People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

PSI, Mediums, Ghosts, UFOs, Things That Go Bump In The Night
Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26757
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:49 am

gorgeous wrote:lunatic will learn...
Whoops Gorgeous......you are becoming incoherent again. Remember, your next big aim in life is to learn how to write complete sentences. :lol:

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:51 am

gorgeous wrote:lunatic will learn...

No doubt. I spend quite a bit of time learning.

Oh...you mean "learn from you?" How should I put this...Image
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Posts: 10209
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby Lance Kennedy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:51 am

Matthew

Call it a systematic process if you like.
Personally, I think it is a bit unrealistic to deny belief. We all have things we believe in. I believe in biological evolution, for example. You might, if you are being purist try to argue that evolution is just a very probable reality, but that is a quibble.

Anthony
Account Locked
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:03 am

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby Anthony » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:01 am

Err, I guess I should clarify what I'm thinking right now

Testimonial evidence is faulty, obviously

But these testimonies claim that, while most mediums are con artists/crazy, there are a few genuine ones, who generally either offer their "gift" for free or for barely any cost at all.

Generally they think the more lowkey ones are the ones who are legit

Also, we know for a fact that some mediums do genuinely believe they have powers

https://www.google.co.id/amp/s/amp.redd ... l_mediums/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Paranormal/com ... mment_list

Like just all the comments. Do we just assume they were lying? But a lot of them are "rated trustworthy users" and lying out of the blue for one post would be strange, nevermind all of them.

So I guess I'm wondering how people have tested mediums that fit those archetypes. Non-flamboyant ones, the more lowkey ones being tested.

To not seem like a woo spammer, I'll say

These are generally just testimonies, but there's very little incentive to lie, the users seem to have trustworthy history based off of post history, so I don't know what to think tbh. Like do we just assume they are lies? Like obv there are too many to recount.

My pov is probably the girl might be screwing with the guy/knows things about the grandpa through previous research of suff too for the first comment, others may just be lies or coincidences

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26757
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:13 am

Anthony wrote:Err, I guess I should clarify what I'm thinking right now
Yes Matt MVS7. You really should.

Anthony wrote:Do we just assume they were lying?
This has already been explained to you twice. Either they are con artists or deluded people suffering normal psychological bias.

Do not add anymore links. Set out the specific event, in your own words and all the evidence, you think is evidence for the paranormal claim.

Anthony
Account Locked
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:03 am

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby Anthony » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:27 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Anthony wrote:Err, I guess I should clarify what I'm thinking right now
Yes Matt MVS7. You really should.

Anthony wrote:Do we just assume they were lying?
This has already been explained to you twice. Either they are con artists or deluded people suffering normal psychological bias.

Do not add anymore links. Set out the specific event, in your own words and all the evidence, you think is evidence for the paranormal claim.


Im sorry but I feel you don't understand what I am saying

Links are just links to a bunch of testemonies. Obv there is bias but I don't see reasons for outright lying.
Like it's just the amount of testemonies on those links mean I'm not sure if they can be considered just outright lies, considering users don't seem to have an untrustworthy post history, and they don't generally seem to post on paranormal forums

It's just a small read of comments like I don't think it makes sense to try to generalize a bunch testimony since it's like not a certain one above another one.

If I were to try to generalize it it would be something like "oh most mediums r scammers but this one medium/my sister is a medium and/etc and they said ... and there's no way it could have been a cold reading since it was so specific/we never talked about it/we just met" etc etc.

so since I doubt we can just say they all are lying? Con artists doesent make sense for a few because they aren't charging/are charging so little.

Like can you please read the links and tell me ur general thoughts based off of those stuff?

I get why you guys wont waste ur time with the videos, but it's just like a quick read, idk how to dispute it, I feel the way I summarize it might be wrong, and idk like it's extremely important to me these are like not proof if we can assume they aren't lying.

I don't want to sound overdramatic. But when I say this stuff gives me anxiety attacks and stuff I'm not just like saying it stresses me out, like my mom legitimately is thinking about bringing me to a therapist and doesent let me near sharp objects because she's afraid I might kill myself (I would never obviously, would hurt fam members too much)

I'm sorry if I'm being a bit annoying or asking the same things over and over again it's just im really really really stressed out about this stuff, and it's legit right before I'm supposed to have the "best summer of my life" so I just want to get this over with quickly. Please.

Like I know I'm just an online guy and I could be a troll/liar, but I'm serious when I say I really need this and stuff

So I know what I'm asking might be much. I'm not asking you to watch the yt video back then just ignore that link. But as for the reddit links and testimonies just please just read he testemonies and tell me ur honest opinions on it.
Last edited by Anthony on Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26757
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:34 am

Anthony wrote: Like can you please read the links and tell me ur general thoughts based off of those stuff?

No. Can you set out the paranormal claims in your links, in your own words, and then set out the evidence presented that the claims are real. If you can't then go away.

I am not going to waste my time reading testimonies when you can't even set out the original claim and evidence for that claim.

Anthony
Account Locked
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:03 am

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby Anthony » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:38 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Anthony wrote: Like can you please read the links and tell me ur general thoughts based off of those stuff?

No. Can you set out the paranormal claims in your links, in your own words, and then set out the evidence presented that the claims are real. If you can't then go away.

I am not going to waste my time reading testimonies when you can't even set out the original claim and evidence for that claim.


Wait what? They are just testemonies of mediumship and stuff lol I thought I said that

The original claim is mediums are real

The evidence is the testimonies. There are more than one and it's obv situational, lying doesent make sense for most of them as an excuse.

Like It's legit just 5-6 quick testimonies, each hardly a paragraph. like could you please just read it?

Like legit, im actually begging you, like I'm seriously saying it would change my life right now if you could help me out with this and I know I'm a random online person that you don't give a damn about but seriously, just please, I'm not lying when I say it would help a lot.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26757
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:47 am

Anthony wrote: The original claim is mediums are real. The evidence is the testimonies.
That is not an experiment nor evidence. Stop wasting my time showing me idiotic people believe stupid things. I only want to see specific claims for the paranormal backed up by evidence.

The Easter Bunny is real. Parents leave out milk so it must be true,
Santa is real. Children write to Santa so it must be true,
Star Wars is a real story. People claim they are Jedi on the census so it must be real.


Do you think this is evidence that Star Wars, Santa and the Easter Bunny are real or that idiots exist?
.

Anthony
Account Locked
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:03 am

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby Anthony » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:54 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Anthony wrote: The original claim is mediums are real. The evidence is the testimonies.
That is not an experiment nor evidence. Stop wasting my time showing me idiotic people believe stupid things. I only want to see specific claims for the paranormal backed up by evidence.

The Easter Bunny is real. Parents leave out milk so it must be true,
Santa is real. Children write to Santa so it must be true,
Star Wars is a real story. People claim they are Jedi on the census so it must be real.


Do you think this is evidence that Star Wars, Santa and the Easter Bunny are real or that idiots exist?
.


the claim is are mediums real

The evidence are the testemonies, and the fact that most testemonies are from users Who, based of post history, it doesent seem realistic to say they are lying.

Like I'm sorry. I know I'm wasting your time. I'm asking this as a favor. It's just a few paragraphs in total and It's legitimately messing up my life and the people around me so I'm asking you this as a favor. It'll only take a few minutes maybe. I know I'm an online person and you have no reason to trust me but I'm actually telling the truth when I say it would legitimately change my life in a good way. Like I don't know how I can prove I'm not this matt mvs5 person.

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Posts: 10209
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby Lance Kennedy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:56 am

Anthony

Testimonies are of no value. The world is full of testimonies for things that are plain lies. If you came across a peer reviewed and reputable scientific journal that reported on research showing genuine communication with the dead, then we might take note. But human beings are prone to delusion, including self delusion. Human perception is prone to detecting what is believed rather than what is real. Human memory is prone to changing over time so as to remember what the person believes, rather than what happened. Testimonies are not of value. If you want to provide evidence, find something credible.

There is a case on record of a woman who was raped by a big black guy. She was determined to memorise his every feature so she could identify him later. She picked the wrong guy from an identity parade. The innocent man was tried and convicted and sent to death row. His life was saved only because DNA testing was invented, and he was found to be innocent. This shows how fallible testimonies are.

Anthony
Account Locked
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:03 am

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby Anthony » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:02 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Anthony

Testimonies are of no value. The world is full of testimonies for things that are plain lies. If you came across a peer reviewed and reputable scientific journal that reported on research showing genuine communication with the dead, then we might take note. But human beings are prone to delusion, including self delusion. Human perception is prone to detecting what is believed rather than what is real. Human memory is prone to changing over time so as to remember what the person believes, rather than what happened. Testimonies are not of value. If you want to provide evidence, find something credible.

There is a case on record of a woman who was raped by a big black guy. She was determined to memorise his every feature so she could identify him later. She picked the wrong guy from an identity parade. The innocent man was tried and convicted and sent to death row. His life was saved only because DNA testing was invented, and he was found to be innocent. This shows how fallible testimonies are.


Don't worry, I do realize testomonial evidence is generally just completely BS

I'm just asking this.

Can you please read the testemonies, and if they aren't lying since I feel it's unrealistic that they are simply lying, tell me what you honestly think of them? Yeah, I know it might not be legit and I know I'm kind of wasting your time but I'm just asking for a favor. Like I don't know how to prove that I'm really having anxiety/panic attacks because of these things like I'm tempted to just PM links of my messanger discussions at this rate so just please read the testemonies in the links (there are only a few, each barely a paragraph long) and tell me what you honestly think about them.

I understand the flaws of testemonies but it's just with these, with the liar explanation being almost completely thrown out im not sure about other explanations being valid. Just please I'm begging you just read the links and like tell me what you think about the testimonies. I will literally do anything if you do that

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26757
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:33 am

Omniverse AKA Matt MSV7 wrote: Don't worry, I do realize testomonial evidence is generally just completely BS
Then stop posting links to testimonials.

Omniverse AKA Matt MSV7 wrote: Can you please read the testemonies,
No.

Omniverse AKA Matt MSV7 wrote: I don't know how to prove that I'm really having anxiety/panic attacks
Why tell us. Go see your doctor about your panic attacks.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26757
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:47 am

Anthony AKA Omniverse AKA Matt MSV7 is sending me private messages stating his is an Indonesian student who is currently in the USA. :lol:

Anthony
Account Locked
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:03 am

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby Anthony » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:04 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:Anthony AKA Omniverse AKA Matt MSV7 is sending me private messages stating his is an Indonesian student who is currently in the USA. :lol:


I sent you one private message asking if you would read the testimonial and you said no.

I don't why you are posting here about it here. Like I'm assuming you don't believe this suff stresses me out and that's fine, I'm not here to convince you of that.

And, for clarification, I said I was a student in indonesia currently in the US

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26757
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:08 am

Anthony AKA Omniverse AKA Matt MSV7 has sent me a second PM. It's very funny.

Anthony AKA Omniverse AKA Matt MSV7 wrote: Pleaseeee. I'm a student, 16 years old, who lives in indonesia in america for summer vacation. I'm begging you. With all my heart please. Just please do this quickly for me. Please.
Matthew Ellard wrote:No
Anthony AKA Omniverse AKA Matt MSV7 wrote:I respect your decision, but why are you being such a dick about it?


Indonesian 16 year olds do not use the expression "Dick". I lived in Indonesia. :lol:

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Posts: 10209
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby Lance Kennedy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:37 am

Anthony

I had a look at a couple of your "testimonials ". They are no different to dozens of other fraudulent writings out there.

For a start, do not for a moment believe that the testimonial is actually written by the person whose name is attached. Lots of those testimonials are written by the medium him/herself, and is simply a lie to get you to waste your money on that con artist. When you see it begin with " I began as a skeptic ", you should realise that is standard wording for a false testimonial written by the swindler to suck you in. A testimonial is utterly worthless, and so many are simply works of total fiction.

Anthony
Account Locked
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:03 am

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby Anthony » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:24 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Anthony

I had a look at a couple of your "testimonials ". They are no different to dozens of other fraudulent writings out there.

For a start, do not for a moment believe that the testimonial is actually written by the person whose name is attached. Lots of those testimonials are written by the medium him/herself, and is simply a lie to get you to waste your money on that con artist. When you see it begin with " I began as a skeptic ", you should realise that is standard wording for a false testimonial written by the swindler to suck you in. A testimonial is utterly worthless, and so many are simply works of total fiction.



But my question is, since it's reddit and its not a "pro" medium site/post history of he person doesent indicate that they are interested in that stuff, can we still simply pin it down to lying? Or things like confirmation bias/remembering badly and stuff too.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26757
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:34 am

Anthony AKA Matt MSV7 AKA Omniverse wrote:But my question is..........
You don't have a question. You simply want to spam worthless NDE testimonials on a skeptic forum. ,

Try this forum. They will love to read the testimonials.
:lol:
https://forum.davidicke.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Anthony
Account Locked
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:03 am

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby Anthony » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:37 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Anthony AKA Matt MSV7 AKA Omniverse wrote:But my question is..........
You don't have a question. You simply want to spam worthless NDE testimonials on a skeptic forum. ,

Try this forum. They will love to read the testimonials.
:lol:
https://forum.davidicke.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3


I've posted one NDE testimonial here and said I don't care about it and said forget about it

In the articles I linked I posted beliefs on reincarnation post NDE, because that was what I asked in the topic. It wasnt asking whether NDEs are real or fake. None of these had testimonials nor anything suggesting NDEs are not from the brain. Scientific evidence for NDE is plenty, they probably are a result of a dying brain

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26757
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:41 am

Anthony AKA Matt MSV7 AKA Omniverse wrote:I've posted one NDE testimonial here and said I don't care about it and said forget about it
We have already forgotten everything you have posted as it is worthless.

Try the David Icke Forum. It's more what you are after.
:lol:
https://forum.davidicke.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26757
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:54 am

Anthony AKA Matt MSV7 AKA Omniverse wrote: I'm legitimately getting stressed out over this to be honest.
Aphrodite's Child wrote: I'm legitimately getting stressed out over this to be honest.

Jeeeeez....these trolls have short memories....... :lol:

Anthony
Account Locked
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:03 am

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby Anthony » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:04 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Anthony AKA Matt MSV7 AKA Omniverse wrote: I'm legitimately getting stressed out over this to be honest.
Aphrodite's Child wrote: I'm legitimately getting stressed out over this to be honest.

Jeeeeez....these trolls have short memories....... :lol:


I've said it before. My 3 accounts were davis1, Garnett, and the current one. I don't care if you believe me or not, but to keep on doing this is annoying.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19748
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:29 am

What happened to the "Garnett" account?
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

Anthony
Account Locked
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:03 am

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby Anthony » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:31 am

scrmbldggs wrote:What happened to the "Garnett" account?


Well I made it and I kind of deleted it before I did anything

Like literally my only post was on the help desk lol saying delete my account. Obviously when it got approved it got deleted lol

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19748
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:25 am

Anthony wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:What happened to the "Garnett" account?


Well I made it and I kind of deleted it before I did anything

Like literally my only post was on the help desk lol saying delete my account. Obviously when it got approved it got deleted lol

:laff: So we never even saw that one.

I wonder how often Pyrrho gets to do that. :jaded: :banghead:
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26757
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:34 am

Anthony AKA Davis1 AKA Matt MSV7 AKA Omniverse AKA Garnett wrote:I've said it before. My 3 accounts were davis1, Garnett, and the current one. I don't care if you believe me or not,
Good. Now piss off to the David Icke forum and stop pretending to be a 16 year old Indonesian rent boy who doesn't know anything about Indonesia.

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Posts: 10209
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby Lance Kennedy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:05 am

The secret to being a successful medium is honesty and fair dealing.

If you can fake that, you got it made!

Anthony
Account Locked
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:03 am

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby Anthony » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:03 pm

Deleted for privacy lol
Last edited by Anthony on Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11017
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:21 pm

A little to wrapped up in one's self are we? ((Also works with "warped" but I avoided that typo.))

Stick to narrow direct issues, and Matt might as well................... "might." We all tend to form.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:55 pm

Here's the problem...
Anthony wrote:Testimonial evidence is faulty, obviously

But these testimonies...
...are no different from any other testimonies. They're worthless as evidence. Dismiss them from your mind. Reasons why people might write testimonies:
• From a genuine desire to help others...rare.
• Because someone is paying them...frequent.
• Because people like to talk about themselves...also frequent.

If, as you say, you don't believe that mediums actually contact the dead, then these testimonies should be irrelevant. Yet you're making a huge deal out of them.

Anthony wrote:Also, we know for a fact that some mediums do genuinely believe they have powers
So? Delusions come in many flavors. And belief in the supernatural doesn't make it real.

Anthony wrote:Like just all the comments. Do we just assume they were lying?
I would assume they're gullible and fell prey to the medium's bag of psychological tricks. People who go to mediums already believe, so they're easily taken in by overly general statements like, "You've experienced a great deal of stress recently," which apply to nearly everyone.

Anthony wrote:And, for clarification, I said I was a student in indonesia currently in the US
I call BS on this. You write in sloppy American English and use American idioms. Like these:
Anthony wrote:These are generally just testimonies, but there's very little incentive to lie, the users seem to have trustworthy history based off of post history, so I don't know what to think tbh. Like do we just assume they are lies? Like obv there are too many to recount.

My pov is probably the girl might be screwing with the guy/knows things about the grandpa through previous research of suff too for the first comment, others may just be lies or coincidences

Run-on sentence. American Internet acronym. American slang. English acronym.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Electro432
New Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:09 pm

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby Electro432 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:34 pm

Lunanik, hello, and thanks for your consideted posts.

I see that in terms of mediums et al there may well be a brain chemistry/physics solution to any dubious woo. States such as hypnogogia were part of Tesla and Wagners's life to mention a few creative genious personalities - suggesting a link to creative problem solving networks?

The functioning of the amygdala may reveal much in terms of emotional problem solving? I seek answers as educational person, as so called brain function abberations are my bread and butter, so I'm curious as to what yourself and others think of how brain chemistry affects cognitive and motor function. If I've been vague, feel free to ask as to why.
"One's eyes are what one is; one's mouth, what one becomes."
Galsworthy

"The idealist walks on tiptoe, the materialist on his heels."
Chazal

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19748
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:16 pm

Your brain lies in self-defense and neurochemicals help recovering from the disappointment. ;)
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Posts: 10521
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:23 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Your brain lies in self-defense and neurochemicals help recovering from the disappointment. ;)


My brain tells me that I am attractive, intelligent, competent, and witty. Why on earth should those lies disappoint me?
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19748
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:27 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:Your brain lies in self-defense and neurochemicals help recovering from the disappointment. ;)


My brain tells me that I am attractive, intelligent, competent, and witty. Why on earth should those lies disappoint me?

Would you be very disappointed if you found out those weren't lies?
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Posts: 10521
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:55 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:Your brain lies in self-defense and neurochemicals help recovering from the disappointment. ;)


My brain tells me that I am attractive, intelligent, competent, and witty. Why on earth should those lies disappoint me?

Would you be very disappointed if you found out those weren't lies?


My brain is a self-centered little {!#%@}. It knows that its very existence depends on me not committing suicide in a fit of hopelessness and futility.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Posts: 10209
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby Lance Kennedy » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:14 am

Hello Electro.

Welcome to the forum. I hope you can contribute solid and rational ideas.

On brain chemistry. I suspect you are already aware that our bodies are chemical machines, and the brain is no different. The presence of, and response to, such things as acetyl choline, serotonin, dopamine, oxytocin and other hormones, and natural analogs to opiates demonstrate the chemical nature of the brain. Synthetic chemicals have an impact also, showing the chemical nature. My favorite chemical is found in red wine.

Electro432
New Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:09 pm

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby Electro432 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:31 pm

Hello scrmbldggs

How true! Haha that made me chuckle.

scrmbldggs wrote:Your brain lies in self-defense and neurochemicals help recovering from the disappointment. ;)



We are basically a big bag of chemical reactions. I often wonder if the emotions we manifest, are a form of electromagnetic discharge, if that makes sense. The emotions as a biproduct so to speak? If so, would that mean that some people could well be tuned into others discharging chemical reactions but at a very subtle level?

Just a thought.
"One's eyes are what one is; one's mouth, what one becomes."
Galsworthy

"The idealist walks on tiptoe, the materialist on his heels."
Chazal

Electro432
New Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:09 pm

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby Electro432 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:49 pm

Hello Lance, and thanks for the welcome.

I have many ideas, however as I lack a scientific discipline other than music, I'm mostly concerned with questions and discussion. Don't know If I have anything solid yet mainly due to lack of knowledge. Im close to my father, a scientific, technical sort, who has managed to dewoo me along the path of my life, as I have a natural tendancy towards woo subjects as they intrigue me. Over the years you become more discerning in terms of bs and Seti Seth stuff. I mean sea otters..... that one had me howling!

For what it's worth I enjoy the balance of varied opinions regular posters such as yourself present, so thanks for aiding my learning.

Juniper is my favourite in the bid that I produce more oxytocin and the world will be a happier place, well, at least in my home.
"One's eyes are what one is; one's mouth, what one becomes."
Galsworthy

"The idealist walks on tiptoe, the materialist on his heels."
Chazal

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19748
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: People who believe their powers, skepticism, etc

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:54 pm

Hi, Electro. Welcome to the gather.

Electro432 wrote:...I'm curious as to...how brain chemistry affects cognitive and motor function.

Interesting food for thought. For a chemistry aspect, scroll down to "A Pathway to Pleasure".

If I've been vague, feel free to ask as to why.

Why? :-P
.

Lard, save me from your followers.


Return to “UFOs, Cryptozoology, and The Paranormal”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest