Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

PSI, Mediums, Ghosts, UFOs, Things That Go Bump In The Night
KevinLevites
Poster

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby KevinLevites » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:15 am

I wonder if we have been contacted, and simply didn't recognize it for what it was.

There seems to be some (contoversial) evidence that killer whales may be as intelligent...but in a different way...than humans.

Killer whales are much more accessible that any alien intelligence that may or may not exist, yet we can't talk to them in their own language...although we seem content with capturing them for the purpose of entertaining us with the equivalent of dog tricks.

I can personally relate a story that partially backs up the idea that orcas have human-level (but not human-kind) intelligence.

I was in a glass walled boat watching a pod of killer whales on a tour, and I was a cigarette smoker at the time. A baby orca swam up to the glass to have a look, and I idly blowed smoke against the glass while this thing was checking me out.

It promptly swam back to its mother, got a mouthful of milk, and swam back to me and spit the milk into the water to imitate my cigarette smoke.

This shows:

1) Maybe a sense of irony or, perhaps, a sense of humor.
2) A desire for communication.
3) A desire for a game.
4) Sarcasm.
5) An insult.
6) Any combination of the above.

Any of these points seem--at least for me--to indicate higher intelligence.

If we can't speak to another native intelligent species that also happens to be a mammal...what makes anyone think that we would recognize an alien contact for what it is?

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:31 pm

KevinLevites wrote:I wonder if we have been contacted, and simply didn't recognize it for what it was.
While this is certainly possible, isn't it likely that an alien intelligence advanced enough for interstellar travel would have anticipated a language barrier? I mean, they would have been able to intercept the various transmissions we spew, recognize the patterns therein, and realize we do have languages. Why would they depend on a less advanced species to handle the communication aspect of the contact?

KevinLevites wrote:There seems to be some (contoversial) evidence that killer whales may be as intelligent...but in a different way...than humans.
Do you have any links? I'd be interested in reading the science.

KevinLevites wrote:Killer whales are much more accessible that any alien intelligence that may or may not exist, yet we can't talk to them in their own language...although we seem content with capturing them for the purpose of entertaining us with the equivalent of dog tricks.
I wonder why they allow themselves to be captured...or whether they're unable to evade capture for some reason.

KevinLevites wrote:I can personally relate a story that partially backs up the idea that orcas have human-level (but not human-kind) intelligence.

I was in a glass walled boat watching a pod of killer whales on a tour, and I was a cigarette smoker at the time. A baby orca swam up to the glass to have a look, and I idly blowed smoke against the glass while this thing was checking me out.

It promptly swam back to its mother, got a mouthful of milk, and swam back to me and spit the milk into the water to imitate my cigarette smoke.
That's awesome! You must have freaked out!

KevinLevites wrote:This shows:

1) Maybe a sense of irony or, perhaps, a sense of humor.
2) A desire for communication.
3) A desire for a game.
4) Sarcasm.
5) An insult.
6) Any combination of the above.

Any of these points seem--at least for me--to indicate higher intelligence.
I would tend to agree with your analysis. At the very least, the copycat behavior was indicative of a higher intelligence than most mammals, since its behavior had nothing to do with either survival or reproduction.

KevinLevites wrote:If we can't speak to another native intelligent species that also happens to be a mammal...what makes anyone think that we would recognize an alien contact for what it is?
The only way we might recognize it is that it would be so foreign to anything we'd experienced previously as to stand out.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:43 pm

gorgeous wrote:they are here ....they use telepathy...

Prove it... please use telepathy going forward. No more posts!

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:49 pm

:lol:

Lard, save me from your followers.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:02 pm

Most of the posts I send telepathically don't show up. I am assuming that Pyrrho is moderating them.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:12 pm

But he must be keeping a tight lid on his emanations. I didn't hear a thing when he was talking to himself and that broken tub in his basement. Or that stinky dead rodent. One would think there would have been some force behind those. :-P

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:48 pm

If your phone doesn't ring, is it because no one is calling, or is it because your phone is kaput?
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:01 pm

Yes.

(What's a "phone"?)

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:57 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:Most of the posts I send telepathically don't show up. I am assuming that Pyrrho is moderating them.

I tried thanking you telepathically, but it didn't work. I actually had to click the icon. Bloody substandard software.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:21 pm

Nice orca story, Kevin.

The explanation for why orca do not resist capture more effectively is that they are, to use the words of the science fiction writer, Larry Niven, among "The Handicapped ".

Niven includes this group in his stories. They are intelligent beings with no arms, and thus unable to manipulate the environment as humans do.

On Earth, all the cetaceans fit into this group. I doubt that any, including orca, are quite up to human intelligence, but we cannot know that for sure. Many are clearly very intelligent, but cannot make use of that intelligence as humans do, by making sophisticated tools.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:41 pm

cetaceans are highly evolved beings who take their forms to assist human learning...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:03 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:They are intelligent beings with no arms, and thus unable to manipulate the environment as humans do.

Wrong!

Evidence: http://drmcninja.com/comics/2009-06-0214p70.jpg

:P
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:09 pm

gorgeous wrote:cetaceans are highly evolved beings who take their forms to assist human learning...

No Gorgeous. Cetaceans (whales. porpoises, dolphins etc) are simply former land based animals that evolved so as to obtain food by returning to water. That's why they have legacy DNA and some whales are still born with legs.
whale with legs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:26 pm

Mere rational logic and good science will never get through fo gorgeous.

Actually, I have not quite decided whether he, she, or it is a troll, stirring up trouble is purely for the sake of being an arsehole, or whether he, she or it is just totally barking mad.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:33 pm

Simples: a totally barking mad vile troll.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:42 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:Actually, I have not quite decided whether he, she, or it is a troll, stirring up trouble is purely for the sake of being an arsehole, or whether he, she or it is just totally barking mad.
He suffers senility mixed with a range of personality disorders and self-identity issues. Everyone forgets former member PAMAM55 stopped posting before Gorgeous joined.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=18121&p=281846#p281846
No, we did not "evolve" from monkeys and apes and no an imaginary "God" did not create us. We are the product of much more advanced beings than us...and they still rule the earth to this day

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18032&p=281867#p281867
"Of course UFOs exist. You've seen IRREFUTABLE evidence. I can post literally thousands of youtube videos over and over again."

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=18121&p=281884#p281878
The human species was created by a reptilian looking race of beings. This has been documented in every ancient account and civilization. Their hybrids still rule the earth to this day- the royal families and others in banking, business, politics, etc

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=18121&p=281913#p281897
You only believe what you are TOLD by science, which is nothing more than a belief system like religion.

It is exactly the same vocabulary and promotion of conflicting "woo" stories that gives him away. As I pointed out, you can date Gorgeous by his promotion of "Seth", a late 1960's cult that reached its peak in the early 1970's.
Last edited by Matthew Ellard on Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KevinLevites
Poster

Postby KevinLevites » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:47 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:Nice orca story, Kevin.

The explanation for why orca do not resist capture more effectively is that they are, to use the words of the science fiction writer, Larry Niven, among "The Handicapped ".

Niven includes this group in his stories. They are intelligent beings with no arms, and thus unable to manipulate the environment as humans do.

On Earth, all the cetaceans fit into this group. I doubt that any, including orca, are quite up to human intelligence, but we cannot know that for sure. Many are clearly very intelligent, but cannot make use of that intelligence as humans do, by making sophisticated tools.

Thank you for replying to my post.

I do have a question that I haven't found an answer to.

In humans, at least, mathematical ability and musical talent seem to go hand-in-hand...perhaps because of brain wiring. Einstein was a musician who played the fiddle, and many other scientists and mathematicians play musical instruments in their spare time.

Even Malcolm X had something to say about this in his autobiography (as dictated to Alex Haley): He knew a numbers runner--who managed an illegal gambling business--who kept a lifetime of bets with perfect accuracy in his head...with no notes or any other paperwork. This guy evidentally also played a mean jazz piano.

Cetaceans live in a world of sound.

Has anyone analyzed their vocalizations on a computer to see if there are any mathematical patterns and/or consistancies?

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:16 am

they are evolved beings..you will learn...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:27 am

Kevin

People have tried.

The problem is that cetacean vocalizations are very, very different to our own. And I do not just mean that they are ultrasonic. So little progress has been made. It appears that some (like The bottlenose dolphIn) have quite sophisticated communication. So much so that some scientists have claimed they have a language. That is still unproven , though. But some sounds have been matched to objects. This includes some sounds that appear to be the equivalent of names of individuals.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:27 am

gorgeous wrote:they are evolved beings..you will learn...
We know whales are evolved animals you complete idiot. :lol:

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:31 am

Lance Kennedy wrote: It appears that some (like The bottlenose dolphIn) have quite sophisticated communication.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf_BR1StMxQ

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:32 am

beings...not animals...more evolved than humans...which it why they are helping humans...

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:42 am

gorgeous wrote:beings...not animals...more evolved than humans...which it why they are helping humans...

Whales are animals, you idiot. They share legacy DNA with hippos as they evolved from a common ancestor.
Scientists find missing link between the whale and its closest relative, the hippo
https://phys.org/news/2005-01-scientist ... ative.html

Gorgeous? Do you even know what DNA is? :lol:

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:51 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Nice orca story, Kevin.

Except for the Akhlut, which Niven used in The Barsoom Project. :mrgreen: Still, no opposable thumbs. :good:

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:06 am

KevinLevites wrote:In humans, at least, mathematical ability and musical talent seem to go hand-in-hand...perhaps because of brain wiring.
I am the unfortunate exception to that rule, if it is a rule.

I took twelve years of classical piano, and was quite proficient, to the extent that I could play, from memory, Scott Joplin's Maple Leaf Rag, which is a difficult piece because of its syncopated timing. (I'm horribly out of practice right now.) But I had difficulty with Algebra I. I did better with Geometry, perhaps because there was a visual element.
https://youtu.be/0B04--XmZiE

KevinLevites
Poster

Postby KevinLevites » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:54 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Kevin

People have tried.

The problem is that cetacean vocalizations are very, very different to our own. And I do not just mean that they are ultrasonic. So little progress has been made. It appears that some (like The bottlenose dolphIn) have quite sophisticated communication. So much so that some scientists have claimed they have a language. That is still unproven , though. But some sounds have been matched to objects. This includes some sounds that appear to be the equivalent of names of individuals.

Thank you for answering.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:46 am

:cry: Looks like the orcas are teaching humans a thing or two...

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:31 am

scrmbldggs wrote::cry: Looks like the orcas are teaching humans a thing or two...

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country." :glare: I hate people who do that....
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:25 am

Buncha alien cunts.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:22 pm

Gord wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote::cry: Looks like the orcas are teaching humans a thing or two...

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country." :glare: I hate people who do that....

Yeeesh :roll:

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:08 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:The explanation for why orca do not resist capture more effectively is that they are, to use the words of the science fiction writer, Larry Niven, among "The Handicapped ".

They just need suits like Poipoider
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:15 pm

They have fish in space suits coming to Station Alpha in "Valerian".
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:01 pm

How do they do fire?
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:06 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:How do they do fire?

Usually a memo to Human Resources...

Cygnus_X1
Frequent Poster

Postby Cygnus_X1 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:55 pm

" Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens "

How about simply....there aren't any ? At least not within contactable range.

I'll now hand Occam his razor back.
100,000 lemmings can't be wrong.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:28 pm

Cygnus_X1 wrote:" Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens "

Something like 2,000,000,000,000 galaxies, but intelligent life has to be within hailing distance. Yeah, right.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:44 pm

"Lieutenant Uhura, open a hailing frequency."
"Which frequency, Captain?"
"..."

Cygnus_X1
Frequent Poster

Postby Cygnus_X1 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:48 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Cygnus_X1 wrote:" Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens "

Something like 2,000,000,000,000 galaxies, but intelligent life has to be within hailing distance. Yeah, right.

To me the question is not whether there is other intelligent life out there, but how far away the nearest example is. There's a density below which we would likely never know if other civilisations existed. There could be billions of civilisations, but if the average density is one per galaxy...what we would observe would be no different to being totally alone. I suspect that is the reality.
100,000 lemmings can't be wrong.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:44 pm

Cygnus_X1 wrote:
To me the question is not whether there is other intelligent life out there, but how far away the nearest example is.

That's what I said.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:54 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:"Lieutenant Uhura, open a hailing frequency."
"Which frequency, Captain?"
"..."

I'd expect better luck with a sunshine frequency; even a cloudy-with-a-threat-of-showers frequency would be better.

Return to “UFOs, Cryptozoology, and The Paranormal”