What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

PSI, Mediums, Ghosts, UFOs, Things That Go Bump In The Night
Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26786
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:19 am

Our forum receives regular propaganda posts from the followers of Dualism.

(Steve Klinko, Placid, Confidencia, Clarifyit4me, Shaka, advaitaskeptic, Gustaave, consciousnessdualism, Devaraj, gachchy, and so on)

In essence, dualism is a loose religious belief system and cannot be set out in anyway as a scientific hypothesis, yet its followers all claim they are being scientific. Dualism is claimed by different followers, to explain ghosts, OBEs, NDEs, "God", clairvoyance, ESP, remote viewing and other magical fantasies.

This 10 minute video explains dualism and systematically explains all the logical errors. that allows dualism to be dismissed outright. I hope this helps members in their arguments against dualism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS4PW35-Y00

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZTCK8ZluEc

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11148
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:30 am

I don't know the term dualism. I assume I know it or parts of it under different terminology?......but always: maybe not.

Just if you have the time, can you favor us with what you think might be the strongest "position" / insight / or debating point that keeps this "non-scientific" BS afloat. JUST from what you have presented so far.....I'll guess it might be "arguing from ignorance" or the fatal flaw "real" science has of not being dogmatic about common sense?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11148
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:07 am

In Philosophy of Mind, Dualism is the position that mind and body are in some categorical way separate from each other, and that mental phenomena are, in some respects, non-physical in nature.
Dualism - By Branch / Doctrine - The Basics of Philosophy
www.philosophybasics.com/branch_dualism.html

Oh................. THAT thing. Boil it down: you buy into dualism when you honor rocks and trees as "teachers."
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29477
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby Gord » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:34 pm


QualiaSoup's videos are very enjoyable, but he hasn't made any new ones in 4 years. I wonder what happened to him?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 309
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby Confidencia » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:12 am

Gord wrote:

QualiaSoup's videos are very enjoyable, but he hasn't made any new ones in 4 years. I wonder what happened to him?


Dualism is an illusion but surely you cannot deny its appearance, even on the molecular level it is there. Have you never appeared to be in two minds?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26786
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:19 am

Confidencia wrote:Dualism is an illusion but surely you cannot deny its appearance, even on the molecular level it is there.
I can in seconds. ( Remember you ran away from this question in the other thread)

What was the dualist "observer" in the early universe, only populated by photons and hydrogen? There was no "observer". Therefore, as we know the universe exists, we can immediately falsify dualism.
:D

.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:35 am

Excellent videos, Matthew; thank you for posting them. It seems that quite a bit of junk science is based on substance dualism. Yet, not only do its adherents not have an ounce of logic to support their beliefs, they haven't even formulated a working hypothesis! It reminds me of the well-known "creator" fallacy: The universe exists, therefore something must have created it. Dualists are the same way; they've begun with a conclusion, not a hypothesis.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 309
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby Confidencia » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:12 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:Excellent videos, Matthew; thank you for posting them. It seems that quite a bit of junk science is based on substance dualism. Yet, not only do its adherents not have an ounce of logic to support their beliefs, they haven't even formulated a working hypothesis! .


There's no need to invent a working hypothesis for something so painstakingly obvious. Just look at the fact. You can see the subject and its object both are mental states under observation, but you cannot see the observer for you are the observer.

User avatar
Cadmusteeth
Regular Poster
Posts: 978
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:43 pm
Location: Colorado, USA

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby Cadmusteeth » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:25 pm

For something to observe anything it has to have some way of reacting to stimulus. Saying that it needs no explanation is a cop out.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:00 pm

Confidencia wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:Excellent videos, Matthew; thank you for posting them. It seems that quite a bit of junk science is based on substance dualism. Yet, not only do its adherents not have an ounce of logic to support their beliefs, they haven't even formulated a working hypothesis! .


There's no need to invent a working hypothesis for something so painstakingly obvious. Just look at the fact. You can see the subject and its object both are mental states under observation, but you cannot see the observer for you are the observer.

You are mistaken. This is the Skeptics' Society Forum, which is "dedicated to the promotion of science and critical thinking." Set out your hypothesis and follow it through the scientific method. Otherwise, take it to a "believe whatever nonsense you like" forum.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 309
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby Confidencia » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:50 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:Excellent videos, Matthew; thank you for posting them. It seems that quite a bit of junk science is based on substance dualism. Yet, not only do its adherents not have an ounce of logic to support their beliefs, they haven't even formulated a working hypothesis! .


There's no need to invent a working hypothesis for something so painstakingly obvious. Just look at the fact. You can see the subject and its object both are mental states under observation, but you cannot see the observer for you are the observer.

You are mistaken. This is the Skeptics' Society Forum, which is "dedicated to the promotion of science and critical thinking."


It maybe a skeptic forum, but the thinking here seems to be more along the lines of indentured servitude typical of the ignorant. Use the scientific method on yourself and you will certainly come to a different conclusion. Thinking based on preconception does not contain enough critical mass to even warrant an hypothesis. The lump of matter which you call the person is not the observer, it does not have any reality of its own it is interconnected and interdependent on the whole. Look closer before you follow the pied piper.

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 309
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby Confidencia » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:53 pm

Cadmusteeth wrote:For something to observe anything it has to have some way of reacting to stimulus.



Consciousness makes all things possible, awareness pervades it.

User avatar
Cadmusteeth
Regular Poster
Posts: 978
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:43 pm
Location: Colorado, USA

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby Cadmusteeth » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:18 pm

How exactly does that work? It's one thing to assert it, it's another to set out why it is.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:21 pm

Confidencia wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:Excellent videos, Matthew; thank you for posting them. It seems that quite a bit of junk science is based on substance dualism. Yet, not only do its adherents not have an ounce of logic to support their beliefs, they haven't even formulated a working hypothesis! .


There's no need to invent a working hypothesis for something so painstakingly obvious. Just look at the fact. You can see the subject and its object both are mental states under observation, but you cannot see the observer for you are the observer.

You are mistaken. This is the Skeptics' Society Forum, which is "dedicated to the promotion of science and critical thinking."


It maybe a skeptic forum, but the thinking here seems to be more along the lines of indentured servitude typical of the ignorant. Use the scientific method on yourself and you will certainly come to a different conclusion. Thinking based on preconception does not contain enough critical mass to even warrant an hypothesis. The lump of matter which you call the person is not the observer, it does not have any reality of its own it is interconnected and interdependent on the whole. Look closer before you follow the pied piper.

Whew! That salad is tough to digest without dressing.
Image
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29477
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby Gord » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:41 am

Confidencia wrote:The lump of matter which you call the person is not the observer, it does not have any reality of its own it is interconnected and interdependent on the whole.

Da fuq dat means? :|
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:23 am

Gord wrote:
Confidencia wrote:The lump of matter which you call the person is not the observer, it does not have any reality of its own it is interconnected and interdependent on the whole.

Da fuq dat means? :|
Allow me to translate:
Wall speaks windy hot mess. In worlds with pencils, schools page drink slime. Dirty slime amidst antiquated hoopla. Labels and rash, files are landing. Death wretched addled else finally chant mind sea backgrounds. Brightness foresees the rug.

All clear?
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29477
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby Gord » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:52 am

I hope not? :?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:07 am

My post makes as much sense. :mrgreen:
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26786
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:27 am

Confidencia wrote: It maybe a skeptic forum,
It is a skeptic forum. It says so in the title. Your observational skills are pretty terrible. :lol:

Confidencia wrote: but the thinking here seems to be more along the lines of indentured servitude typical of the ignorant.
Nope. Exactly the opposite. We sit here and enjoy watching loonies like yourself come back time and time again to entertain us with your ongoing confused and incoherent claims.

Remember, it is you who keeps coming back to us to learn from our wisdom. We don't go to you.
:lol:

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 309
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby Confidencia » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:49 am

Gord wrote:
Confidencia wrote:The lump of matter which you call the person is not the observer, it does not have any reality of its own it is interconnected and interdependent on the whole.

Da fuq dat means? :|


Nikki has already said it, although he/she does not understand the ramifications of its deeper meaning. No brain no consciousness. No consciousness no world. The body and the world appear at the same time.

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 309
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby Confidencia » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:58 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:Excellent videos, Matthew; thank you for posting them. It seems that quite a bit of junk science is based on substance dualism. Yet, not only do its adherents not have an ounce of logic to support their beliefs, they haven't even formulated a working hypothesis! .


There's no need to invent a working hypothesis for something so painstakingly obvious. Just look at the fact. You can see the subject and its object both are mental states under observation, but you cannot see the observer for you are the observer.

You are mistaken. This is the Skeptics' Society Forum, which is "dedicated to the promotion of science and critical thinking."


It maybe a skeptic forum, but the thinking here seems to be more along the lines of indentured servitude typical of the ignorant. Use the scientific method on yourself and you will certainly come to a different conclusion. Thinking based on preconception does not contain enough critical mass to even warrant an hypothesis. The lump of matter which you call the person is not the observer, it does not have any reality of its own it is interconnected and interdependent on the whole. Look closer before you follow the pied piper.

Whew! That salad is tough to digest without dressing.
Image


If you chew over it you will help the process. It is the same with information do not be too quick to digest what others are telling without verifying it for yourself.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8245
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby Poodle » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:18 am

Confidencia wrote:Nikki has already said it, although he/she does not understand the ramifications of its deeper meaning. No brain no consciousness. No consciousness no world. The body and the world appear at the same time.

What?
Oh, I see - good game. No Confidencia no BS.

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 309
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby Confidencia » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:22 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Confidencia wrote: It maybe a skeptic forum,
It is a skeptic forum. It says so in the title. Your observational skills are pretty terrible. :lol:


Confidencia wrote: but the thinking here seems to be more along the lines of indentured servitude typical of the ignorant.
Nope. Exactly the opposite. We sit here and enjoy watching loonies like yourself come back time and time again to entertain us with your ongoing confused and incoherent claims.

Remember, it is you who keeps coming back to us to learn from our wisdom. We don't go to you.
:lol:


Well there is always a chance that a real skeptic (one who does not quo with the existing status) might grace the forum and enlighten me. I am willing to learn. My first question is how did I come to be?

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29477
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby Gord » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:51 am

Confidencia wrote:If you chew over it you will help the process.

Only if you're trying to make puke.

It is the same with information do not be too quick to digest what others are telling without verifying it for yourself.

Welcome to the Skeptics Forum!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29477
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby Gord » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:52 am

Confidencia wrote:My first question is how did I come to be?

Your dad boinked your mom.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8245
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby Poodle » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:55 am

Confidencia wrote:... My first question is how did I come to be?


Well, your Mummy and your Daddy decided to have a little you and to do that ... .... .... .... .... .... ....
... ... ... ... ... and then you were born.
I hope you weren't sniggering while I told you that!

EDIT: Ah. I see Gord already gave you the Readers' Digest version.

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 309
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby Confidencia » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:23 am

Gord wrote:
Confidencia wrote:My first question is how did I come to be?

Your dad boinked your mom.


Please, do not give me this malignant qualia. I want food for thought not a scrap of bacon. I witnessed the birth of my body which puts me prior to it.

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 309
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby Confidencia » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:28 am

Cadmusteeth wrote:How exactly does that work? It's one thing to assert it, it's another to set out why it is.


What is is. There's no why about it. For anything to appear something must be there for it to appear to. Awareness is primordial, primary and fundamental. It is the common metrix in every experience, consciousness being the substance it contains is merely the totality of all experience.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29477
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby Gord » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:29 pm

Confidencia wrote:
Gord wrote:
Confidencia wrote:My first question is how did I come to be?

Your dad boinked your mom.

Please, do not give me this malignant qualia. I want food for thought not a scrap of bacon.

If you want food for thought, you'll need to spit out the crap you've already got in there.

I witnessed the birth of my body which puts me prior to it.

No.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 309
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby Confidencia » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:49 pm

Gord wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
Gord wrote:
Confidencia wrote:My first question is how did I come to be?

Your dad boinked your mom.

Please, do not give me this malignant qualia. I want food for thought not a scrap of bacon.

If you want food for thought, you'll need to spit out the crap you've already got in there.


I have, hence why I'm so hungry.

I witnessed the birth of my body which puts me prior to it.

No.


The fight is to the bitter end.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:36 pm

Confidencia wrote:There's no need to invent a working hypothesis for something so painstakingly obvious.
There is always a need to formulate a working hypothesis. Otherwise, no one knows what your argument is.
Confidencia wrote:You can see the subject and its object both are mental states under observation, but you cannot see the observer for you are the observer.
1. The object is not a "mental state under observation" if it is inanimate or without awareness.
2. I can certainly observe both myself (the observer) and the subject simultaneously if both are me and I'm looking in a mirror.
Confidencia wrote:It maybe a skeptic forum, but the thinking here seems to be more along the lines of indentured servitude typical of the ignorant.
Are you saying we all think alike? Clearly, you haven't seen us argue with each other...lol.
Confidencia wrote:Thinking based on preconception does not contain enough critical mass to even warrant an hypothesis.
Thoughts do not have mass. If they did, and they reached critical mass, your head would explode.
Confidencia wrote:The lump of matter which you call the person is not the observer, it does not have any reality of its own it is interconnected and interdependent on the whole.
Nonsense. My physical body includes the sensory organs which allow me to observe. It also includes my brain, which records, stores, and integrates the information provided by my sensory organs. Without my physical body, which includes both sensory organs and brain, I would be unable to observe or think about what I had observed.
Confidencia wrote: Look closer before you follow the pied piper.
Notice how I'm not following you? Maybe you need a new pipe.
Confidencia wrote:Consciousness makes all things possible, awareness pervades it.
Now you're back to solipsism, which only applies locally, but not universally. Locally, events that are happening outside my ability to observe them can only be said to be unreal if I take the position of a Fair Witness.
Question: "What color is that house?"
Fair Witness: "The side of it that's facing me is currently yellow."

Globally, taking the position of a Fair Witness will merely keep you ignorant and crush your ability to think about anything you have not directly observed.
Confidencia wrote:Nikki has already said it, although he/she does not understand the ramifications of its deeper meaning. No brain no consciousness. No consciousness no world.
It's "she." Obviously, there is no consciousness without the brain. But the world ticks along just fine when I go to sleep at night. Just ask those members who live on the other side of the world from me. What do you say, folks? Was the world still there from 0200-1000 GMT-4?
Confidencia wrote:The body and the world appear at the same time.
If the world didn't exist before you were born, where were your parents?
Confidencia wrote:It is the same with information do not be too quick to digest what others are telling without verifying it for yourself.
None of what you're saying can be verified. It's baseless speculation.
Confidencia wrote:My first question is how did I come to be?
Seriously?
Confidencia wrote:I witnessed the birth of my body which puts me prior to it.
Nope. Hey, here's an idea. You and gorgeous and the rest of the non-scientific crew should run off and start your own forum.
Confidencia wrote:What is is. There's no why about it. For anything to appear something must be there for it to appear to. Awareness is primordial, primary and fundamental. It is the common metrix in every experience, consciousness being the substance it contains is merely the totality of all experience.
I've run out of salad dressing. Perhaps a nice balsamic vinaigrette this time.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Kamil
Poster
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:44 am

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby Kamil » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:55 pm

Those videos are interesting. They make a lot of sense. I think for the most part, it's brain over soul. However, one thing still confuses me. It's about NDEs. The concept of a soul being non physical and being able to interact with the physical world makes little sense as you, Matthew have pointed out. However, I just wonder how people can have these experiences under anesthesia. As said before, the rate of anesthesia awareness during cardiac arrest is 1 in 1000. Yet, 10 percent of cardiac arrest patients have them and they feel totally real. That is one reason why I can't fully dismiss them.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:25 pm

Kamil wrote:As said before, the rate of anesthesia awareness during cardiac arrest is 1 in 1000. Yet, 10 percent of cardiac arrest patients have them and they feel totally real. That is one reason why I can't fully dismiss them.

Nikki to the rescue! :mrgreen:

Two of the most common sedative anesthetics are dexmedetomidine hydrochloride and propofol. Some of the side effects of propofol include hypoxia, confusion, delerium, abnormal dreams, euphoria, and hallucination. Some of the side effects of dexmedetomidine hydrochloride include hypoxia, confusional state, delirium, hallucination, and illusion.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19816
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:53 pm

Poodle wrote:
Confidencia wrote:Nikki has already said it, although he/she does not understand the ramifications of its deeper meaning. No brain no consciousness. No consciousness no world. The body and the world appear at the same time.

What?
Oh, I see - good game. No Confidencia ClarifiedNutter no BS.

fify :mrgreen:
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4860
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:22 pm
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk
Location: Detroit
Contact:

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby Austin Harper » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:51 pm

Confidencia wrote:I witnessed the birth of my body which puts me prior to it.

Get used to hearing this as long as you're here: Do you have any evidence to support that claim?
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29477
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby Gord » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:13 pm

Confidencia wrote:
Gord wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
Gord wrote:
Confidencia wrote:My first question is how did I come to be?

Your dad boinked your mom.

Please, do not give me this malignant qualia. I want food for thought not a scrap of bacon.

If you want food for thought, you'll need to spit out the crap you've already got in there.

I have, hence why I'm so hungry.

You're not hungry, you're full of it.

I witnessed the birth of my body which puts me prior to it.

No.

The fight is to the bitter end.

This isn't a fight, it's a head-shake. You're a nut, and we're tsking.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 309
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby Confidencia » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:33 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:
Confidencia wrote:There's no need to invent a working hypothesis for something so painstakingly obvious.
There is always a need to formulate a working hypothesis. Otherwise, no one knows what your argument is.


Duality in consciousness is not an argument it is a fact. Just examine yourself a little more closely. You are contradicting yourself all the time. What you say today you unsay tomorrow.


Confidencia wrote:You can see the subject and its object both are mental states under observation, but you cannot see the observer for you are the observer.

1. The object is not a "mental state under observation" if it is inanimate or without awareness.


There can be no consciousness without awareness but there can be awareness without consciousness. Consciousness is always of something whilst awareness stands alone.


2. I can certainly observe both myself (the observer) and the subject simultaneously if both are me and I'm looking in a mirror.


The person is never the subject, the subject cannot be an object in the consciousness. You see the mirror and the image in the mirror in your mind.


Confidencia wrote:It maybe a skeptic forum, but the thinking here seems to be more along the lines of indentured servitude typical of the ignorant.
Are you saying we all think alike? Clearly, you haven't seen us argue with each other...lol.


Of course not. No doubt you all have your own slant based on the illusion of an individual.


Confidencia wrote:Thinking based on preconception does not contain enough critical mass to even warrant an hypothesis.

Thoughts do not have mass. If they did, and they reached critical mass, your head would explode.


Absolutely! A thought is a material thing.

Confidencia wrote:The lump of matter which you call the person is not the observer, it does not have any reality of its own it is interconnected and interdependent on the whole.

Nonsense. My physical body includes the sensory organs which allow me to observe. It also includes my brain, which records, stores, and integrates the information provided by my sensory organs. Without my physical body, which includes both sensory organs and brain, I would be unable to observe or think about what I had observed.


Your words are wiser than you are, You are a victim of your own language. Look at your language closely. You say my body as if it is something aside yourself, like I would say my car, the car being the addition. There's is me one and the car two. What are you referring to when you say my or me ? Or when you say I am? Is it not the subject referring to its object whether that be the body or the car or anything else for that matter?

Confidencia wrote: Look closer before you follow the pied piper.
Notice how I'm not following you? Maybe you need a new pipe.


Good!

Confidencia wrote:Consciousness makes all things possible, awareness pervades it.
Now you're back to solipsism, which only applies locally, but not universally. Locally, events that are happening outside my ability to observe them can only be said to be unreal if I take the position of a Fair Witness.


Call it what you like. Awareness is not limited to consciousness, it is of all there is. You are limiting and restricting yourself to the narrow confines of brain consciousness, your thoughts and feelings. During your sleep brain consciousness is suspended. If you were more aware of your consciousness rather than just your thoughts and feelings in consciousness you would be aware of even your sleep as in knowing that you are sleeping.

Question: "What color is that house?"
Fair Witness: "The side of it that's facing me is currently yellow."

Globally, taking the position of a Fair Witness will merely keep you ignorant and crush your ability to think about anything you have not directly observed.


Thinking about that which you have not directly observed is the minds default mode of thought, it is called the imagination. You need no special ability it is what the mind does naturally. An infant is doing this all the while it plays. Reality is not a product of the mind, it cannot be imagined. It has nothing to do with what you like or rather what you don't like. It is what it is. The witness is neither fair or biased it sees what it sees, end of.



Confidencia wrote:Nikki has already said it, although he/she does not understand the ramifications of its deeper meaning. No brain no consciousness. No consciousness no world.
It's "she." Obviously, there is no consciousness without the brain. But the world ticks along just fine when I go to sleep at night. Just ask those members who live on the other side of the world from me. What do you say, folks? Was the world still there from 0200-1000 GMT-4?


I do apologise. Have you any proof that the world ticks along fine when you are asleep? What continues is the mental process. The world stops when brain consciousness is suspended and starts when it resumes. It is your memory that give you the illusion of continuity there is no continuation in existence, each moment is new and ever fresh.


Confidencia wrote:The body and the world appear at the same time.
If the world didn't exist before you were born, where were your parents?


They existed as a potential in consciousness as does everything else.

Confidencia wrote:It is the same with information do not be too quick to digest what others are telling without verifying it for yourself.
None of what you're saying can be verified. It's baseless speculation.


You and you alone can verify everything I've said here. The question is are you interested enough. Without interest nothing can be done.

Confidencia wrote:My first question is how did I come to be?
Seriously?


The question was merely put for your benefit, I already know how it happened.

Confidencia wrote:I witnessed the birth of my body which puts me prior to it.
Nope. Hey, here's an idea. You and gorgeous and the rest of the non-scientific crew should run off and start your own forum.


There are enough forums I need not invent another for the sake of it.



Confidencia wrote:What is is. There's no why about it. For anything to appear something must be there for it to appear to. Awareness is primordial, primary and fundamental. It is the common metrix in every experience, consciousness being the substance it contains is merely the totality of all experience.
I've run out of salad dressing. Perhaps a nice balsamic vinaigrette this time.


We can dress the imagination anyhow we like, it is all part of an acquired taste. But the facts remain and cannot be argued against hence the reason no flavours, colours or preservatives can be added.

Electro432
New Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:09 pm

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby Electro432 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:41 pm

Dualism is another social construct in line with a Jesus/Satan complex.
It's a hoodwink, so it's a timely critique.
:falloff:
"One's eyes are what one is; one's mouth, what one becomes."
Galsworthy

"The idealist walks on tiptoe, the materialist on his heels."
Chazal

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 309
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby Confidencia » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:52 pm

Gord wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
Gord wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
Gord wrote:
Confidencia wrote:My first question is how did I come to be?

Your dad boinked your mom.

Please, do not give me this malignant qualia. I want food for thought not a scrap of bacon.

If you want food for thought, you'll need to spit out the crap you've already got in there.

I have, hence why I'm so hungry.

You're not hungry, you're full of it.


Indeed, emptiness is my fullness.

I witnessed the birth of my body which puts me prior to it.

No.

The fight is to the bitter end.

This isn't a fight, it's a head-shake. You're a nut, and we're tsking.


If you do not like the head-shake then try the milk-shake. You can have it for the asking and they taste delicious too . But technically speaking each nut requires a bolt. My money's on usain.

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 309
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: What is Dualism? / Debunk Video

Postby Confidencia » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:56 pm

Electro432 wrote:Dualism is another social construct in line with a Jesus/Satan complex.
It's a hoodwink, so it's a timely critique.
:falloff:


Duality is not social it's mental.


Return to “UFOs, Cryptozoology, and The Paranormal”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests