Postby Confidencia » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:30 am

Shen1986 wrote:The whole study is here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5469194/

One of the tables shows the chronology of the experience. It is quite mangled and shows what is written by me in the OP: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... /table/T3/

This study shows that NDEs are even a bigger mess then the literature from New Age tries to sell. Its like a normal hallucination or sleep with random chronological orders.


:roll: Do you ever have a bolt of inspiration where you think for yourself Shen, is convention your only mode of thought?

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4209
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: NDEs are not always the same new research shows

Postby gorgeous » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:50 am

shen said they need to feel special so they make it up...could say that about all of you....making up theories on stuff you don't understand...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Shen1986
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2884
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:47 am

Re: NDEs are not always the same new research shows

Postby Shen1986 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:09 am

gorgeous wrote:shen said they need to feel special so they make it up...could say that about all of you....making up theories on stuff you don't understand...


Confidencia wrote:
Shen1986 wrote:The whole study is here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5469194/

One of the tables shows the chronology of the experience. It is quite mangled and shows what is written by me in the OP: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... /table/T3/

This study shows that NDEs are even a bigger mess then the literature from New Age tries to sell. Its like a normal hallucination or sleep with random chronological orders.


:roll: Do you ever have a bolt of inspiration where you think for yourself Shen, is convention your only mode of thought?


Wow double combo from two people who reply in a fashion like Deepak Chopra. I am a amazed. I had to hit a nerve here. Also gorgeous unlike you I read what I post. Guess what? I have a inspiration now Confidencia. You two should go on a date. I think with both of your world views you would make a great couple. :lol:
"Death Dies Hard." - Deathstars.

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 309
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: NDEs are not always the same new research shows

Postby Confidencia » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:52 am

Shen1986 wrote:
gorgeous wrote:shen said they need to feel special so they make it up...could say that about all of you....making up theories on stuff you don't understand...


Confidencia wrote:
Shen1986 wrote:The whole study is here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5469194/

One of the tables shows the chronology of the experience. It is quite mangled and shows what is written by me in the OP: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... /table/T3/

This study shows that NDEs are even a bigger mess then the literature from New Age tries to sell. Its like a normal hallucination or sleep with random chronological orders.


:roll: Do you ever have a bolt of inspiration where you think for yourself Shen, is convention your only mode of thought?


Wow double combo from two people who reply in a fashion like Deepak Chopra. I am a amazed. I had to hit a nerve here. Also gorgeous unlike you I read what I post. Guess what? I have a inspiration now Confidencia. You two should go on a date. I think with both of your world views you would make a great couple. :lol:


If there's any truth in it it's worth repeating. However allowing the repetitive function of brain consciousness to work its magic every time you post does not say much for your stance in critical thinking. You are like a needle stuck in a vinyl grove. There are other modes of thought that cover a wider range of perceivable with which you can play with. Why do you confine yourself to the little streams of convention that spawn out of ignorance?

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 309
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: NDEs are not always the same new research shows

Postby Confidencia » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:32 pm

Confidencia wrote:
Shen1986 wrote:
gorgeous wrote:shen said they need to feel special so they make it up...could say that about all of you....making up theories on stuff you don't understand...


Confidencia wrote:
Shen1986 wrote:The whole study is here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5469194/

One of the tables shows the chronology of the experience. It is quite mangled and shows what is written by me in the OP: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... /table/T3/

This study shows that NDEs are even a bigger mess then the literature from New Age tries to sell. Its like a normal hallucination or sleep with random chronological orders.


:roll: Do you ever have a bolt of inspiration where you think for yourself Shen, is convention your only mode of thought?


Wow double combo from two people who reply in a fashion like Deepak Chopra. I am a amazed. I had to hit a nerve here. Also gorgeous unlike you I read what I post. Guess what? I have a inspiration now Confidencia. You two should go on a date. I think with both of your world views you would make a great couple. :lol:


If there's any truth in it it's worth repeating. However allowing the repetitive function of brain consciousness to work its magic every time you post does not say much for your stance in critical thinking. You are like a needle stuck in a vinyl grove. There are other modes of thought that cover a wider range of perceivables with which you can play with. Why do you confine yourself to the little streams of convention that spawn out of ignorance?

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29411
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: NDEs are not always the same new research shows

Postby Gord » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:20 pm

Shen1986 wrote:I have a inspiration now Confidencia. You two should go on a date.

Noooooo!! What if it turns out Confidencia is female?! They could mate!!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26754
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: NDEs are not always the same new research shows

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:13 pm

Confidencia wrote: Do you ever have a bolt of inspiration where you think for yourself Shen, is convention your only mode of thought?
Shen gets results. You only repeat Deepak Chopra quotes. You are an outdated waste of space.

You really can't grasp that concept can you?
:lol:

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19743
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: NDEs are not always the same new research shows

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:15 pm

As Shen said, he's hit a nerve. :lol:
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

Kamil
Poster
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:44 am

Re: NDEs are not always the same new research shows

Postby Kamil » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:05 am

Shen is the man

User avatar
Shen1986
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2884
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:47 am

Re: NDEs are not always the same new research shows

Postby Shen1986 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:51 am

For such a strong conscious - spiritual person Confidencia like you claim you are really needing for attention because you double posted and this is not a error its done on purpose by your posting time:

First post: by Confidencia » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:52 pm

Second post: by Confidencia » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:32 pm

If you are so educated like you claim this would not hit your nerve so much that you needed to double post. As for your reply I have nothing to say to this because its nonsense and you did not get what I am saying in my posts.
"Death Dies Hard." - Deathstars.

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 309
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: NDEs are not always the same new research shows

Postby Confidencia » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:00 am

Shen1986 wrote:For such a strong conscious - spiritual person Confidencia like you claim you are really needing for attention because you double posted and this is not a error its done on purpose by your posting time:

First post: by Confidencia » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:52 pm

Second post: by Confidencia » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:32 pm

If you are so educated like you claim this would not hit your nerve so much that you needed to double post. As for your reply I have nothing to say to this because its nonsense and you did not get what I am saying in my posts.


Attaboy! Here's two more stars for your note book, you can go to the top of your class.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Posts: 10510
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: NDEs are not always the same new research shows

Postby OlegTheBatty » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:08 pm

Gord wrote:
Shen1986 wrote:I have a inspiration now Confidencia. You two should go on a date.

Noooooo!! What if it turns out Confidencia is female?! They could mate!!


Their species is an r-selection strategist. You may step on the offspring.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4209
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: NDEs are not always the same new research shows

Postby gorgeous » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:17 pm

idiots...nde's are real...there's a whole world you have forgotten...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4209
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: NDEs are not always the same new research shows

Postby gorgeous » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:18 pm

kamil and shen should mate ...make one big ignorant kamshen...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.


Return to “UFOs, Cryptozoology, and The Paranormal”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests