The Shroud Of Turin

PSI, Mediums, Ghosts, UFOs, Things That Go Bump In The Night
Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26342
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:58 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:Salomed only dislikes Matthew and me because we poke rational holes in his irrational, emotional arguments. I've no idea why the rest of you escape his nyah-nyahs, since you do the same.


Salomed already left the forum with his tail between his legs, after he tried to claim the Star child skull was evidence of aliens. (It is a hydrocephalic child's skull). Salomed then disappeared for a year before returning with his claim that an Elizabethan typesetter hid magic shapes in his printed version of a contemporary book of Sonnets, that just happened to be by Shakespeare. :D
Star child.jpg
starchild.jpg


Salomed is just like Gorgeous. He simply spreads "woo" propaganda to get attention.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:10 am

Starchild?! :rotfl: Funny, I actually glanced at the photos before reading your comment...and automatically thought "hydrocephalus." Rather disingenuous of them to compare it to a normal adult skull. :roll:

I have difficulty understanding people who ignore the awesomeness of the scientific world in favor of conspiracy theories, hoaxes, and supernatural nonsense. You don't have to believe there's a leprechaun with a pot of gold in order to be awed be a rainbow, FFS. If you do, there's something wrong with you, IMO. The real world is endlessly fascinating and includes infinite mysteries to keep us occupied without inventing garbage that defies logic.

I just spent 15 minutes standing at the window waiting for my two juvenile red foxes to show up, but was disappointed. Sunday night, my daughter took a two-hour drive in hopes of seeing the aurora borealis, which was scheduled to make a rare midsummer appearance in New England. There's your magic. Just look around.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
salomed
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1243
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:18 pm
Custom Title: Cartesian Skeptic

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby salomed » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:32 am

scrmbldggs wrote:It would seem that there's little to no interest in this issue anymore. IIRC, the matter has been looked at and found wanting. The only question would be why you are warming up such an old canard here?


It is far from closed and there is still a very interested community interested in it.
Comment savez-vous que vous ne parlez pas bollox?
Sur internet: http://bit.ly/14A0n9H

User avatar
salomed
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1243
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:18 pm
Custom Title: Cartesian Skeptic

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby salomed » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:33 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:Salomed only dislikes Matthew and me because we poke rational holes in his irrational, emotional arguments. I've no idea why the rest of you escape his nyah-nyahs, since you do the same.


Salomed already left the forum with his tail between his legs, after he tried to claim the Star child skull was evidence of aliens. (It is a hydrocephalic child's skull). Salomed then disappeared for a year before returning with his claim that an Elizabethan typesetter hid magic shapes in his printed version of a contemporary book of Sonnets, that just happened to be by Shakespeare. :D
Star child.jpgstarchild.jpg

Salomed is just like Gorgeous. He simply spreads "woo" propaganda to get attention.


Oh No, I am still very interested in that! I do not think it was human.
Comment savez-vous que vous ne parlez pas bollox?
Sur internet: http://bit.ly/14A0n9H

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26342
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:49 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:Salomed already left the forum with his tail between his legs, after he tried to claim the Star child skull was evidence of aliens. (It is a hydrocephalic child's skull). :D
salomed wrote:Oh No, I am still very interested in that! I do not think it was human.
That's because you are just like Gorgeous.....spreading debunked "woo" propaganda. :lol:

"Neurologist Steven Novella of Yale University Medical School says that the cranium exhibits all of the characteristics of a child who has died as a result of congenital hydrocephalus, and the cranial deformations were the result of accumulations of cerebrospinal fluid within the skull."

"DNA testing in 1999 at BOLD (Bureau of Legal Dentistry), a forensic DNA lab in Vancouver, British Columbia, found standard X and Y chromosomes in two samples taken from the skull. Novella considers this "conclusive evidence" that the child was both male and human, and that both of his parents must have been human in order for each to have contributed one of the human sex chromosomes"

So Salomed thinks aliens have human DNA with human X & Y chromosomes. :lol:

User avatar
salomed
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1243
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:18 pm
Custom Title: Cartesian Skeptic

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby salomed » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:36 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:Salomed already left the forum with his tail between his legs, after he tried to claim the Star child skull was evidence of aliens. (It is a hydrocephalic child's skull). :D
salomed wrote:Oh No, I am still very interested in that! I do not think it was human.
That's because you are just like Gorgeous.....spreading debunked "woo" propaganda. :lol:

"Neurologist Steven Novella of Yale University Medical School says that the cranium exhibits all of the characteristics of a child who has died as a result of congenital hydrocephalus, and the cranial deformations were the result of accumulations of cerebrospinal fluid within the skull."

"DNA testing in 1999 at BOLD (Bureau of Legal Dentistry), a forensic DNA lab in Vancouver, British Columbia, found standard X and Y chromosomes in two samples taken from the skull. Novella considers this "conclusive evidence" that the child was both male and human, and that both of his parents must have been human in order for each to have contributed one of the human sex chromosomes"

So Salomed thinks aliens have human DNA with human X & Y chromosomes. :lol:


Yes yes, I was aware of this test years ago. We probably even discussed it here? But hydrocephalus doesn't explain it's physical features.
Comment savez-vous que vous ne parlez pas bollox?
Sur internet: http://bit.ly/14A0n9H

User avatar
Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4806
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:22 pm
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk
Location: Detroit
Contact:

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby Austin Harper » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:50 am

Which features, specifically, doesn't hydrocephalus explain?
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

User avatar
salomed
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1243
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:18 pm
Custom Title: Cartesian Skeptic

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby salomed » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:07 pm

Austin Harper wrote:Which features, specifically, doesn't hydrocephalus explain?



Maybe some of these?

SUMMARY OF THE STARCHILD’S PHYSICAL ANOMALIES

Its bone is half as thick as it should be and it weighs half as much.
Its bone is two-to-three times more durable than it should be.
That durability is due to three absolutely unique physical characteristics. (a) Its chemical makeup is more like tooth enamel than normal human bone. (b) It contains much more collagen than is found in normal human bone. (c) Durable fibers are somehow woven throughout the bone’s matrix. (i) These fibers are unknown in any other species on earth.
A red residue found in its cancellous holes is not found in any other species.
Its eye sockets are utterly unlike the eye sockets of normal humans.
It has no trace of frontal sinuses; humans always have at least vestiges of them.
It has a “crease” along its saggital suture that is not found in normal humans.
It does not have the brow ridge that is found in all other higher primates.
It has no “dip” downward from its missing brow ridge to form its nose.
Its inner ears are at least twice the size of normal human inner ears.
It does not have the inion that is found in all other primates on earth.
Its neck is oval-shaped and half the size and volume of a normal human neck.
Its foramen magnum opening is shifted well forward from normal humans.
Its balance point is centered under its physical mass while humans are off-center.
Its chewing muscles cover only half of the surface area of a normal human.
Its brain is fully 1/3 larger and thus heavier than it should be for its cranial size.
Gravity should have squeezed its oversized brain out of the foramen magnum. (a) A lack of any such squeezing indicates its brain was made of denser material.
The lacuna pits scattered across the surface of its bone are completely missing.
Its maxilla held worn mature teeth and impacted teeth, which humans do not have.
The Starchild's tooth exhibits “crazing,” dark vertical lines in the enamel; and pitting on the crowns.
No child can generate so much torque while chewing. This is strong proof that the Starchild was an adult when it died.
Its mouth was infant sized with a flat roof that indicates a small or missing tongue.
Its lower face was extremely small and narrow, perhaps only the size of an infant.
It does not conform to any known human deformity or any combination of them.

Thank's Internet!:)

BTW The investigation is on hold while some legal eagles and beagles decide on ownership and further testing. Or something like that.
Comment savez-vous que vous ne parlez pas bollox?
Sur internet: http://bit.ly/14A0n9H

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Posts: 10406
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby OlegTheBatty » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:49 pm

salomed wrote: But hydrocephalus doesn't explain it's physical features.


Please provide us with an alien's skull so we can determine if the physical features of the star child skull can be explained by alien origin.

The "In my ignorant layman's experience with hydrocephaly deformations augmented by internet gibberish it can't be hydrocephalus therefore aliens" argument does not hold water.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:59 pm

salomed wrote:SUMMARY OF THE STARCHILD’S PHYSICAL ANOMALIES
Thank's Internet!:)

No links to any of the tests that show these alleged anomalies. But you're mistaken about some of them. You've used the phrase "normal human" a number of times; you do understand that this child had several congenital defects, yes? And that it was a product of its culture as well?
——————————
salomed wrote:It has no trace of frontal sinuses; humans always have at least vestiges of them.

The frontal sinus begins as an evagination of the anterior nasal capsule around the fourth month of fetal development, but it is rarely radiographically visible until around the second year of life and does not reach adult size until the teenage years. Great variability in size exists, and approximately 5% of people have absent frontal sinuses. LINK

——————————
salomed wrote:Its maxilla held worn mature teeth and impacted teeth, which humans do not have.
The Starchild's tooth exhibits “crazing,” dark vertical lines in the enamel; and pitting on the crowns.
No child can generate so much torque while chewing. This is strong proof that the Starchild was an adult when it died.

The skeletal changes in Osteitis Fibrosa Cystica are the most prominent of changes at the sites of increased bone activity: phalanges, skull bones, ends of long bones, and trabecular bones of the vertebrae. Imaging studies play key roles in the diagnosis of OFC. Plain radiographs of bones are useful and may show thin bones, bowing, cysts, and fractures. The lesions are characterized by well-defined areas of radiolucency with cortical expansion accompanied with bone destruction. Plain radiographs of the jaw bone also reveal certain dental changes noted in OFC including the characteristic "ground glass appearance" of the jaw bones caused by extensive demineralization of the medullary bones of the jaw and extensive loss of lamina dura surrounding the roots of the teeth. LINK

——————————
salomed wrote:Its eye sockets are utterly unlike the eye sockets of normal humans.

Exophthalmos is a condition in which the eyeballs are positioned shallowly within the eye sockets. Considerable portions of the eyeballs may protrude from the orbit. Exophthalmos is caused by a disproportion between the orbital bony volume and the volume of the eye and is most frequently found congenitally (present at birth) in craniofacial syndromes such as Apert, Crouzon, and Saethre-Chotzen. LINK

——————————
salomed wrote:It does not have the brow ridge that is found in all other higher primates.
It has no “dip” downward from its missing brow ridge to form its nose.
It does not have the inion that is found in all other primates on earth.
It has a “crease” along its saggital suture that is not found in normal humans.

Depends what you consider normal.
Thanks, Internet! :mrgreen:
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26342
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:24 am

salomed wrote:Yes yes, But hydrocephalus doesn't explain it's physical features.
"Neurologist Steven Novella of Yale University Medical School says that the cranium exhibits all of the characteristics of a child who has died as a result of congenital hydrocephalus"

Are you mentally retarded, Salomed? :lol:

User avatar
salomed
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1243
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:18 pm
Custom Title: Cartesian Skeptic

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby salomed » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:56 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
salomed wrote:Yes yes, But hydrocephalus doesn't explain it's physical features.
"Neurologist Steven Novella of Yale University Medical School says that the cranium exhibits all of the characteristics of a child who has died as a result of congenital hydrocephalus"

Are you mentally retarded, Salomed? :lol:


MatthewNikki, you really love to hate, don't ya. And yes, at school there was talk of me going in the class for ESN pupils.
Comment savez-vous que vous ne parlez pas bollox?
Sur internet: http://bit.ly/14A0n9H

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8097
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby Poodle » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:18 am

Salomed, you really must get rid of this victim posture. No one here knows you, so it's difficult to throw hate around. It's your theories which are being ridiculed, and you provide the forum with lots of ammunition in multiple threads. What you see as hate is actually frustration with your cavalier attitude towards evidence.

User avatar
salomed
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1243
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:18 pm
Custom Title: Cartesian Skeptic

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby salomed » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:39 am

Poodle wrote:Salomed, you really must get rid of this victim posture. No one here knows you, so it's difficult to throw hate around. It's your theories which are being ridiculed, and you provide the forum with lots of ammunition in multiple threads. What you see as hate is actually frustration with your cavalier attitude towards evidence.


I don't mind it and don't feel the victim. But when, for example, Ellard spends time to make a picture of my execution and makes other threats I am forced to conclude he has some sad hate issues.
Comment savez-vous que vous ne parlez pas bollox?
Sur internet: http://bit.ly/14A0n9H

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8097
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby Poodle » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:24 pm

Matthew is a pushover for cats. He's so macho he laughed at himself for winning a fight with a house burglar who turned out to be a woman. He certainly has a way with put-downs, but he takes them just as well. And he IS Australian. Give him some slack.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19623
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:34 pm

They roam in their undies down under?
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8097
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby Poodle » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:54 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:They roam in their undies down under?

... And wrestle with spiders and sharks ...

Next line's yours ...

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:04 pm

salomed wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:
salomed wrote:Yes yes, But hydrocephalus doesn't explain it's physical features.
"Neurologist Steven Novella of Yale University Medical School says that the cranium exhibits all of the characteristics of a child who has died as a result of congenital hydrocephalus"

Are you mentally retarded, Salomed? :lol:


MatthewNikki, you really love to hate, don't ya. And yes, at school there was talk of me going in the class for ESN pupils.

Hate? I've said nothing hateful. I've addressed several of the specific points you've raised by offering medical evidence. WTF is your problem?
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19623
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:05 pm

Salomed doesn't like being proven wrong, Nikki. :pardon:
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19623
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:08 pm

Poodle wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:They roam in their undies down under?

... And wrestle with spiders and sharks ...

Next line's yours ...


Their wort in the copper heaves in roiling thunder...
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:33 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Salomed doesn't like being proven wrong, Nikki. :pardon:

Well, it's silly to come to a skeptics' forum if you're a wooist who dislikes being proven wrong. It's like a someone with a peanut allergy eating peanut butter, then bitching about the resulting anaphylactic reaction. :roll:
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
salomed
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1243
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:18 pm
Custom Title: Cartesian Skeptic

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby salomed » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:50 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:Salomed doesn't like being proven wrong, Nikki. :pardon:

Well, it's silly to come to a skeptics' forum if you're a wooist who dislikes being proven wrong. It's like a someone with a peanut allergy eating peanut butter, then bitching about the resulting anaphylactic reaction. :roll:



You see, it isn't like that. I haven't been proved wrong about much. You arrogant egoist cynics, you don't understand the concept of certainty because of your own cognitive dissonance. You think you are certain you are certain, a pathetic, arrogant entrenchment.

You do not prove, you shout and proclaim, zealously, and think you are so right and find being wrong so hard. I am often wrong, so much, that comes with being an open minded true skeptic, not some internet cynic who hides behind the wall of information provided by your tiresome google searches.
Comment savez-vous que vous ne parlez pas bollox?
Sur internet: http://bit.ly/14A0n9H

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:47 pm

salomed wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:Salomed doesn't like being proven wrong, Nikki. :pardon:

Well, it's silly to come to a skeptics' forum if you're a wooist who dislikes being proven wrong. It's like a someone with a peanut allergy eating peanut butter, then bitching about the resulting anaphylactic reaction. :roll:
You see, it isn't like that. I haven't been proved wrong about much. You arrogant egoist cynics, you don't understand the concept of certainty because of your own cognitive dissonance. You think you are certain you are certain, a pathetic, arrogant entrenchment.

You do not prove, you shout and proclaim, zealously, and think you are so right and find being wrong so hard. I am often wrong, so much, that comes with being an open minded true skeptic, not some internet cynic who hides behind the wall of information provided by your tiresome google searches.
It is exactly like that. You have been proven wrong about every single concept you've brought into this forum; you just refuse to accept it. So your refuge is the insult, which encompasses the rest of your pathetic post here. Go {!#%@} yourself with a right triangle.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8097
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby Poodle » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:51 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Poodle wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:They roam in their undies down under?

... And wrestle with spiders and sharks ...

Next line's yours ...


Their wort in the copper heaves in roiling thunder...

Doesn't scan!

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8097
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby Poodle » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:57 pm

salomed wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:Salomed doesn't like being proven wrong, Nikki. :pardon:

Well, it's silly to come to a skeptics' forum if you're a wooist who dislikes being proven wrong. It's like a someone with a peanut allergy eating peanut butter, then bitching about the resulting anaphylactic reaction. :roll:



You see, it isn't like that. I haven't been proved wrong about much. You arrogant egoist cynics, you don't understand the concept of certainty because of your own cognitive dissonance. You think you are certain you are certain, a pathetic, arrogant entrenchment.

You do not prove, you shout and proclaim, zealously, and think you are so right and find being wrong so hard. I am often wrong, so much, that comes with being an open minded true skeptic, not some internet cynic who hides behind the wall of information provided by your tiresome google searches.

I decided a little while ago that I was, perhaps, being too aggressive towards you, salomed, so I quite intentionally adopted a more conciliatory style. Your reaction is the above - a childish, name-calling diatribe with zero content. Well, you've begged for it. I will continue to attempt the difficult course of being vaguely polite to you, but I doubt I'll be able to hold it all in. As far as I can see, you deserve everything you get. Enjoy.

User avatar
salomed
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1243
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:18 pm
Custom Title: Cartesian Skeptic

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby salomed » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:04 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:Go {!#%@} yourself with a right triangle.


:)
Comment savez-vous que vous ne parlez pas bollox?
Sur internet: http://bit.ly/14A0n9H

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19623
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:53 pm

Poodle wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:
Poodle wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:They roam in their undies down under?

... And wrestle with spiders and sharks ...

Next line's yours ...


Their wort in the copper heaves in roiling thunder...

Doesn't scan!

:scratch:... . Image
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:00 pm

salomed wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:Go {!#%@} yourself with a right triangle.
You are the same person/group as Ellard.
You're neither observant nor logical. Matthew wouldn't say such a thing; he'd merely call you "a complete idiot." Nor would he sacrifice a night's sleep to insult you. You're not remotely important enough. We are not the same person, but we do belong to the same group: check the name of the forum.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
salomed
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1243
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:18 pm
Custom Title: Cartesian Skeptic

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby salomed » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:03 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:
salomed wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:Go {!#%@} yourself with a right triangle.
You are the same person/group as Ellard.
You're neither observant nor logical. Matthew wouldn't say such a thing; he'd merely call you "a complete idiot." Nor would he sacrifice a night's sleep to insult you. You're not remotely important enough. We are not the same person, but we do belong to the same group: check the name of the forum.


I think you are. I might be wrong. I dont really care.
Comment savez-vous que vous ne parlez pas bollox?
Sur internet: http://bit.ly/14A0n9H

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8097
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby Poodle » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:22 pm

You're wrong. You should care.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:28 pm

salomed wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:
salomed wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:Go {!#%@} yourself with a right triangle.
You are the same person/group as Ellard.
You're neither observant nor logical. Matthew wouldn't say such a thing; he'd merely call you "a complete idiot." Nor would he sacrifice a night's sleep to insult you. You're not remotely important enough. We are not the same person, but we do belong to the same group: check the name of the forum.
I think you are.
You don't think; you just believe in whatever fantasy takes your fancy.
salomed wrote:I might be wrong.
Since I'm not an Australian man named Matthew, you are wrong.
salomed wrote:I dont really care.
A blatant lie, since you repeatedly raise the issue.

I strongly recommend a trip to your local university. Once there, visit the Registrar's office and enroll in the next available session of Logic 101. You have a dire need to learn how to think critically.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29080
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby Gord » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:27 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:I strongly recommend a trip to your local university psych ward.

Fixed it for ya.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26342
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:23 am

Nikki Nyx wrote: Well, it's silly to come to a skeptics' forum if you're a wooist who dislikes being proven wrong. It's like a someone with a peanut allergy eating peanut butter, then bitching about the resulting anaphylactic reaction. :roll:


And that defines what is clearly going on and meant to be going on.

The Skeptic Society forum is populated by skeptics who debunk bad, stupid and ridiculous claims. Salomed, Matt MSV7, Gorgeous, Placid, holocaust deniers and a whole range of idiots come to the forum and make their claims. Salomed, Matt MSV7, Gorgeous, Placid, holocaust deniers and the same whole range of idiots complain when their stupid claims are pulled apart..........yet they keep coming back because they get attention.
:lol:

The Skeptic Society Motto : "Promoting science and critical thinking"

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26342
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:42 am

salomed wrote:.... yes, at school there was talk of me going in the class for ESN pupils.
ESN is the European program to integrate mentally handicapped students in normal schools. I'm guessing Salomed is admitting he didn't get integrated into a normal class with other ESN students and remained behind.

Oddly Salomed used the German word Montag (Monday) once, to hint he was German. However he later made the hilarious claim that "we round down numbers in my country" which is obviously total crap for Germany.


Beleidige das deutsche Volk nicht so, wenn du nicht deutsch bist.

However, poor Salomed forgot his trade-craft to maintain character and kept using inches as a measurement in his posts and even more so when he was promoting the "6 inch alien." :lol:

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:30 am

Salomed can't possibly be German. He's far too emotional and illogical, and he lacks educational basics. I lived in Germany for a month, staying with a family. Everyone I met was eminently practical, from the eldest down to the teenagers.

"Inches?" LOL. Nope. Not German.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26342
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:51 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:Salomed can't possibly be German.
Of course he isn't German. :D

Off Topic / Fun Concept / Shakespeare in other languages

Worf on Star Trek cracked a joke twenty years ago. "You have not read Shakespeare until you have read it in Klingon" The joke is an old literary joke.

When Russians read Shakespeare, they read Shakespeare translated into Russian modern vocabulary. They can follow the story line with ease. For the Germans, Elizabethan English still retains Germanic syntax. "It is cold to me" rather than "I'm cold". German speakers are already comfortable with Shakespeare's syntax.
:D

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19623
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:05 am

Image
Gesundheit
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4806
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:22 pm
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk
Location: Detroit
Contact:

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby Austin Harper » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:43 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:Off Topic / Fun Concept / Shakespeare in other languages
Worf on Star Trek cracked a joke twenty years ago.
"You have not read Shakespeare until you have read it in Klingon"
The joke is an old literary joke.


Matthew, you fool. It was Chancellor Gorkon, not Worf!
phpBB [video]
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29080
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby Gord » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:46 pm

Austin Harper wrote:Matthew, you fool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3djXcx2ewQ
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26342
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:44 pm

Austin Harper wrote:Matthew, you fool. It was Chancellor Gorkon, not Worf!
I retract my claim, as Austin has found better information. It was indeed Klingon Chancellor Gorkon.

I was fascinated and enjoyed all the related internet links to Klingon and Shakespeare. I can confirm that Trekkies have a sense of humour when I read their claim that Shakespeare was actually Klingon.
Klingon Shakespeare.jpg
Klingon Hamlet.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Return to “UFOs, Cryptozoology, and The Paranormal”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest