The Shroud Of Turin

PSI, Mediums, Ghosts, UFOs, Things That Go Bump In The Night
Confidencia
Poster

Re: The Shroud Of Turin

Postby Confidencia » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:54 pm

Poodle wrote:You're wrong. You should care.

Why should he care whether he is right or wrong, besides the fact that he is no more wrong than anybody else here, the false is always relative and based on a matter of opinion. Whether yours, mine or anybody else's makes no difference. Opinions change according to your state of mind, likes and dislikes. They are always tainted with some desired outcome which will always be clouded by emotional overtones. Even your observations are based on your imaginings. What do you know that you have not already recognised? What matters is beyond recognition, unless of course your name happens to be dr ellard the textbook massive who constantly needs a nipple to suck.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:05 am

Shaka wrote:Why should he care whether he is right or wrong, .
He's trying to sell his book, you idiot and his plan to start a viral campaign on skeptic forums backfired.

Why do you care when all make fun of you? You have changed your forum name ten times and keep sneaking back in to get our attention. You are more desperate than he is.
:lol:

Cygnus_X1
Frequent Poster

Postby Cygnus_X1 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:35 am

The biggest problem with the Turin shroud is that Jesus almost certainly didn't look like a long haired medieval Viking warrior. The guy in the Turin shroud is the start of the long haired Nordic hippy myth, and the face is distinctly European. Yet Jesus was a first century Palestinian and would not have had long hair. Indeed it is inconceivable that Paul ( who knew members of Jesus family ) would have written against men having long hair if Jesus himself had been a hippy. The shroud clearly represents the later European-ised image of Jesus...and thus cannot be 'genuine'.
100,000 lemmings can't be wrong.

KevinLevites
Poster

Postby KevinLevites » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:00 am

Cygnus_X1 wrote:The biggest problem with the Turin shroud is that Jesus almost certainly didn't look like a long haired medieval Viking warrior. The guy in the Turin shroud is the start of the long haired Nordic hippy myth, and the face is distinctly European. Yet Jesus was a first century Palestinian and would not have had long hair. Indeed it is inconceivable that Paul ( who knew members of Jesus family ) would have written against men having long hair if Jesus himself had been a hippy. The shroud clearly represents the later European-ised image of Jesus...and thus cannot be 'genuine'.

I agree with most of your points, but a few are left out.

At the time of Christ (if he existed), Jews were buried with their hands crossed on the chest...not over the genitals (as in the Shroud).

The Shroud was dismissed as a pious fraud when it first seemed to surface about 700 years ago.

And so forth.

I think that such hoaxes as the Shroud (and other religious scams) are a shame, since they detract from honest belief and, in my mind, turn spirituality (which I have no problem with, and rather respect) into superstition (which I have tons of problems with, and don't respect).

The whole Shroud hoax reminds me of a saying which is attributed to Buddha:

"If a man on the side of the road says he's Buddha...you should kill him.
"Why?
"Because he's a fraud since the real Buddha is within you."

Even if it is the real burial shroud of Jesus...it means nothing. Is someone going to be more of a Christian and...somehow...closer to God if they touch it?

I don't think so.

The Shroud isn't worth the time and effort that people invest in it even if it was real--which it patently isn't--so how much more of a waste when it's solidly established as a fraud?

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:37 pm

If they did to me what they did to him, I'd definitely have my hands over my genitals.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:03 pm

Ah, but what it tells us is that that's from His second (puritan) burial!

OK, all you, who're still waiting, you can go home now.
Hi, Io the lurker.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:24 pm

Poodle wrote:If they did to me what they did to him, I'd definitely have my hands over my genitals.

They put nails through his hands. You might want to think about that . . .
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:38 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Poodle wrote:If they did to me what they did to him, I'd definitely have my hands over my genitals.

They put nails through his hands. You might want to think about that . . .

Your hands might get stuck?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:07 pm

:laff:
Hi, Io the lurker.

KevinLevites
Poster

Postby KevinLevites » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:01 am

Holy relics are objects for venoration...which, in my mind, qualifies as idolatry, which is specifically and repeatedly rejected by all forms of Judaism and all forms of Christianity...not to mention Islam.

The shroud is a historical artwork...nothing more.

Return to “UFOs, Cryptozoology, and The Paranormal”